Looks like I am going to have to belly up to the bar and pay the full retail price for the phone. My question is, if I buy a Verizon BB Tour off ebay that is "new in box", will they still cover the phone if god for bid it breaks? For what I understand the seller of the phone bought it directly from Verizon (probably using an upgrade) and is now reselling it. Should there be any problems with warranty coverage as well?
    07-23-09 12:50 AM
    as far as I know it wont be covered by warranty if its activated on another account first ... warranty doesnt transfer over ... I bet someone will correct me if i'm wrong
    07-23-09 12:54 AM
    If it hasn't been activated, and he's bought it recently you'll be fine. You'll get your one-year warranty, and you can add insurance.
    07-23-09 12:55 AM
    yes i have recently bought a brand new blackberry off ebay.. and i got insurance and sure enough it broke and i got another free one..
    07-23-09 01:03 AM
    As long as the ESN is clear I should be all good, right?
    07-23-09 01:12 AM
    ^^^ Yes clean esn = green light
    07-23-09 02:50 AM
    Looks like I am going to have to belly up to the bar and pay the full retail price for the phone. My question is, if I buy a Verizon BB Tour off ebay that is "new in box", will they still cover the phone if god for bid it breaks? For what I understand the seller of the phone bought it directly from Verizon (probably using an upgrade) and is now reselling it. Should there be any problems with warranty coverage as well?
    As long as the phone is activated on your account, they will cover it if something happens; albeit it if you have insurance on said account. It doesn't matter if it's new/old in box- just as long as it's on your account and active (phone) at the time something happened.

What that means is you cant be currently using a Storm (active) trying to get a broken Tour replaced. They will only replace the active phone. Sprint does the same thing. Hope that makes sense.
    07-23-09 03:18 AM
    if you already have insurance it will carry over, however if you did not buy the phone from verizon without having insurance prior, you cannot add insurance, and warranty will transfer, verizon knows how old the phone is from original purchase date
    07-23-09 05:38 AM
    Insurance will cover lost/stolen and the like, but the warranty won't transfer from the original owner. Example..someone steals a storm bought on Ebay, insurance will cover the claim. However, if the screen didn't click right, or there was dust under the screen within the first 90 days, VZW wouldn't replace it because it was bought from another source.
    07-23-09 05:48 AM
    A while back I bought a used Bold off of ebay. I was still able to get it covered through warranty when it went nuts on me. The only thing I needed was the original receipt (it was less than 1 year old). They didn't give me any trouble over it and replaced it with a brand new one.

I think it also depends on the person you are dealing with at the store. I know the guys somewhat at my AT&T corporate store so that definitely helped.
    07-23-09 06:16 AM
    Warranty will not transfer and technically the insurance company can deny your claim if you keep insurance on it. When you activate a phone on your own or without extending your contract it shows in the VZW system as CPE (Customer Provided Equipment). Translation = You have no warranty or insurance options.
    07-23-09 06:30 AM
    I have to agree with the above statements... VZW knows the orginal time of purchase. You won't be able to get the insurance. Its like if I were to sell you a broken phone & you get the insurance, then get a brand new replacement!- don't think that would happen. There's a timeline from the point of purchase were you can get the insurance. But your not even getting the phone from VZW. looks like you'll just have to pay a few $$$ more & get it thru vzw. Besides the Tour is going for about thw same $$$ on ebay!
    07-23-09 07:15 AM
    I'm not disputing what you guys are saying and I do agree with donnation who said a lot of it can be based upon who you're dealing with when you either call/walk-in. I've always kept insurance on my account so I've never had a problem with any phone I've gotten off eBay when it broke.
    07-23-09 09:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD