Hows the build quality of this phone? I been hearing a lot about how RIM is trying to cut cost in light of the current economic meltdown and use cheaper parts to bring down cost (courtesy of RIM viigo news channels). For those who are in the know, how does this phone feel in this category and will cost saving tactics by RIM affect or has it affected the build quality of this phone in its demo form?
    04-15-09 01:05 PM
    Hows the build quality of this phone? I been hearing a lot about how RIM is trying to cut cost in light of the current economic meltdown and use cheaper parts to bring down cost (courtesy of RIM viigo news channels). For those who are in the know, how does this phone feel in this category and will cost saving tactics by RIM affect or has it affected the build quality of this phone in its demo form?
    I havent played with this but the people who have say the build quality is significantly better than the bold and on par with what they typically expect from verizon (which is a good thing).
    04-15-09 01:08 PM
    from what i have read the quality is great
    04-15-09 01:43 PM
    I havent played with this but the people who have say the build quality is significantly better than the bold and on par with what they typically expect from verizon (which is a good thing).
    I believe the build quality of the Bold to be just fine. It doesn't have any problems and is a solid device. As is the 9630. It's sturdy, no loose moving parts, etc. The build quality is on par with RIM's other full QWERTY physical keyboard devices.
    04-15-09 01:45 PM
    I believe the build quality of the Bold to be just fine. It doesn't have any problems and is a solid device. As is the 9630. It's sturdy, no loose moving parts, etc. The build quality is on par with RIM's other full QWERTY physical keyboard devices.
    Good to hear, thanks for your post!
    04-15-09 01:51 PM
    I'm still with my first but several of my friends have had theirs replaced for various reasons. Notwithstanding the storm, verizon's bbs seem to me to be built better than ATTs (even the curve).
    04-15-09 04:33 PM
    So far verizon has put out pretty sold devices and by the looks of the niagara, so far it looks like it will be a pretty study phone
    04-15-09 04:52 PM
    I'm still with my first but several of my friends have had theirs replaced for various reasons. Notwithstanding the storm, verizon's bbs seem to me to be built better than ATTs (even the curve).
    ...they're basically the exact same phone...

one is CDMA
    the other is GSM

that really shouldn't affect build quality...

UNLESS you're trying to say that RIM's playing favorites?
    04-15-09 05:20 PM
    few months ago in Japan, bold was shelved due to having overheating problem on keyboard while recharging. you see bold does have a problem. In UK, bold was shelved due to software problems with orange wireless carrier. please realized that no blackberry devices is safe from any problems and sames goes for storm and I expected that niagara will have that too in a later time. remember with storm they released that in nov in usa and decemeber in canada and they both have problems.

I admit I do not like anyone rubbing other people faces saying bold or whatever is best than storm or curve etc sames goes for niagara too
    04-15-09 07:38 PM
    The 9630 is a very solid unit. I think that the bold build quality is quite nice as well. Alot of the issues with the bold as far as overheating and the like seemed to do with the fact that it has about 14 (jk) radio and the processor is running at 900k mhz! But as far as CDMA devices go.. quite good.
    04-16-09 05:29 AM
    yea, I'm guessing that it will be on parr with the 8900 and the bold. But since I've only had a little time with either device, I'm a little clueless as to how well these things are built.

In a recent viigo article I read, it said RIM is known for slightly subpar build quality. I do know the iphone does feel like a heavy and solid (metal) device where as my curve feels like a plastic feather weight that can break if u just squeeze it a little.

So while I don't knock my curve too much (best smart phone of its time in my view), I like to point out these things and not get caught up in all the positives without looking at possible negatives
    04-16-09 06:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD