Maybe he watches law & order. I know a lot from that show =P
    06-28-10 03:48 PM
    It doesn't sound like there's much that you CAN do... That's is a really unfortunate predicament that you're in, I'm sorry things turned out like that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 04:21 PM
    You can unlock it for a GSM carrier or resell it. But I dont think hed sell you a phone then report it stolen.... He either found it or stole it.

And no, the cops will not do anything, What proof do they have he stole it? He could of found it and sold it which isnt against the law. Not to mention him not giving your money back isnt against the law either. He could of said he told you he found it.

For the future, have them meet you at the carrier store so you can check right there if the ESN is clean. Iv noticed that scares away thieves so youl only get ligit people.
    06-28-10 07:59 PM
    I hate to say this but this is a very expensive lesson to learn. If someone is going to sell a phone off Craig's List, if they were honest to begin with, would say they would meet you at the carrier's store. You can check it out there and if you like it then you can make sure you can activate it.
    I have sold two phones off craig's list. I had people try to scam me and I was smart to realize this. There are nasty people on Craig's List and you have to have the sense to not trust anyone. You wouldn't let someone take a test drive on a car you are selling without you being with the person. DONT give your money to a stranger on anything without knowing it can be activated and also certainly not off a freeway exit.

I hope you can get recourse on this person, but I doubt seriously that you can.

We have heard this happening a lot and you just have to be wise to it.

Again, I am so sorry this happened to you.
    06-28-10 08:10 PM
    I doubt youl switch carriers just to use it, so might as well sell it and get some money for it.
    06-28-10 08:36 PM
    DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.
    NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.

sorry to hear that man pretty, messed up. Hes not going to respond because he knows he jacked you. Not really sure of a solution if there is any
    06-28-10 09:27 PM
    hey to bad but I got a bridge I can sell ya LOL. Should have been more careful. Didnt ur mamma ever teach you that
    06-29-10 07:09 AM
    I had a Palm treo under Verizon that was stolen several years ago. I reported it stolen and was told the phone would not be able to be activated on Verizon's network. Six months later I start getting calls from an unknown number and when I answered the guy told me he was trying to get to his voicemail. By the tenth call I realize it was my stolen phone and he was using the voicemail speed dial key - that was programmed for my cellular number (it dials your number to get to voicemail). I call Verizon and they tell me the ESN I had reported stolen is now in use by someone else and I need to go to the police before they will do anything about it. When I ask why they activated it the rep told me she didn't know - it shouldn't have been activated but somehow it had been. Police were helpful and a week later I had my Treo back - minus my memory card and somewhat more beat up.

What I take from this is just because it's reported stolen doesn't mean someone won't get it activated.
    07-21-11 11:27 AM
    I actually am in law enforcement. I don't know about the other person. But he's actually not going to get in trouble. It's not his fault. But he needs to do something now. He needs to sue this person. He can be found from his e-mail address. The person probably stole the phone from a friend or found it and sold it. I would sue that guy and get me a brand new tour plus more money.
    The Same thing happened to me but what if they just used their email and gave you a lost/stolen phone and wont reply at all to your emails and i also bought it when i was out of town on vacation. i paid 200 for the droid incredible 2 and its reported lost/stolen.....Now what? lol I dont know what to do though. i tried everythign to contact the email address = No reply
    08-10-11 10:42 AM
    Sorry to hear this man. Hope it works out for you some how.
    08-15-11 09:00 PM
    In my state Theft of more that $200 is a FELONY, and the police would love to invstigate this. There are detective in some places that have craigslist deticated officers. They know the scams as well. Call em and tell them what happened. In america you get thrown in jail when you have a criminal motive. Not for buying a stolen phone not to your knowlege on CL.
    10-27-11 12:28 PM
    Watch out for people who don't accept Cash Only. They're usually scammers with sneaky ways of stealing your money or giving you bad payments that put you in a sketchy situation with your bank. Stick with Cash Only.
    08-29-13 07:55 PM
    I bought my telephone for $300 dallor an its no good I can't activate it the customer service said that its stolen an is on the bad list an I not from here.
    I moved here to Montana for few months and now guy won't email me back, is there a business place I can turn the company in to at?
    For them selling me a stolen phone. Please help me I don't know what to do.
    10-01-14 11:32 AM
    I bought a Samsung's s3 from a company names snap Comm an my phone I paid $300 dallor an I went to stores of Verizon an they said me can't activate it cause it on a bad list an now guy won't email me back. Is there a business I call to them snap Comm in?
    10-01-14 11:34 AM
    Give the police the email and any information you have

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 08:22 PM
    That's Craig's list for you. Why didn't you check for the IMEI number before you made a final purchase?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 03:05 PM
    Ok I know this post is old now but I still wanted people to know that I went threw this exact sitution, here's how mine went after purchasing the phone I called the provider told them exactly what happened to me the lady felt so bad for me, what happened that's she said she would see what she can do she got the phone unlocked somehow collected all the person info I had on seller and had police contact them, don't know much what happened after all I know was my phone worked, not only that they informed me that when they do this lock on the phones that after 6 months the phone can then be used so if its a verizon contract phone for example you can then use it pre-paid verizon.
    11-09-15 09:01 AM
    i spent $250 on this phone and i've tried contacting him through email about getting my money back but he won't respond to them. i need a way so i can use this phone
    Unfortunately that's the major downside to Craigs list. The majority of devices being sold ARE stolen. And without a refund policy or proper two way identification, you inherit the risk of buying stolen goods.

It's an unfortunate lesson to be learned I'm afraid.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    11-09-15 09:57 AM
    same exact jzt happened to me..so did you end up figuring out how to get to use the phone?.. if u did i would like to know..i bought my iphone6 from craigslist for 520.. now its useless...let me kno please..thank you... i used the phone for about 6 weeks before it was reported stolen...i contacted the guy..he replied saying he have no clue whats going on but i know it BS cuz i met him at this house which he is no longer there..he said hes out of country on a business trip and wont be back anytime soon...
    11-22-15 11:08 AM
    i dont wanna go into my whole story about what happened, because you guys could probly care less. well i got a tour for us cellular off of craigslist a couple days ago and i called the service provider to activate it and they tell me they can't because someone has reported it lost or stolen. now i know it seems fishy, i asked them, well i met the guy off craigslist at an overpass off the interstate to get the phone couldn't he have just called and reported it right after he sold it to me? they said yes, he could have. but basically i was talking to the guy through emails and the only info i have on him is his name and email address. i spent $250 on this phone and i've tried contacting him through email about getting my money back but he won't respond to them. i need a way so i can use this phone, is there any possible way i can? i have read something about an activation password, but im fairly sure the account holder of the new phone has to do that. help me!! thanks
    04-21-16 05:28 AM
    Are you for sure it can be unlocked.
    04-21-16 05:30 AM
    So i can go to another carrier.
    04-21-16 05:33 AM
    please tel me how to do this
    06-13-16 10:34 PM
    well i have his name and phone and email, so shouldnt i be able to tell the people what that is and they can remove it off his account? and about the cops, i dont even want to get them involved, believe me they are not going to help me out for a $250 stolen phone.
    Same thing just happened to me only mine was a $75 loss. Unfortunately only the owner of the account can because even with the info you have you need the account # and password... You have more info on your guy then I have on mine though. I found mine on that "letgo" app and didn't have any info except a map showing a roundabout of his location. And I unfortunately deleted the messages to him on the app and the text after the deal was done I don't even know the guys name
    09-10-16 05:24 PM
    Bro I'm not gonna even give you no run around at all ,,The cops will not do anything ,if anything write a report that they will never get back to you with and far as the phone you got 2 options turn it in if you don't feel rite let me remind you,You did not steal the phone bro so that's not on you and or you can get it unlocked and use it on another carrier,with that being done the phone will work normall no biggie bro and to be honest it's just like that ,He'll you spent 250 and u might have to spend 50/100 bucks more unlocking but at lease you can enjoy the phone you wanted and have ,forget what everyone else talking about cause 9/10 would be doing this same thing ,,people are so fake and just dumb I can say I read almost all feed backs and wow it really amazed me how dumb people can be ,At the end of the day you didn't do **** wrong at all and u shouldn't feel bad in any way so go jailbreak unlock the phone don't call no cops cause they ain't gonna do a dam thing and to be all the way real they might take it and send you on your way.and FYI don't listen to these dumb ****s on here talking bout turn it in ,call the cops,or you can't do anything with it ,,Bro you are good in every way now enjoy your fairly new phone and have a great one peace out
    02-02-17 05:57 AM
100 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD