I will be traveling to China and Taiwan next week for 2 weeks and got a loaner blackberry from work. It's some old 8820 on AT&T with a BES service activated through work.

I really want to just use my Tour over there since it's got all my stuff on it and it's not a million years old and been used by a bunch of other people. And just the convenience of having a camera and only having to carry one phone.

So last night, I called verizon and got the tour unlocked. I took out the SIM card from the AT&T phone and put it in my tour, switched to GSM and when it rebooted it found AT&T and connected to the network. Voice, text and internet work, but I can not get my BIS email set up again.

With the AT&T sim in there, when I log into Email Setup, it shows my emails and says they need to move them to the new device, when I hit move, it says move failed.

I also found where I could setup another BIS account or add the Enterprise account but I don't want to do that if it's going to mess anything up. I don't think work really condones this use of their SIM card, so I don't want to do anything that's going to be hard to explain when I return the loaner.

Is the BIS not working because the AT&T plan is BES? Is there any easy way around this? I've loaded leaked OS's and hybrids and stuff, but haven't really done much more than that with the phone and don't really want to. I was hoping this would be something where I could leave the AT&T SIM in there and switch networks and everything would stay set up I would just be getting my voice and data a different way.

So any thoughts, ideas? I searched all over and found someone having the same problems, but of course the thread ended a few posts after his with no resolution.

Thanks.
    Tim
    07-02-10 08:12 AM
    BES - You need to contact your IT department. The BES/device association is by physical device and has nothing to do with the SIM card. They will need to activate your BES account with your Tour. As far as your BIS information - Your BIS account is associated w/ Verizon right now. Verizon needs to release the device from their BIS before you can re-activate it on AT&T. Then when you return and are ready to go back to Verizon, you will need to do the same thing in reverse.

Be warned - Once you associate your device with your company's BES, they can do anything they want with it, including wipe the entire device and everything on it. Also getting all the BES information off your Tour after you return may be difficult.
    07-02-10 08:20 AM
    Thanks Network guy, you're warning is the main reason I didn't push to have my tour activated prior to this trip. I get my work email through outlook web access and it works good enough for me. But I did not want to let them have control of the device.

So without having BES activated on the tour, I won't be able to get BIS working? So if I were to have verizon release the pin, it still wouldn't work without BES activated? And what is involved with releasing the PIN? Is that something that could cause problems? Or is that normal procedure for international travel and something that I would need to do if I were to buy a sim card overseas with data and BIS capabilities?
    07-02-10 08:32 AM
    I understand that with your Tour still "connected" to Verizon, everything is working fine. The reason this is not working when you put the SIM card in your Tour is because the PIN associated with your Tour is assigned to Verizon. The same PIN can not be associated with two different carriers, therefore Verizon must "release" the device before you can use it with another carrier.

If you want to get your BIS accounts working on your temporary work device (AT&T), I would first try to de-associate the e-mail accounts from your Tour and then try to put them on your work device.

If that doesn't work, contact your IT dept. and see if they have some sort of IT policy on the phone preventing BIS.
    07-02-10 08:41 AM
    I had come across that in my searching, but I thought I had also read of people switching sim cards and their BIS emails working on both. But what you're saying matches what I am encountering.

I did try adding one of the email addresses that I have going to the tour on my work phone and it works fine. So there is nothing preventing BIS on the work plan. I did not have to de-associate the email addresses, but I just set them up like a new email and did not try and log in with my BIS account.

So I can use the work device for everything, I would just rather use the tour and I might be complaining a little about using such an old phone and not having a camera and having to re add BBM contacts and transfer phone numbers and all of that stuff.

And really, if it wasn't for work email, I can get the Gmail app to work with the AT&T sim in the tour, it's just there's no way to access my work email without setting it up as OWA or BES.

I guess the other option would be to have the Global data turned on for the tour and then just make sure to not use it for voice or text and deal with carrying 2 phones.
    07-02-10 08:59 AM
    In addition, there are probably security reasons why your office gave you a beat up old BB to take to China. Take it and be happy that you have connectivity.
    07-02-10 11:38 AM
    But I want to use my own phone. I'm not trying to scam work into a better phone. So I'm not sure what security reasons you're talking about.
    07-02-10 11:53 AM
    Then I recommend contacting your IT dept and have them activate your BB on the BES, hope they dont block BIS email accounts....
    07-02-10 12:13 PM
    I don't want my phone on the BES. I use OWA and it works fine.

But would that even fix this issue? If I have a BIS associated with this PIN already, can I put a BES through a different carrier on the same PIN? Won't I run into the same problems I'm having right now?

And if what I want to do, won't work without issues or risks that would affect with works plan or my plan/phone, then I won't do it. I'll deal with carrying 2 phones, I'll just have to rearrange pockets again.
    07-02-10 12:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD