There has been a fair amount of incorrect information posted regarding Safe Mode on the Tour, some of it by me, so I'm posting this thread to clear up the question once and for all.

It is possible to boot the Tour running OS 5.0 into Safe Mode. It *may be possible to make this work with OS 4.7, but I no longer have OS 4.7 and don't want to reinstall it to test the steps.

You can boot into Safe Mode either after a battery pull, or after an Alt-R.Shft-Del reset.

After a battery pull...
    1. Press the Esc Key and hold it down.
    2. Insert the battery and hold the Esc key thru the entire bootup process.
    3. The carrier logo will flash on the screen, then the screen will go black.
    4. Release the Esc key.
    5. Press any key and the device will boot into Safe Mode with the Verizon theme active.

After an Alt-R.Shft-Del reset...
    1. As soon as the screen goes blank, press and hold the Esc key thru the entire bootup process.
    2. The carrier logo will flash on the screen, then the screen will go black.
    3. Release the Esc key.
    4. Press any key and the device will boot into Safe Mode with the Verizon theme active.

I don't know what happens if you don't have the Verizon theme installed.

Thanks to Fellow Mods Reed and BigBadWulf for showing me the correct way.
    01-02-11 03:23 PM
    Thanks I have tried before with no success but will give it a try again sometime and see if I can get it.
    01-02-11 08:12 PM
    Awesome! Thanks for the post! I thought it wasn't possible with the Tour. Glad to see it is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-11 08:15 PM
    Its weird when you have the Verizon stock theme cod file removed, it will somehow revert to the VZW theme when you do the safe mode.

I've done it numerous times and it always goes to the VZW theme no matter what...I guess.

Thnx, •Tripster•

jeffh likes this.
    01-02-11 08:18 PM
    Its weird when you have the Verizon stock theme cod file removed, it will somehow revert to the VZW theme when you do the safe mode.

I've done it numerous times and it always goes to the VZW theme no matter what...I guess.

Thnx, •Tripster•

Thanks for clarifying what happens if you don't have the Verizon theme installed.
    01-02-11 08:35 PM
    Thanks for clarifying what happens if you don't have the Verizon theme installed.
    No problem, I just thought it was weird that it would revert back to the Verizon theme even though I removed the cod file and then i checked to see if going into safe mode somehow reinstalled the Verizon theme but it didn't.

I really want to know if going into safe mode has the Verizon theme cod somehow built into it but I'm not that tech savvy.

Thnx, •Tripster•

01-02-11 08:46 PM
    Why would I need safe mode?
    01-07-11 12:20 PM
    Why would I need safe mode?
    Sometimes if you install an app that doesn't behave well and makes your phone just rebooting so you can't delete it. If you can boot into safe mode without the offending app loading you can delete it in safe mode and be back to normal again without having to reinstall the OS.
    01-07-11 12:48 PM
    im sorry but what is the 'ESC' key on this phone?
    01-14-11 06:08 PM
    The ESC key is the counter-clockwise arrow key between the trackball and the red endcall key.

01-14-11 06:37 PM
    My 9630 OS 4.7 won't boot with the above instructions (or normally). Am I just out of luck? If I go to a Verizon store will I be able to get the phone wiped and start over (or is this something I can do)?
    02-06-11 10:54 AM
    As I noted in the first post, I don't know that Safe Mode is available in OS 4.7. You can recover your phone yourself, and you are more likely to succeed, by following these instructions from the BlackBerry 101 series: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ked-blackberry
    02-06-11 01:11 PM
    Thanks for the info....
    02-06-11 03:10 PM
    Thanks, I thought maybe other info about 4.7 had shown up since you first wrote your original post. FWIW: I never found any means by which I could start in safe mode, including the one outlined above.

I did end up reinstalling the OS (5), although in the end I couldn't use the approach you had outlined in the nuked article because I never saw the USB-PIN:UNKNOWN message - the only pin that ever showed was the correct one and so I couldn't proceed usefully. I tried the desktop software and it did manage to do the OS install for me, although with lots of fussing that I imagine might not have normally be needed. Thanks for your help.
    02-07-11 05:38 AM
    Great info to know thanks for the post
    03-04-11 04:57 PM
    I just tried this again today with my tour on OS 5. Followed to a T and still never get anything about safe mode. Is it in safe mode and just doesn't tell you it is? Seems nothing is different.
    06-22-11 08:59 AM
    i just tried it . it works. so far the phone didnt hang/freeze since morning.
    03-31-12 06:11 PM
    i just tried it . it works. so far the phone didnt hang/freeze since morning.
    ???????a?????? it sure works very well
    04-17-12 02:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD