hello all ... i got my tour in ny .. however i live in pa ... there are NO verizon towers near me or close by ...

I do have roaming and i know there is a T-Mobile tower and an AT&T tower .. where i know people who have both and have 4 or 5 bars of a signal where i have 1.

Is there a way i can use their towers? i saw there was a crackutil program ... is that JUST to get a blackberry to work ONLY on that system? or is there something i can do for a better signal in my area
    12-03-09 07:19 AM
    You will need to UNLOCK the device and then get a SIM card for AT&T or TMobile in order to use their towers.

Verizon is CDMA. AT&T and TMobile are GSM.
    12-03-09 11:21 AM
    With no coverage, you may want to consider switching providers. As mentioned above, get your Tour unlocked, and you can use it with either T-Mobile or AT&T, as those sound like more viable options for you.
    12-03-09 11:36 AM
    I have no coverage issues in Eastern PA EXCEPT near Honesdale, PA...

However, did you just sign a contract with Verizon to get the device?
    If you didn't move during the contract term you may have to pay an early termination fee....
    12-03-09 11:41 AM
    If Verizon knows that there is a service issue where you live, and they cant provide you with better service you can have them waive the contract without paying the fee.
    12-03-09 11:52 AM
    I have no coverage issues in Eastern PA EXCEPT near Honesdale, PA...

However, did you just sign a contract with Verizon to get the device?
    If you didn't move during the contract term you may have to pay an early termination fee....
    Wow I was just at lake Wallenpaupack in august and was unable to do *228. I called vzw and was told they have no towers or coverage there but I was able to use my phone and data no problem on another networks and towers. There was no roaming on my bill and this was also before my phone was unlocked. I was able to *228 from walmart in Honesdale.
    12-03-09 11:58 AM
    Wow I was just at lake Wallenpaupack in august and was unable to do *228. I called vzw and was told they have no towers or coverage there but I was able to use my phone and data no problem on another networks and towers. There was no roaming on my bill and this was also before my phone was unlocked. I was able to *228 from walmart in Honesdale.

I go by that lake all the time.....never did *228 but can make calls..
    12-03-09 12:02 PM
    Verizon does have a network extender you put it in your home you could even charge your nieghbor that might have verizon and you can add there phone number to the extender up to 300 numbers i had it when i lived on the beach in santa cruz ca and it worked good unfortiantly all carriers did not work there but i hooked up my nieghbors they were sad when i left...
    12-03-09 12:08 PM
    the network extender ... they want to charge $249 ... i am in milford or dingmans ferry ... at my house im good ... maybe 2 or 3 bars ... when im at work up on rt 84 .... im lucky if its 1 freaking bar ... my signal is the 1x thingy not the 1evx ... just sucks ...
    12-03-09 12:19 PM
    *228 ... i have to drive to the delaware river by port jervis or down over the dingmans bridge into nj to do a *228 ... sucks
    12-03-09 12:20 PM
    question ... how would i unlock my phone? and does that mean id have to leave verizon?
    12-03-09 01:23 PM
    question ... how would i unlock my phone? and does that mean id have to leave verizon?
    You do not have to leave verizon. They have a global number @ 1 800 711 8300 and they can unlock it there. From my understanding you need to have been with Verizon for a certain amount of time and have an account in good standing..Should you be a new verizon customer or they say they wont unlock your phone, there are company's that do it for a reasonable charge. Vzw does it free however..
    Last edited by dave3825us; 12-03-09 at 02:10 PM.
    12-03-09 02:02 PM
    what would i say to them exactly?
    12-03-09 02:50 PM
    what would i say to them exactly?
    Help?

Seriously, just explain the situation....
    12-03-09 03:15 PM
    They have a global number @ 1 800 711 8300 and they can unlock it there. From my understanding you need to have been with Verizon for a certain amount of time and have an account in good standing..
    Seriously? Awesome. Gonna check that out later.
    12-03-09 03:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD