My trackball doesn't even really work left to right anymore, so I obviously want to get a replacement. I bought the phone when it came out, back in July.

My question is, how does the replacement procedure work?

Do I have to ship my current phone back first, or will they send me the refurb, and then I ship back my old Tour back to them? I really can't go days without a phone.

What are people's experiences with this, and what would you suggest I should do?
    10-24-09 03:14 AM
    If you call to report the problem they will ship you a phone and then after you receive it and activate it,you ship the the defective phone back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-09 06:28 AM
    Yeah thats the easiest way. You have 10 days or somewhere around that to return the defective equipment otherwise they charge your account the full retail price for the phone. I didnt send mine back for a while once & i received my bill in the mail & had the charge on it. I had already sent the phone back so they took it off but it was definitely a scary sight! lol
    10-24-09 06:56 AM
    I suggest you return it in the store so they can swap them out right there- that way there's no wait for one in the mail. Why wait around when the trackball doesn't work? That's the quickest & easiest solution- nothing to send back and a replacement phone in minutes!

10-24-09 07:39 AM
    I would also back up your device. While a device wipe will most likely NOT fix the issue, the MFG REQUIRES VZW to perform one. Since this is impacting to the use of the device, tech will overnight ship it to you.

As for the store, if they have one in stock to accomadate a replacement, they will do it. If not, then you wasted your time in the store only to have them tell you to call the 800 number
    10-24-09 08:01 AM
    If you go to the store & they don't have it in stock, but they tell you to call the 800 number- you're dealing with the wrong people! If the store I go to doesn't have a replacement, they call the next store to see if they have one. If niether has one, the store calls and has a replacement shipped to me... Device wipes do not always have to be performed & if they do- I know they aren't. I guess that's a perk of going to the store. Its really all about which method the op prefers.

What's a waste to one person may not be a waste to others... Good luck to the op! And as stated above- definitely back your phone.. That would be necessary whether you have to wipe it or not. You'll need the info for your replacement.

10-24-09 08:12 AM
    I was just told by tech support to take my wife's tour to a VZW store and they will replace just the trackball there if they have them in stock, otherwise they will swap the device.

Has anyone else been told this? I'll report back later today after I visit the store.
    10-24-09 09:02 AM
    Did not see the original post. if it is a Tour, they will not replace the trackball. If it is pearl or curve, then yes if they are in stock they will replace it.
    10-24-09 09:37 AM
    Thanks for the info in this thread

10-24-09 10:39 AM
    If you dont mind waiting in the store then go that route otherwise you call on the phone & they will overnite the phone to you for free if you tell them you use it for business. Also lastraid i was told 2 weeks ago that they were indeed replacing trackballs on the tour in the stores.
    10-26-09 10:57 PM
    I just warrantied mine through VZ. The local store did not have one in stock. I called tech support, they fed ex'd one next day. It was at my door by 10am.
    10-26-09 11:08 PM
    If you dont mind waiting in the store then go that route otherwise you call on the phone & they will overnite the phone to you for free if you tell them you use it for business. Also lastraid i was told 2 weeks ago that they were indeed replacing trackballs on the tour in the stores.
    really? do you know of anyone who has had their trackball replaced and solved their problems? or anyone for that matter, does anyone know?
    10-27-09 12:54 AM
    I had trackball issues within 30 days and went to the VW store and it was replaced with few questions asked. The longest art was really just waiting for the wipe to run so i could be sure that all of my BES info was deleted.

Total time in store was about 30 minutes.
    10-27-09 05:12 AM
    I was just told by tech support to take my wife's tour to a VZW store and they will replace just the trackball there if they have them in stock, otherwise they will swap the device.

Has anyone else been told this? I'll report back later today after I visit the store.
    I was told this as well and then the tech at the store was like "well maybe they thought you had a curve or something". REALLY? It shows my phone RIGHT THERE. Bleh. Some people.
    I rather be told the truth than be lied to. So needless to say. New phones in the mail. Joy.

10-27-09 07:42 AM
    if I don't have to deal with the idiots at the store, I will avoid that pain at all costs. Calling vzw having them overnight a new phone is such a lesser pain in the arse if you ask me.
    10-27-09 07:52 PM
    if I don't have to deal with the idiots at the store, I will avoid that pain at all costs. Calling vzw having them overnight a new phone is such a lesser pain in the arse if you ask me.
    Agreed x10
    10-28-09 09:18 PM
    When I had the trackball issue I was told the ball could be replaced as well. However, when I took back my Tour about a month and a half after it was released and I purchased it, I was told it was too new and they did not have any balls to replace it. They had to ship me a new unit. It only took 3 business days, there was no charge, and all I had to do was ship my broken unit back within 10 days after recieving the replacement. Have not had any problems since, and by the way, I went in to the store to do this. I have had better luck personally going in the store than calling tech support.
    10-28-09 11:13 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/ve...6/#post3674472

As quoted by robbadobba you can call from a landline 866.406.5154 and just tell them you need a replacement and that you've already turned up the sensitivity up and done the trackball tests and they'll most likely ship you out a unit no questions asked. I did this and got my replacement in 2 days tops.

I hate going into stores and waiting esp in SoCal where the que is always at least an hour long to any store I go to.
    10-29-09 09:12 AM
    My trackball was replaced on my Tour. It works better, but it's still kinda sporadic. I'm gonna try to see about getting a replacement today.
    10-29-09 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD