Hi,

I desperately need help.

Background:

Two weeks ago I bought a new Verizon Blackberry Tour and got it unlocked from Verizon Global support. OS on the tour is 4.7.1.40. About a week ago I came to India and got a Vodafone India SMS to use with my Tour

Issue:

While my SMS is working, I am not able to either make or receive a call. Within seconds after I dial the number, it says calls disconnected. About 20% of the time on random I have been able to use the phone perfectly to both make and receive the calls. I have tried everything possible. Under network settings changed phone type to GSM only. Under network selection tried both automatic and manual network selection. Have no clue what to do.

Any help would be really appreciated
    11-30-09 08:54 PM
    Maybe Vodafone India needs to have your IMEI on file? I just read an article about India cracking down on phones without valid IMEIs for security reasons. In any case, I would phone them for tech support.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-09 09:14 PM
    You are right about India cracking down on invalid IMEI numbers. However that became effective only from Dec 1st. I have been having this problem for 1.5 weeks. Moreover phones that have gotten disabled today due to invalid IMEI numbers, even SMS is not working on them.
    11-30-09 09:23 PM
    I think I have a hunch on what the issue is but not sure. Blackberry tour only supports 2G on GSM 850, 900, 1800 and 1900. India is mostly GSM 900. Vodafone India network that I am trying to get onto is 2G. When I do get connected, I see edge in lowercase around the antenna symbol on screen. However when the edge symbol gets replaced by GSM, phone calls start working. When it shows edge, only SMS works. I dont know how to manually switch from edge to GSM. I have tried switchig off data services but that doesnt help
    11-30-09 10:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD