Got a BlackBerry Tour 9630 with Verizon last Thursday. It is my first ever smartphone. I upgraded from a Samsung MyShot.

It's awesome. The only downsides are as follows:

* You can't have txt conversations go into a folder for each user like some cell phones so all the conversations are bunched together. I would like to have it work as follows:

Each person I am sending and receiving SMS messages from would have their own folder under my messages sorted with the most recently active conversation on top in decending order. Inside the folders the txts would look pretty much like they do now except you can hit the trackball left/up or down/right to navigate through the conversation when viewing a single txt message.

The ability to send multiple sms messages at once and have it automatically split would be very appreciated also.

* You can only have one alarm set at a time. I use 2 alarms a week (one on weekdays, one on weekends) so I am constantly having to change it.

* It doesn't break down what exactly is using up your memory such as how much pics take up, txts, etc.

* Seems to selectively add ' to contractions and doesn't have a way to custom add ones such as whatre or howre.

* Not as much info avaliable via facebook mobile app or site vs regular facebook on the computer. The info page is virtually non-existant.

* Would like to be able to add a 7th app to the main screen however the # of apps per line is not scalable. If I could add the 7th shortcut I wouldn't need to go to my menu at all except to change settings.

* Would like to be able to change the timestamp on pictures taken. I took some pics on the phone before I activated so it recorded them as being taken in 2006 then I transferred some pics from my pc onto my phone and the older pc pics show up after the Sept 3rd 2009 pics showing up as 2006. I tried updating the timestamp by plugging the Tour into my pc but it messed up the pics so i had to copy the originals back leaving me back at square one.

* There is an occasional "lag" where the phone seems to freeze up for an instant. I think this might be when I'm doing something and receive an email or txt message in the background.

That said it is by far the most awesome and useful phone I've ever owned. I find myself not getting on the pc as much now that the Tour is at my fingertips!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve these minor issues?

Thanks!
    09-10-09 01:29 PM
    I can answer a few of your questions...

For SMS's, you are looking for "Threaded SMS". This is available in a leaked version of OS 5.0. I think some hybrid OS's also have it. I personally love it and understand why you want it.

But there are some things about OS 5.0 that you may not like. Since it's a beta version, things like BBM and Facebook don't work. Not sure, but the Hybrid may have the best of both worlds.

Also, if you would like, you can have a seperate Inbox's for your SMS and email. Go into messages, then options, general options, and then select SMS and Email Inbox as seperate. This won't give you threaded sms, but give you seperate inbox's.

For alarm, I thought I saw a post about someone that said it can be done. I'll see if I can find it.

For your question on additional apps on homescreen, you can change your themes and get a variety of options. I have seen several themes with more than 7 apps.. In my opinion, this is what makes the blackberry's so awesome, the ability to change themes and create your own Check out this page:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f148/

The occasional lag is something that is OS related. I know a lot of people that moved to os 4.7.1.42 said the lag is gone. I am using OS 5.0 and I don't have much lag either.
    09-10-09 01:45 PM
    Check this out for your alarm question.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/di...alarms-304504/
    09-10-09 01:49 PM
    Thank you! I had no idea you could do different themes and doing a new alarm via the calendar never crossed my mind.

I saw a screenshot of threaded sms in the 5.0 os beta and it seems a bit much like an msn conversation to me. Would I still be able to save individual txts in the saved folder? And does it do anything to handle auto-splitting long messages?

Also, how does this hybrid os work? I'm a bit confused on that.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by cbosdell; 09-10-09 at 02:15 PM.
    09-10-09 02:10 PM
    I don't normally save texts, so not sure all the details of doing it. I did save a text into the saved folder and when I went into the saved folder, it was there. Not sure what you mean by auto-splitting long messages, can you explain?

With themes, there are "free" and "premium" ones. Some of the more complex themes, do cause more lag. I noticed a lot less lag with OS 5.0. There are hundreds of free ones to play with.

I have never loaded a Hybrid, so I am not completely sure how to answer your question. I usually play with the leaked blackberry versions I find.

If you go to the forum for OS Beta/Hybrid discussion, you can find more on hybrids.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/
    09-10-09 02:52 PM
    What I mean by split messages is you can only type 160 characters per sms txt message and I would like to be able to type more than that and have the phone automatically split it into multiple messages for me instead of having to save drafts and send the long message parts all manually at the end.
    09-10-09 02:54 PM
    From what I can tell, the Tour stops you at 160 characters. You can send as a MMS and do more than 160.
    09-10-09 03:02 PM
    What I mean by split messages is you can only type 160 characters per sms txt message and I would like to be able to type more than that and have the phone automatically split it into multiple messages for me instead of having to save drafts and send the long message parts all manually at the end.
    Google Blackberry app world, download to your BB and then you'll be able to browse available apps.

For your above question, theres a very popular app called "beyond 160" but It is a paid app. With many rumors surrounding the 5.0 leak and a possible OS update coming very soon you may want to just hold tight on most items.

Installing a hybrid OS can be very tricky and in depth, additionally many hybrid OS sacrifice one factor strength for another, for instance you may have longer battery life but poorer signal reception.

Other questions:

Memory breakdown: "theres an app for that" I know there are some, I think Meterberry does it, not sure but its a paid app - not free. I recommend storing all your mail attachments, photos, music, voicenotes, video etc. etc. on your sd card, then basically the memory used under OPTIONS is under use by RAM utility and for storage of 3rd party apps. So long as you stay above 10mb you should have no issues.

LAG: Lag is a basic characteristic of a computing device, if it bothers you then delete all your apps, restore OS theme and close apps when finished, otherwise you'll need to deal with a little patience now and then. FYI when looking for new themes look for "Lite" "clean" or "simple" this means the coding is done in an efficient way and these themes are more likely to run smoothly.

Timestamp: Only idea is to link to computer (not with Desktop Manager), open BB location under MY COMPUTER, locate and open properties of individual photos and see if it can be changed that way.

GOOD LUCK!!
    09-10-09 03:09 PM
    i believe there is an app for this..check the crackberry store..it may be called "beyond 160" or something like that

Beyond160 - Communication & Internet BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store here is the link
    Last edited by otkeeper; 09-10-09 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added link
    09-10-09 03:09 PM
    Autotext under OPTIONS allows you to:

"* Seems to selectively add ' to contractions and doesn't have a way to custom add ones such as whatre or howre."

Add those and more. Actually, check the list, it can add your PIN, date, time, etc.
    09-10-09 08:02 PM
    Autotext under OPTIONS allows you to:

"* Seems to selectively add ' to contractions and doesn't have a way to custom add ones such as whatre or howre."

Add those and more. Actually, check the list, it can add your PIN, date, time, etc.
    Thanks! Thats three of my issues resolved guys. Really appreciating the help. I've got the multi-alarm, icon shortcuts on main screen (new theme - SenselessWNT, and the autotext ones resolved.

I tried changing the timestamps from my computer on the pics but it messes up the pictures where they won't read at all on the Tour so I had to change it back.

The following issues remain:

* You can't have txt conversations go into a folder for each user like some cell phones so all the conversations are bunched together. I would like to have it work as follows:

Each person I am sending and receiving SMS messages from would have their own folder under my messages sorted with the most recently active conversation on top in decending order. Inside the folders the txts would look pretty much like they do now except you can hit the trackball left/up or down/right to navigate through the conversation when viewing a single txt message.

The ability to send multiple sms messages at once and have it automatically split would be very appreciated also.

* It doesn't break down what exactly is using up your memory such as how much pics take up, txts, etc.

* Not as much info avaliable via facebook mobile app or site vs regular facebook on the computer. The info page is virtually non-existant.

* Would like to be able to change the timestamp on pictures taken. I took some pics on the phone before I activated so it recorded them as being taken in 2006 then I transferred some pics from my pc onto my phone and the older pc pics show up after the Sept 3rd 2009 pics showing up as 2006. I tried updating the timestamp by plugging the Tour into my pc but it messed up the pics so i had to copy the originals back leaving me back at square one.
    09-10-09 08:11 PM
    Sorry to thread jack, I actually have a n00b question.

How do I enable the speakerphone? lol
    09-10-09 10:25 PM
    Sorry to thread jack, I actually have a n00b question.

How do I enable the speakerphone? lol
    hit the $ key with the red speaker-phone on top of it while on a phone-call.
    09-10-09 10:30 PM
    wow...I really had no idea about that. Thanks!
    09-10-09 10:35 PM
    There is software to edit the INTERNAL info in jpg images. You might have to perform this on images first moved to your computer. There are also tools to change file creation dates. I had a good one on my older computer but don't recall what they were.
    09-10-09 11:10 PM
    There is software to edit the INTERNAL info in jpg images. You might have to perform this on images first moved to your computer. There are also tools to change file creation dates. I had a good one on my older computer but don't recall what they were.
    Does anyone know what software I'd need to do this. I've already tried hooking the bb up to my desktop, copying the pics over and editing the properties date creation fieldon it then copying back but then the tour won't read them. it's really annoying me having my newer pictures showing up as older.

Also for some reason if i take pics, delete them and then plug the tour up to my pc to charge or copy pics over when i unplug and look at my pics on the tour it'll show thumbnails for the gross deleted ones causing me to pull out the battery to hard reset it which is the only fix i know of. any ideas on these two plus the other issues from the first post?

thanks!
    09-12-09 07:05 PM
    Beyond 160 is an app that does this for you (but you have to hit the menu key and select it every time you hit the cap). Personally I hate long messages. The iphone always sends long messages in this order: middle, beginning, end. I sometimes ignore the texts for a while so that all of the segments I need to piece together arrive. If you really have something long to text, you might as well send an e-mail.

Facebook mobile app is only intended to provide a limited set of functions while you're away from your computer (notifications, status updates, etc). If you want more info, you'll have to use your browser and surf to the site that way.
    09-12-09 08:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD