I'm in the military and I'm wondering if ill be able to use my tour in Iraq since it is a third world country
    07-12-09 11:25 AM
    I'm in the military and I'm wondering if ill be able to use my tour in Iraq since it is a third world country
    As long as there is either CDMA or GSM service in the area where you will be, it should work just fine. I would talk to colleagues and find out which service they are running on, which should give you an idea of whether or not you will get service. Also, 'third world country' is really no longer a fitting term. I believe the PC friendly version these days is 'developing nation.'
    07-12-09 11:36 AM
    I am curious on this subject, as I am also military. I was told i would need to get a sim card from the country I was in. Any one have any for sure info on this? I leave for Afghanistan in a few months
    07-13-09 02:27 PM
    I am prior military, and spent time in Qatar, and Iraq. When I was there you did need to get a sim card for over there. However they sold them right on base for fairly cheap. In Qatar people were allowed to use your cell phones, but in Iraq they didnt allow us to, for obvious security reasons. I dont know how it is know though I was over there in 2005.
    07-13-09 02:30 PM
    Also before you leave from what I understand you would need to contact Verizon and have them unlock the phone. I am not an expert here but I have seen plenty of postings on this on other threads. I am sure if you hunt around a little you will find the answer that you are looking for.

When I was in the Army and stationed in Italy is was nothing if you got fed up the the service provider to pop the SIM and buy a different carriers card. Of course these phones were not sold directly by the Carriers. Because of this I think that you might really want to contact Verizon before you leave to unlock it work on another network.
    07-13-09 02:39 PM
    BBM works just fine in Iraq and Afghanistan, at least on/near the Embassies. I've communicated with people at both places. These were to people with AT&T Curves using AT&T SIM. Tour should work since it uses same frequencies.
    07-13-09 02:56 PM
    BBM works just fine in Iraq and Afghanistan, at least on/near the Embassies. I've communicated with people at both places. These were to people with AT&T Curves using AT&T SIM. Tour should work since it uses same frequencies.
    did the people you talk to have a sim card and an unlocked phone?
    07-13-09 04:53 PM
    Well, isn't the Tour a "world" phone like the 8800? Which means the answer would be yes.
    07-13-09 04:55 PM
    Well, isn't the Tour a "world" phone like the 8800? Which means the answer would be yes.
    Well put Sultan...
    07-13-09 04:56 PM
    Thanks dude, see you on facebook later on
    07-13-09 05:03 PM
    I guess i kind of resent this comment...

As far as cell phone technology goes, it is the USA that is a "third world country".....

That is why you need a GSM phone such as the Tour in Iraq, which at least has the wisdom and common sense to adopt a world standard..

07-13-09 05:15 PM
    try International Cell Phones, World Phones, SIM Cards, Satellite Phones I have used them several times.

they have everything you need... although *usually* the sim cards are cheaper in the host country, at least taking them (SIMs) with you mean you dont have to find a store and you also have your number in advance...
    Dont expect data services tho.. txt and voice only...

p.s. good luck!..be SAFE, courteous and professional... and in that order!..

I am curious on this subject, as I am also military. I was told i would need to get a sim card from the country I was in. Any one have any for sure info on this? I leave for Afghanistan in a few months
    Last edited by mystic205; 07-13-09 at 05:21 PM. Reason: adding wishes
    07-13-09 05:18 PM
    Thanks mystic i found the sim card i needed from your link, they were out of stock but i will get one as soon as they have some.
    07-13-09 08:57 PM
    You're going to want to call VZW's global department and have them unlock your phone (they should be more than willing to help since you're military) so you can use third-party SIM cards.

Otherwise you will HAVE to use the SIM card that came with your phone and pay $0.69 a minute.
    07-13-09 09:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD