Admins... This thread maybe in the wrong place, please feel free to move as needed.

I'm getting ready to sell my (Verizon) Blackberry Tour 9630 and I was surprise to see that no one wrote up a forsale checklist or best practice list. I did see several How To's to wipe the phone, but that was about it.

That being said, I wanted to write down a few basic procedures and ask a few basic quesitons that I'm sure other people have questions on with regards to prepare a Blackberry phone for resale.

Before selling the phone: (using Desktop Manager or 3rd Party Application)
    1. Remove all Passwords
    2. Backup the Operating System
    3. Backup any 3rd Party Applications
    4. Backup the Media/Memory Card (if applicable)
    5. Is there anything else that should be added in this section...??

Preparing the phone for resale: (using the phone itself, or 3rd Party Application)
    1. Perform "wipe" procedure (KB02318).
    2. Is there anything else that should be added in this section..??

Commonly ask Questions:
    1. After the Wipe procedure is performed, is there any personal or private data still on the phone or media card that can be retrieved...?

2. Should I sell the phone with the SIM and/or Media card or not...?

3. I purchased several 3rd Party applications for my blackberry. Can I reinstall them after I wiped the phone and sell them with the phone or do I lose out on the money that I spent..??

4. Do I need to contact my service provider and let them know that I'm selling my phone and to release the ESN Number or MEID number...??

5. Is it safe to sell phone at this time or is there anything else that needs to be completed...??

Thank you for any help you can provide....

Rick
    08-05-10 01:36 PM
    2. BlackBerry Desktop Manager does not backup the Operating System. Not sure why you would do that anyway.
    4. Remove the Media Card and put it in the new device.
    5. Remove the device from the BIS.

2. If you never activated the SIM card, then just leave it in the device. If you activated it, then keep it. As noted above, keep your Media Card.

3. Check with the vendor from whom you purchased the apps. Most paid apps are PIN specific. Some app vendors will allow you to switch the apps to a new PIN. If you switch them to a new PIN, then they will have be deleted from the old device.

4. If you remove the device from the BIS, then the PIN will be released. If you remove the device from your account, then the ESN will be released at the END OF YOUR BILLING CYCLE.
    08-05-10 05:33 PM

4. If you remove the device from the BIS, then the PIN will be released. If you remove the device from your account, then the ESN will be released at the END OF YOUR BILLING CYCLE.
    Actually, that's not always the case.

It is if you have ported your number to another provider, which is the only case that I know of that it would be released at the end of a billing cycle. However, if someone switches to another phone but keeps the same provider, as long as their bill is caught up and the device is not on a lost/stolen list then the ESN is clear as soon as the number is transferred to another phone.
    08-05-10 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD