I convinced my girlfriend to leave AT&T and join Verizon. When she asked what phone she should get, I recommended the Tour 9630. I based my recommendation on the reviews and feedback I've read online. Plus, she was able to get one at Best Buy for $99 (with a 2-year contract). To date, she hasn't had any issues with it (aside from the loose batter cover). I always thought her voice sounded somewhat muffled when she would call me. I figured maybe she was accidentally covering up the microphone, so I didn't say anything about. Well it seems that now it's gotten worse. Other people have started complaining and I'm starting to notice it more. She is definitely not covering up the mic. When on AT&T, she was using a Palm Centro and the call quality was fantastic. I could always understand her clearly. It doesn't seem to be the case with the BB Tour. I'm just wondering if there's a possibility that she received a defective unit or is this common with Tour? Has anyone else had this issue? Should we exchange it for a new one?
    08-20-09 10:06 AM
    Yeah she probably got a crappy one.. I haven't heard any complaints about my call quality..
    08-20-09 10:09 AM
    I've had mine for awhile and just recently more and more people are saying they can't hear me because I sound muffled. Only way some people can understand me is if I speak directly into the microphone hole.
    08-20-09 10:10 AM
    I've had mine for awhile and just recently more and more people are saying they can't hear me because I sound muffled. Only way some people can understand me is if I speak directly into the microphone hole.
    It just amazes me that so many Tour users just flat out ignore this problem. There are so many threads on this issue but the Tour fanboys quickly shut them down by pasting anyone talks negative about the Tour. The Tour is a phone first and if the call quality isn't there, it's failing right off the bat on it's most important feature.
    08-20-09 10:23 AM
    It just amazes me that so many Tour users just flat out ignore this problem. There are so many threads on this issue but the Tour fanboys quickly shut them down by pasting anyone talks negative about the Tour. The Tour is a phone first and if the call quality isn't there, it's failing right off the bat on it's most important feature.
    I am not a Tour fanboy at all so please don't mistake that assumption...
    My call quality seemed fine at first, I saw the threads pop up and with most of my social calls I asked how my quality was, most everyone said it was perfect. But the problem just started to develop recently for some reason. If it continues then I will definitely call/make a visit to Verizon.
    08-20-09 10:29 AM
    Do you guys have automatic voice control turned on? It seems to help a lot of people.

Under the phone app, options, enhanced voice, enable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 10:55 AM

If it would make you happy I could lie and tell you that people have trouble hearing me when I talk on my phone, but despite specifically asking people if they can hear me okay, in 3 weeks, I've had no complaints. If that makes me a "fanboy" in your world then that says more about you than anything else.
    08-20-09 10:59 AM
    Many are experiencing the same problem. Here's the main thread about sounding muffled.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/yo...uffled-271150/
    08-20-09 11:06 AM
    I've had no issues with mine. My wifes tour sounded muffled at first but after a couple of days cleared up and no problems since. I dunno lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 11:31 AM
    Why Tour owners ask recipients of calls how they sound to rule out muffle is hmm pretty dumb.
    If you really want to know if muffles present record new voicemail greeting from your Tour ,Give it a listen and you be the
    judge.

Those on Sprint that want to test for muffle go into voicemail and record new voicemail greeting.

How to directions.
    Enter voicemail by holding number 1 then follow prompts entering numbers below,
    Record your new voice mail greeting ,press * then listen to it by pressing #2
    Rerecord greeting a couple times by pressing #3 moving position of phone-mic......
    If greetings keep sounding like crap take it back.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 08-20-09 at 12:25 PM.
    08-20-09 11:39 AM
    Why Tour owners ask recipients of calls how they sound to rule out muffle is hmm pretty dumb.
    If you really want to know if muffles present record new voicemail greeting from your Tour ,Give it a listen and you be the
    judge.

Those on Sprint that want to test for muffle go into voicemail and record new voicemail greeting.

Enter voicemail by holding number 1 then follow prompts entering numbers below,
    Record your new voice mail greeting ,press * then listen to it by pressing #2
    Rerecord greeting a couple times moving position of phone-mic and give it a listen.
    If greetings keep sounding like crap take it back.
    I still think it's better to ask call recipients how you sound to THEM. You can record your own voicemails as much as you want, but in the end you aren't going to call yourself, you are going to call others, and you want what they think of it. Also, I think it's implied that people do not know what the problem is, it could be the phone, it could be the network, it could be the combo of the two. When you call your voicemail it's the carrier's network server basically taking your call (or something like that), which is not the same as another person with another (most likely different) phone with (possibly) a different carrier.

Also, I think consciously we talk differently when we are just freely chatting with a friend, compared to recording a voicemail to listen to yourself. In the end it's better to cover a broader range of possibilities.
    08-20-09 12:23 PM
    I still think it's better to ask call recipients how you sound to THEM. You can record your own voicemails as much as you want, but in the end you aren't going to call yourself, you are going to call others, and you want what they think of it. Also, I think it's implied that people do not know what the problem is, it could be the phone, it could be the network, it could be the combo of the two. When you call your voicemail it's the carrier's network server basically taking your call (or something like that), which is not the same as another person with another (most likely different) phone with (possibly) a different carrier.

Also, I think consciously we talk differently when we are just freely chatting with a friend, compared to recording a voicemail to listen to yourself. In the end it's better to cover a broader range of possibilities.
    So your letting call recipients be the decider on muffle..I guess their all using the same phone-samsungs which means you always sound the same..or maybe not lol
    So many members have thought they sounded great to find out a few days later that wasn't the case.

Using voicemail greeting you hear your voice..if it sounds like pillow over face you know for sure if device is defective-Voice muffle.
    Me for example,
    I spoke to a few friends that said #1 & #2 sound was ok while ether's said sound was sub par hard to hear you sometimes.

I then went into Voicemail greeting testing each Tour for 5 days,
    Tour # 1 - muffle sound.
    Tour # 2 - muffle sound.
    Tour # 3 - No muffle sound but took back due to trackball issue.
    Tour # 4- Crisp sound highs and lows..it even has background noise.

PS
    To bad I didn't let call recipients be the judge
    Last edited by Slingbox; 08-20-09 at 01:49 PM.
    08-20-09 12:33 PM
    So we've all heard the party line from the carrier's: "Sounds great here", etc. The fact that a simple call into a voicemail box will provide evidence that the audio quality is muffled. This isn't a radio problem, it is microphone audio issue. I tried the same test with a cupping hold technique, I attempted to use a hard surface to bounce the sound of my voice into the microphone hole better, etc. No improvement.

Finally, I found a way to fix the real issue. The real issue is the physical size of the hole by which sound reaches the microphone. It is too small. Compare other phones and you'll see.

Simply purchase a T6 driver and a #55 drill bite. Next, familiarize yourself with disassembling your phone by watching any number of videos posted on the web.

Be careful when removing the front cover over the handset speaker, the tabs are fragile. Once the back chassis half is free, gently use the #55 drill with your fingers to enlarge the diameter of the microphone hole in the back chassis half. Do this from the outside of the phone. BE CAREFUL: There is a small piece of windscreen cloth inside the hole. Try not to drill right through it.

In all, it is a 10 minute job.

Do the voicemail test before and after and you will appreciate the difference. I heard immediate improvement is the calls I made. I noticed that it was much easier to communicate when the person on the other end of the call could hear me clearly.

Enjoy!
    10-21-09 12:28 PM
    Very interesting nicadrick, it would be great to have a few pics.
    10-21-09 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD