this morning I could not find my phone anywhere. Realized it was missing at the restaurant. I obviously set it on the table and someone grabbed it. Didn't really put 2 and 2 together til this morning. Checked my usage and the guy placed around 30 calls. Calls to his bank, random numbers, and to the Ohio food stamp department (serious). I called a couple of the people trying to have them give me a name. I had the one lady super flustered but she kept trying to lie her way out of it. Obviously I'm going to have to go over there and start pulling off finger nails.

Either way I'm in OH. ALready did my insurance claim ($100) but my old Palm Pre had a "remote" wipe feature. This phone doesn't have that does it?

Also what do you guys think the chances of the police searching for this guy?
    02-15-10 04:01 PM
    Unless you had a password on the device (which it sounds like you didn't if they guy was using it) or unless you installed an application like Smrtguard, then there's no "remote wipe" feature.

You should call your carrier and have them turn the device off and block it.

The police won't care.
    02-15-10 05:02 PM
    Unfortunately, for BIS users, there is no remote wipe feature, unless you installed an application on the phone before it went AWOL (I believe Smartguard has just such a feature). Unfortunately, by law, these establishments that were called using the phone are not obligated to provide you with the name of the perpetrator, even if they knew it. The rationale, of course, is that they have no idea between the two of you, who the actual owner is, and in any case, having you go after the person could result in a breach of the peace.

There are, of course, things you should do, immediately. Call Sprint, and alert them to the fact that the phone has been stolen. One of the advantages of CDMA service carriers such as Sprint and Verizon is that once a phone has been reported lost or stolen, these networks have the ability to prevent any subsequent use of the phone. The slight wrinkle there is that the same does not necessarily hold true for GSM service carriers like T-Mobile and At&t. The perpetrator could theoretically activate the phone on those networks, and though it wouldn't work on 3G, it could work on Edge networks. You should also file a police report not only because your insurance will probably require it, but also because it documents the phone as having been stolen, for any future reference.

Unfortunately, the likelihood of the police going after the perpetrator is unlikely, because while this, of course, is a tragedy for any Blackberry owner, it is not an especially egregious crime. It wasn't a burglary or even a robbery. Rather it was a larceny of an item under $500. Nor are there any readily available clues as to the thief. Of course, you would think that they could look into all those places he called. But bitter experience would seem to indicate that the police would not consider this a worthwhile pursuit. At least, you have insurance. This is probably a $100 loss. But better that, than a $500 loss, or whatever the Tour goes for these days.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 02-15-10 at 05:23 PM.
    02-15-10 05:10 PM
    Nothing to add. Sorry you lost your bb. That does stink.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 06:13 PM
    Did you go to the police with the list of numbers? If he called a bank they most likely logged the call. But cant the police go to the people he called and demand answers?
    02-15-10 07:48 PM
    Did you go to the police with the list of numbers? If he called a bank they most likely logged the call. But cant the police go to the people he called and demand answers?
    It is extremely doubtful the police are going to waste their time on a phone.

Report it stolen to your carrier, consider SmrtGuard as MotoMama mentioned
    for your next phone.
    02-15-10 08:08 PM
    Here's my new thread about this.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f70/spr...-issue-423460/

I basically reported it stolen and started calling the numbers on the log demanding answers. After this my phone "mysteriously" shows up. Sprint reactivates it for me but I already got my new one in by Fedex. Not sure what to do.
    02-16-10 02:46 PM
    Hello Everyone,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Unfortunately, I have a similar situation :-(. I also had my phone stolen from one of my students. I'm pretty pissed because it had a lot of personal information in it. The last thing I would want is a student of mine gaining access to it. Thankfully I have a required passcode to enter whenever using the phone. I also called my carrier, Sprint, and informed them that my phone was stolen and is now tagged as stolen. In addition, I made a police report with the school. Yes, we have a Chicago PD in the office. How convenient? You would think that, but like aforementioned, they really don't give a crap.

So the dire question(s)... Is my phone still accessible, even with a passcode on there? Can that in anyway be reset and then accessed? Can my phone, BB Tour, which is a CDMA phone (Sprint) and is also GSM capable, be "unlocked" and usable with another or the same carrier?

Thank for all your help in advance.
    03-01-11 10:40 PM
    IF you had a password on it, if the individual doesn't know your password and guesses it wrong 10 times it will automatically wipe itself back to factory settings but, since you also reported it as stolen it won't be usable anyways
    03-01-11 10:44 PM
    I have ur phone professor!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-11 12:24 AM
    It is extremely doubtful the police are going to waste their time on a phone.

Report it stolen to your carrier, consider SmrtGuard as MotoMama mentioned
    for your next phone.
    I also recommend using a password on your next device.
    03-02-11 01:14 AM
    Aye one perfect example of why its a good to use a password
    03-04-11 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD