Read this article awile back on reuters, oddly enough mentioning pda's smartphones (blackberry) linked to 3-4 office suicides how do u feel? Have you been more stress out since you let a blackberry in your life? do you feel the same? or does it make it easier?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-09 07:28 PM
    Read this article awile back on reuters, oddly enough mentioning pda's smartphones (blackberry) linked to 3-4 office suicides how do u feel? Have you been more stress out since you let a blackberry in your life? do you feel the same? or does it make it easier?

Probably Storm owners!
    10-26-09 07:30 PM
    I feel a little bit of everything makes my life easier but when it doesn't work I want to pull my hair out also being to well connected makes it difficult to get around work sometimes need time to unwind and relax

10-26-09 07:34 PM
    Are we really blaming a BlackBerry for suicides? People need to have some self-control.
    10-26-09 07:40 PM
    The article mention stress related work as the cuase but blamed PDA blackberry in particular to be the cuase of stress

10-26-09 07:57 PM
    Man this is stupid... Why the crap would a life/data/social organizer cause you stress...
    10-26-09 08:23 PM
    Maybe some people brains can't go past phone and text

10-26-09 08:33 PM
    i remember reading somewhere that in canada they are trying to pass a law that would have mandatory business blackberry smartphone blackouts on weekends and on holidays. they were going to start by trying it on goverment employees.

they did a study that people with smartphones do on average 15 hours extra work a week in which they're not paid for. (using it home after work, days off etc.)

personaly, if you're driven to kill yourself because of work related stress then i think there is more going on with that person and it shouldn't be directly related to work.

i do agree that the company you work for shouldn't force you to keep your work phone on you at all times. i know there will be exceptions, if you need to get a hold of someone for an emergency but having ot send/recieve work related emails on your time off? thats pushing it.
    10-26-09 08:45 PM
    current modern social devices pda/smart phones have become an extent of many peoples life to the point that some can not function normally unless there device is working. its as if a microchip has already been attached to the brain except you carry it in your hand.
    10-26-09 08:48 PM
    they did a study that people with smartphones do on average 15 hours extra work a week in which they're not paid for. (using it home after work, days off etc.)
    1) You (I don't mean literally *you*) have to prove the validity of the study, which, knowing studies, good luck... I'm sure you can conduct another study showing the opposite easily.
    2) Could be the sample size, could be the region, culture, etc.
    3) You have to show that the 15% "work" done that was caused by the smartphone has the same stress level attached to it as regular "non-smartphone" work.
    4) Even if you do all of the above, you are generally referring to already sick people and handing them a trigger (like giving an alcoholic a bottle of vodka). Vodka ain't the problem...
    10-26-09 08:54 PM
    Intesting points but my curiosity was how has affected you personally do u feel more stress owning a blackberry or imagine not having one at all would it affect your life

10-26-09 09:13 PM
    my curve is the coolest $75 toy i ever bought.
    to be near a pc and get e-mails on my curve a the same time is fantastic
    10-26-09 09:16 PM
    Probably Storm owners!
    LOL - that was funny!

Seriously though, I love my Tour and it makes my life LESS stressful. I was always stressed when away from a computer and email, but the BB allows me to monitor emails now away from the computer which is awesome. And it was a drag if I would get stuck somewhere waiting without a book or newspaper to read, so the BB takes care of that as well. And the calendar means that I am now not missing important dates etc etc.

The only area where it is more stressful is when my girlfriend wants to kill me for paying too much attention to my BB.

Ok, so it's a draw LOL!
    10-26-09 11:42 PM
    The only area where it is more stressful is when my girlfriend wants to kill me for paying too much attention to my BB.
    Me too.. maybe BB ownership causes a spike in -spouse- suicides..
    10-27-09 01:51 AM
    To actually answer the question, sometimes I want to throw it out the window to get some peace.

10-27-09 06:12 AM
    I think if I ever get to the point where this Blackberry can control my emotion (aside from hardware/software hiccups), I will gladly return to a dumbphone.
    10-27-09 06:33 AM
    If you let the machine rule you...that can happen.

Gotta know when to unplug...

Dm
    10-27-09 08:07 AM

I have seen friends get really stressed because their work expects them to work 24/7 because they issued them a Blackberry, but still... not THAt stressed!

Luckily for me, mine is my personal phone and I'm not expected to use it for my work e-mail, but I do. It really helps me stay organized. At night while I'm reading or watching TV or whatever I can skim my e-mails and I leave the important ones marked as unread so I know what I need to deal with first thing and delete the not important ones. I took this past Friday off, and I was able to be 100% caught up when I came back Monday because I was able to reply to maybe 3 e-mails that were emergencies and the rest could wait. I actually think it makes my job easier!
    10-27-09 08:36 AM
    Are we really blaming a BlackBerry for suicides? People need to have some self-control.
    I heard that. Blaming a phone?

10-27-09 09:50 AM
    hahahahahhahahaha love that.....
    Probably Storm owners!
    10-27-09 10:13 AM
    That should make up for the time people spend on facebook, crackberry.com and just general BSing.
    10-27-09 11:52 AM
    this is BS

10-27-09 01:05 PM
    Your title says "cause of death". That would imply that the phone in question was used in the act of the suicide. I can't think of any plausible way to make this happen short of breaking the phone and using the shards.

10-27-09 01:35 PM
    I don't think it's the BB.
    IT'S TIES, THOSE CURSED TIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    10-28-09 01:22 PM
    Man, what must these people be going throw that they would take away their own live over a PDA?

I guess they could not take the news on how BB was ditching the trackball, and replacing it with the trackpad...
    10-28-09 01:25 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD