Why come every other wireless provider (other than Verizon) and every other Blackberry model (other than the Tour 9630) have released their 'official' OS 5.0 version? What is the holdup that is causing Verizon and its Tour1 from getting the official 5.0 update??? Are there that many bugs or is it being delayed on purpose for any justifiable reason?
    02-06-10 01:25 PM
    They may feel there are bugs but they may be waiting to release the Tour 2 first. Many carriers will not release a new OS when there is a new device coming. They wait until after
    02-06-10 01:29 PM
    If that's the only reason (due to the Tour2 releasing soon)… That's really **** poor on VZW's part! I can understand if there's still bugs but if its stable and they're only holding off on the release of a newer model (which, by the way previous Tour 9630 users may not be given an incentive to upgrade to), then that really ticks me off! Its like once they have your money and you're locked into a 1 or 2 year contract, they don't care anymore as they focus on future customers for the latest & greatest model to be released.
    02-06-10 01:36 PM
    It's exactly what they did with the Storm 9530. As soon as the Storm 2 was about to be released they rushed out OS 5.0 on the Storm 1. I wont be surprised if we get our official Tour update a few days before or after the Tour 2 is released.
    02-06-10 02:07 PM
    i wouldn't doubt it sucks donkey balls lol
    02-06-10 09:06 PM
    If that's the only reason (due to the Tour2 releasing soon)… That's really **** poor on VZW's part! I can understand if there's still bugs but if its stable and they're only holding off on the release of a newer model (which, by the way previous Tour 9630 users may not be given an incentive to upgrade to), then that really ticks me off! Its like once they have your money and you're locked into a 1 or 2 year contract, they don't care anymore as they focus on future customers for the latest & greatest model to be released.
    You don't make any sense.... an OS upgrade has nothing to do with 'latest greatest' phone models because the newer OS does not substantially make the phone any better over the older OS version. Before you say "YES IT DOES," it doesn't... because the Tour with any pre-5.0 OS is fully functional with respect to what it was advertised to offer, before and after OS 5.0 would ever be released.

What I mean is that a customer would be highly unlikely to have a deal breaker if Verizon didn't offer OS 5.0 for the Tour and Sprint did. Would you go to Sprint just for that, even if you knew you wanted Verizon's superior coverage and voice call quality? What would be more important in deciding? I would say it would be the rate plan cost of course, different bundled carrier Apps, and of course any coverage issues.

Honestly, just try out the leaked 5.0 OS, and be happy with that. If you were to be worried about a leaked OS voiding your warranty with Verizon or any carrier for that matter, then you would just re-install the official OS version accordingly.
    Last edited by pblakk; 02-06-10 at 09:29 PM.
    02-06-10 09:25 PM
    im not one that likes to run a leak os on my phone. The leak could cause more trouble than good and has a lot of bugs that's why its not official so ill hold off till the official version. I hope that if they are going to take the longest to send out the 5.0 it better be better than good. I am going to wait for the official but i can still be inpatient.
    02-06-10 09:52 PM
    im not one that likes to run a leak os on my phone. The leak could cause more trouble than good and has a lot of bugs that's why its not official so ill hold off till the official version. I hope that if they are going to take the longest to send out the 5.0 it better be better than good. I am going to wait for the official but i can still be inpatient.
    What's the difference between Alltel approving .419 as official and Verizon approving .419 as official? Alltel is owned by Verizon for pete's sake. When Verizon does finally get around to putting their "stamp of approval" on it, it's going to be the exact same os as Alltel's, MTS's, Telus's, etc. Why not stop the wait and just install it now?
    02-06-10 10:03 PM
    I'd be willing to bet the Official VZW OS 5 will be the same .419 everyone else is releasing. It'll just take them a bit longer to do it. Alltel came out with .419 as their official, and VZW owns them. I could be wrong but find it hard to believe they'd withhold a new OS from the company they own.

By the way this wouldn't be anywhere near the first time for VZW to sit on an official OS release much longer than the others and still release the exact same thing everybody else has much earlier. Most people who have been around VZW and BB will be well aware of this and become early adopters

I'm running .419 (official from MTS) on VZW and having no real issues at all. Read about the issues some are having and make your choice. Just remember, 419 is prime time official now, not "just a leak", providers have picked it up.

It takes under an hour to wipe, reinstall and reload your backed up information on a new OS. Easier than falling off a bike. I plan to do this is the VZW release turns out to be other than 419. You really can't break it and there are some excellent tutorials on this site as to how to do it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 02-06-10 at 10:31 PM.
    02-06-10 10:22 PM
    I'd be willing to bet the Official VZW OS 5 will be the same .419 everyone else is releasing. It'll just take them a bit longer to do it. Alltel came out with .419 as their official, and VZW owns them. I could be wrong but find it hard to believe they'd withhold a new OS from the company they own.

I'm running .419 (official from MTS) on VZW and having no real issues at all. Read about the issues some are having and make your choice. Just remember, 419 is prime time official now, not "just a leak", providers have picked it up.

It takes under an hour to wipe, reinstall and reload your backed up information on a new OS. Easier than falling off a bike. I plan to do this is the VZW release turns out to be other than 419.

I agree with your entire post 100%. Download another carrier's official release. Delete vendor, and install the new OS. When Verizon releases their official release of 5.0, go for it.
    02-06-10 10:25 PM
    well ill just wait for vzw puts it out no biggie 4.7.1.61 works for me not problems
    02-06-10 11:36 PM
    Well, keeping with topic,, my feelings are like stated already... they won't release a new OS for us (Tour1 owners) to upgrade to when they have a new model ready to drop out of the sky with the same new OS. My theory is all the 'big' carriers are hoping people are fed up with their old Tours already and want the shiny new Tour2 with the (?) more reliable trackpad and faster OS. Now a month ago, I was the shy one not wanting to wreck up my nice Tour with a leaked OS. Finally I said what the hey, installed .419, played with it a few days and was slightly impressed. So now I am reading up on all these hybrids floating around, I once again figure what the hey, starting trying them and I am totally impressed with .419 now!! The one I am running now is so fast and smooth not to mention the lightning fast browser,, Sprint will have to drop one big tweaked OS before I even think of installing it. Sorry I'm not a big red user, just wanted to let you know my thoughts on this... if you are on the fence about trying .419 and a hybrid.. DO IT, you won't look back.
    02-06-10 11:52 PM
    I really hope Verizon releases something higher than .419. I still get a lot of bugs including horrible battery life and a weird SMS glitch that shoes unread messages every time I reboot even though it is an old message. Other than that, no real complaints. But the battery life is huge for me, and I'm not the only one whose experienced it.
    02-06-10 11:55 PM
    I really hope Verizon releases something higher than .419. I still get a lot of bugs including horrible battery life and a weird SMS glitch that shoes unread messages every time I reboot even though it is an old message. Other than that, no real complaints. But the battery life is huge for me, and I'm not the only one whose experienced it.
    That's a bummer,,, just curious which hybrid you are running. I have only found a few minor flaws in the one I am using and I can live with them. Here is my usage today with Berryweather running the whole time updating every 30 minutes. I just re-booted the phone a little while ago,, before that it was solid at .6%/hr.
    02-07-10 12:06 AM
    Nice Olemill.

Here is a screenshot of my meterberry stats. My last reboot was about 14 hours ago with Gmail and Simpleweather (30 min updating) running in the background. Also some casual facebook browsing, picture taking, and pandora session throughout the day.

I am also running Dv6 hybrid... let's just say I haven't run into any issues with it yet
    02-07-10 12:55 AM
    Yea I feel bad for the verizon customer service rep that gets me on the phone when the tour 2 comes out. Because I am going to make them give a me a tour 2. I will make the rep cry probably anf then he will have to just give the tour 2 just to get rif of me

02-07-10 01:30 AM
    I'm amazed at how considering the number bug threads there are with 5.0 people are so beside themselves because they don't have it.

Is your current version broken?

02-07-10 05:11 AM
    Yea I feel bad for the verizon customer service rep that gets me on the phone when the tour 2 comes out. Because I am going to make them give a me a tour 2. I will make the rep cry probably anf then he will have to just give the tour 2 just to get rif of me

here's a newsflash for ya. Companies don't give a **** bout you or I or anyone else for that matter. They care bout making money. He might laugh at you cause of how pathetic you sound. Which is what I'm doing right now LOL. The phone industry is like the car industry. Would you be a crybaby if you bought a new ford focus and then 6 months later ford came out with a better focus. Grow up and deal with the phone you have. I'm sure verzion is already working on a tour 3.

02-07-10 08:32 AM
    That's a bummer,,, just curious which hybrid you are running. I have only found a few minor flaws in the one I am using and I can live with them. Here is my usage today with Berryweather running the whole time updating every 30 minutes. I just re-booted the phone a little while ago,, before that it was solid at .6%/hr.
    I'm not using a hybrid and probably won't in the future. My battery life goes down the drain only after I take it off the charger. It goes form 100% to 90% in absolutely no time. I've gotten MeterBerry readings of 25% discharge rate per hour.
    02-07-10 11:56 AM
    So you would rather experience horrible battery life then try to run a hybrid which would in turn optimize your 5.0 experience?

smh
    02-07-10 12:15 PM
    So you would rather experience horrible battery life then try to run a hybrid which would in turn optimize your 5.0 experience?

smh
    I probably will eventually, but I'm waiting to see what version of 5.0 Verizon releases. If it's .419 then I will go ahead and install the hybrid. Why don't I do that now? I'm not sure why. I'm just lazy.
    02-07-10 12:48 PM
    Hoping its not .419 for VZW. ;(

02-07-10 12:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD