I didn't see another forum for this, so I thought it was most appropriate here. I realize there are a couple of topics on this (and that is where I stole the title for this topic), but I didn't really find a definitive answer with respect to the brands below. I have the Tour, and I am looking for the best headphone/mic combo.

From what I have read, the earphones from Shure, Etymotic, Sennheiser, Ultimate Ears SuperFi, and Westone are all really good.

However, I can't tell if they have integrated microphones or phone buttons like the earphones that come with the Blackberry. (It appears the Shures have an add on of some kind.) For example, I have read good reviews of Westones, but can't find any information about a mic.

Also, I don't know which ones sound the best and which ones are the most comfortable. Price isn't really a hugh issue within reason.

Would love everyone's advice. Thanks.
    Last edited by werthan; 10-08-09 at 01:50 PM.
    10-08-09 01:34 PM
    So, as far as headphones go, I own a pair of Shure SE530's, Sennheiser IE7's, Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 EB's, and Westone 3's.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a headphone geek. As far as a good headphone/microphone combination headset, I'd recommend the NuForce NE7M's. They cost about $30 bucks if I remember correctly and for the money, you're receiving surprisingly hi-fidelity audio.

The biggest problem people have with the higher end IEM's [In-Ear Monitors] is that they don't get a proper seal with the things so the audio quality seems very tinny or anemic. Also, people are often times used to the bloated bass that the cheapo headsets offer.

Once your ears have time to adjust to the sound signature and the more flat, accurate reproduction, higher end headphones just keep sounding better and better.

So yeah, to answer the question, I'd recommend the NuForce NE7m's. If you wanted Ultimate Ears though, they also offer their Super.Fi 3vi's. I had those for a short period of time and they were alright but not enough to justify the price difference between the two headsets.

Hope this was helpful. :]
    10-08-09 04:56 PM
    So, as far as headphones go, I own a pair of Shure SE530's, Sennheiser IE7's, Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 EB's, and Westone 3's.

So yeah, to answer the question, I'd recommend the NuForce NE7m's. If you wanted Ultimate Ears though, they also offer their Super.Fi 3vi's. I had those for a short period of time and they were alright but not enough to justify the price difference between the two headsets.

Hope this was helpful. :]
    Extremely helpful. So, since you own the Shure 530s, which get a lot of positive reviews, you would recommend the NuForce's over the 530's (which have an adapter that apparently allows it to be an IEM/Mic combo)?

Only asking because I had not heard of the NuForce brand before. Thanks again for your reply too.
    10-08-09 06:45 PM
    Well, you have the consider what sort of price range you're looking at. Around $300 will get you a pair of the Shure SE530's and then maybe $320 - 350 will get you the complete set with the microphone adapter.

The NuForce NE7m's, on the other hand, run around $30.

I purchased the SE530's, the IE7's, the Super.Fi 5 EB's, and the Westone 3's for listening to music.

The NuForce NE7m's were just for my phone as they could provide a more than adequate level of audio reproduction and they've got the built in microphone.

Although, honestly, more often than not I just use my Jawbone Prime for phone calls. Yes, I'm that guy with the bluetooth headset on walking around looking like he's talking to himself.

Feel free to ask any other questions. :]
    10-08-09 08:13 PM
    Thanks again. Not too worried about price. Really I just want the best sound without having to carry multiple sets of earphones. I gather from the reply that the sound difference may not justify the price?
    10-09-09 08:53 AM
    Well, you have the consider what sort of price range you're looking at. Around $300 will get you a pair of the Shure SE530's and then maybe $320 - 350 will get you the complete set with the microphone adapter.

The NuForce NE7m's, on the other hand, run around $30.

I purchased the SE530's, the IE7's, the Super.Fi 5 EB's, and the Westone 3's for listening to music.

The NuForce NE7m's were just for my phone as they could provide a more than adequate level of audio reproduction and they've got the built in microphone.

Although, honestly, more often than not I just use my Jawbone Prime for phone calls. Yes, I'm that guy with the bluetooth headset on walking around looking like he's talking to himself.

Feel free to ask any other questions. :]
    Thanks for the great advice. Couple questions -

1) Where are you seeing the NuForce NE7M for $30? I'm finding $49+shipping everywhere.

2) Is the difference in quality (both mic and earphones) over the included OEM wired headset worth the $30-$50?
    10-09-09 09:02 AM
    Thanks again. Not too worried about price. Really I just want the best sound without having to carry multiple sets of earphones. I gather from the reply that the sound difference may not justify the price?
    Yeah. If you're going to use it simply as a phone headset for the Blackberry, then the price difference is not justified.

However, if you're going to be listening to music fairly extensively with the headphones as well, at that point I'd simply say treat yourself and get the SE530's. They're considered among the best for a reason. The Westone 3's are also a good choice. Then again, I'm a bit biased as I'm willing to spend the money for them for that level of sound quality.

Thanks for the great advice. Couple questions -

1) Where are you seeing the NuForce NE7M for $30? I'm finding $49+shipping everywhere.

2) Is the difference in quality (both mic and earphones) over the included OEM wired headset worth the $30-$50?
    I would say that in terms of audio quality, that the price difference is justified. I'm not entirely sure how long ago it was but I'd picked a pair of the NE7m's up for around $30-35. It might've been a sale online.
    10-09-09 12:25 PM
    10-09-09 01:07 PM
    However, if you're going to be listening to music fairly extensively with the headphones as well, at that point I'd simply say treat yourself and get the SE530's. They're considered among the best for a reason. The Westone 3's are also a good choice. Then again, I'm a bit biased as I'm willing to spend the money for them for that level of sound quality.
    Very helpful. I will probably be using it for both, especially listening to music while at work. Do you have a preference between the 530s and the Westones in terms of sound and comfort? Those are the most important two qualities for me, and those were the brands I was looking at, so you are making me more comfortable buying sight unseen.

Also, does the Westone have a mic? Could not tell from their website.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by werthan; 10-09-09 at 01:24 PM.
    10-09-09 01:17 PM
    Very helpful. I will probably be using it for both, especially listening to music while at work. Do you have a preference between the 530s and the Westones in terms of sound and comfort? Those are the most important two qualities for me, and those were the brands I was looking at, so you are making me more comfortable buying sight unseen.

Also, does the Westone have a mic? Could not tell from their website.

Thanks again.
    Oh god. I must be going stupid. I totally forgot that a microphone was one of your requirements I got so caught up talking about the headphones. No, the Westone's, unfortunately, do not.

However, they're both great and since the SE530's do offer the modular microphone adapter, I'd say if money really isn't an issue, treat yourself and go buy it. I think you'll be quite happy.
    Last edited by FYDave; 10-09-09 at 01:50 PM.
    10-09-09 01:39 PM
    I've used the Shure mic adapter with my SE530s -- great mic unless there is any background noise -- the background seems to be picked up better than my voice, irrespective of how the mic is positioned. Very disappointing.
    11-11-09 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD