Hey guys, I was just wondering what's the best OS to run on the 9630? I was running 4.7 for the longest time, and after calling U.S. Cellular's DTS line they recommended upgrading to 5.0 to fix my headphone jack (guess what, didn't work, it was a hardware problem). Anyways, after them sending out my new tour (again) i went ahead and upgraded it to the new OS. Now i like alot of the features, but it runs HORRIBLE on my tour. Seems to freeze all the time, especially when trying to unlock the device. I've never tried using the custom/hybrid OS's as found on here. What are you guys thoughts?
    06-28-10 08:40 PM
    I like 5.0.0.419 on my Tour. Just delete the vendor .xml file before installing it.
    06-28-10 10:14 PM
    I am running the official 5.0.0.735 from Verizon and it is by far the best I have tried. I was previously running 253, 419 and 662.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-10 12:31 AM
    Which version of OS 5 are you using? (Hit alt+rt caps key+h and look for "app version" to find this...). May want to try a wipe and reinstall the one you have, depending on what version you're currently on.

I'm using VZW's .732 OS currently, but I'm thinking of going back to .643 or using/making a hybrid. .732 doesn't seem to play very nice with some of the Google apps like sync that I've noticed, where .643, .419etc seemed to handle it no problem...

I had good luck with .419, and .643 also.

Here's how I change OS by the way:

Here are the steps I recommend taking to upgrade/downgrade your BB's OS using a PC. (If you have a Mac, you're on your own unfortunately as I've not used them).

Open desktop manager and make a backup of your bb (this won't back up your 3rd party apps, use BBSAK for that, plug that into the forum search if you're not familiar with it). Close Desktop Manager when you're done making your backups as you won't need it again until later.

Now you can go to add/remove programs and uninstall any BB OS's on the computer. (If you haven't ever installed a BB OS using this computer, this is unnecessary.) Download and install the OS you have chosen to use (the file you are downloading is an executable installer file which you must run after downloading it to install it on your PC).

After making sure you have made your backups as mentioned above, you are now ready to use jl_cmder or BBSAK to wipe your device. When the device has been wiped, you will see a white screen with a 507 reload software error. Do not panic, as this is what is supposed to happen.

Navigate to c:/program files/common files/research in motion/apploader and delete "vendor.xml" if the file you downloaded is for a different carrier than the one you're on. Now that you have deleted "vendor.xml" you can run "loader.exe" which will proceed to load the OS you have chosen onto your BB device.

When the apploader is finished, your new OS should be loaded. You will now have to restore the data/apps you backed up earlier using DM and BBSAK respectively.

Enjoy your new OS.

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 06-29-10 at 03:33 AM.
    06-29-10 03:14 AM
    I'm currently running us cellular's 5.0.0.484 (801) and it sucks! Its an absolute resource hog, the menus lag when running apps, I get the "waiting" clock every 30 seconds, and it sucks my battery horribly. Can you run a verizion OS on a us cellular tour?

06-29-10 08:18 AM
    I'm currently running us cellular's 5.0.0.484 (801) and it sucks! Its an absolute resource hog, the menus lag when running apps, I get the "waiting" clock every 30 seconds, and it sucks my battery horribly. Can you run a verizion OS on a us cellular tour?

You can.

If you select the "Sticky" on the top of this forum, there will be a link and install directions for you to use. You will need to delete the "vendor.xml" file prior to loading on your handset, and you'll have to use the apploader that comes with the OS to load it onto your handset. It sounds a little complicated, but it's not...
    06-29-10 08:25 AM
    I have been running .662 recently and its been running fine. I may update over the next week when i have time off and don't need my phone to be running. I'd say .662 is a good option battery is good radio/gps is good
    06-29-10 08:28 AM
    .643 has been a dream. By far the best I've used on my 9630. I have been using this leaked build for about two months now without issue. I am quite surprised that the .643 and .662 builds never were taken up as official builds by any of our carriers out there. You can find both [HERE]. You can find very easy instructions on how to load the OS using apploader (what I feel to be the easiest and safest method) [HERE] on Blackberry 101.
    06-29-10 09:20 AM
    I'm running willyboy's hybrid os with os6 files (approx 20 files) and it runs flawlessly! Battery life is awesome and very little memory leak .5 on my phone with stock theme!! I recommend it! And also you should get shrink-os to get rid of the language files and extra garbage you don't need to free up some memory! Good luck!

06-29-10 09:21 AM
    Thanks guys, I'll load up a new OS here shortly. This 484 version has got to go!

06-29-10 10:01 AM
    Thanks guys, I'll load up a new OS here shortly. This 484 version has got to go!
    Good. Keep us posted and let us know if there are any issues you run into along the way. Best of luck.
    06-29-10 10:07 AM
    643 and 732 are good choices, never tried 662. There's a thread in here from a few weeks back that gives instructions on skipping the PTT install when loading 732.
    06-29-10 02:46 PM
    643 is what I would recommend to you. Pretty much all OSs that Vzw have put out are trash imo.

06-29-10 03:06 PM
    643 was ehh ok... ate memory real quick..

484 was better at battery life.
    06-29-10 03:07 PM
    Is .419 like the ******* stepchild? Hardly anyone recommends that one. Is there something that is missing from it?
    06-29-10 03:10 PM
    .419 felt slow to me...... But it was a good Old school OS...

* Edit, I remember why i had issues with .419, the radio file was jacked... At least on VZW.
    06-29-10 03:13 PM
    To each is his own, I tried some hybrids and leaks and official OS. I like to run each for a few weeks and find out which you like. Some OS has browser click issues, others have a lag time when switching applications, find one that you like.
    Last edited by djontour; 06-29-10 at 03:57 PM.
    06-29-10 03:13 PM
    Is there any way to upgrade to a hybrid os or 732 without wiping the device? I've got a few apps that I paid for off App world that I don't want to lose. Or can i just use DM and the switch devices utility to transfer them once the OS is installed?
    06-29-10 05:52 PM
    Is .419 like the ******* stepchild? Hardly anyone recommends that one. Is there something that is missing from it?
    I would highly recommend .419. I have tried a few of the others including VZWs .732 and always come back to it.

06-29-10 06:00 PM
    I've been unable to sync any bluetooth devices (even the two that worked previously) since updating my os a month ago. I'm very interested in downgrading. My question is where do I find the older versions to download? I go to the verizon download (vzw.smithmicro.com) page and it only shows me the most recent and the one just behind that. (r1242 and r1059)

thanks It's been very interesting reading these threads.
    06-29-10 10:16 PM
    Check the OS discussion section.....

Also you can grab the same OS if it's on sprint and just remove the vendor file from the OS to install.
    06-29-10 10:18 PM
    Just finished upgrading to the.643 OS and noticed an IMMEDIATE improvement in applications and responsivness. Signal strength is also up. So at this point I'm very happy. I'll see how the battery lasts with this one. Now just 1 more day untill US Cellular FINALLY goes 3g.

06-29-10 10:24 PM
    Battery should be ok.. Keep an eye on memory, that OS used to like to take 1-4 mb a day with out usage...
    06-29-10 10:27 PM
    Awesome! Thank you!
    06-30-10 07:57 AM
    Awesome! Battery was left off the charger all night and still had full charge this morning. And just updated to 3g service. It is a good day!

06-30-10 08:52 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD