I'm swith to Tour from a Palm Treo because we added BES to our computer system. One thing I like about Treo is that I only received new email if I requested it. Since I'm in the office a good bit, I don't need BES pushing email to me 24/7 and burning up my battery.

I'm told there is some way to set the timing of the wireless sync to limit it to certain hours of the day.....or maybe only on demand. Can't locate anything on how to do this. Help !! My battery and I thank you.
    08-18-09 02:37 PM
    Why would it burn up your battery? If anything your Treo should be using more battery since its pulling every 15mins. Beauty of BES is that it is a true Push email. Only pushes when there is new email from server to phone.

If you want to control sync, setup your email as a pop using your exchange settings. Then that will be like your Treo pulling emails.
    08-18-09 02:47 PM
    Why would it burn up your battery? If anything your Treo should be using more battery since its pulling every 15mins. Beauty of BES is that it is a true Push email. Only pushes when there is new email from server to phone.

If you want to control sync, setup your email as a pop using your exchange settings. Then that will be like your Treo pulling emails.
    With the Treo, it only retreived email when I selected the "Get" button, so I was able to use it when I needed it or not have the constant pushes (my office email account is very active). I would like for the Tour to push email, but only on an as needed basis (i.e., ceratin hours, week days, out of town, etc). That's why I was interested in being able to manage the push timing.

So you think a POP set up is the only way to not have 24/7 push ?
    08-18-09 03:04 PM
    Uhh contact your BES admin, I know I would laugh if one of my users came asking to stop the Push emails.
    This is honestly the first time I have heard someone say they would rather "pull" their email instead of having it be Pushed.
    Push email doesn't burn up your battery more since it's a one way data connection. And it only syncs when there is new email.
    08-18-09 03:07 PM
    Uhh contact your BES admin, I know I would laugh if one of my users came asking to stop the Push emails.
    This is honestly the first time I have heard someone say they would rather "pull" their email instead of having it be Pushed.
    Push email doesn't burn up your battery more since it's a one way data connection. And it only syncs when there is new email.
    Well, let me explain it this way:

1. Before BES was installed and I had the office e-mail set up as POP, my battery charge usage was "normal" based on how much I used the device. With BES activated, I'm charging 2 or 3 times more often.
    2. If I'm in the office most days, and I have email on my computer, plus I have remote access at home, I don't need the push to the Tour 24/7
    3. The beauty of the Treo set up was I only accessed office email when needed. I was in control not the device.
    Last edited by 7turns; 08-18-09 at 03:20 PM.
    08-18-09 03:18 PM
    I am a BES admin with 200+users with Blackberry's. What you are describing about BES is how it is supposed to work. Your BB isn't doing anything, it's the BES server that is pushing your emails. It's supposed to always be on as in a true push.

I think what you maybe looking for is pop configured with your exchange server. Just take off your BB from BES and configure it to use as Pop. Then it would be exactly like your Treo.
    08-18-09 03:37 PM
    This doesn't seem like that odd of a question. I'm at my desk with my Outlook open almost all the time. I don't really "need" my email to be pushed to me all the time. it's actually a little annoying that my computer beeps & has a little pop-up and my Tour vibrates & sounds a tone.

It would be convenient to have a pull option on the user's end but only as long as there's some kind of scheduling option. Then again, i could imagine being called away from the office, forgetting to set it to push, and missing an urgent email. BUT, that's why it's a phone too.
    08-18-09 04:08 PM
    Install Desktop Manager saying "corporate/Work email". In the settings make sure it says to NOT redirect when the device is connected to the PC. Connect the device to the PC when you are in the room, you will not get e-mails. When you leave, take the device with you and you will be getting only those e-mails you did not receive when cradled.
    08-18-09 04:11 PM
    Install Desktop Manager saying "corporate/Work email". In the settings make sure it says to NOT redirect when the device is connected to the PC. Connect the device to the PC when you are in the room, you will not get e-mails. When you leave, take the device with you and you will be getting only those e-mails you did not receive when cradled.

But now I will have to get a second charging pod for the office, and then what about when I put a case on that doesn't ft in the charger???

J/K, of course. I actually already used to how it's working right now, that if I didn't get an email notification on my BB then I would never check my Outlook.
    08-18-09 04:18 PM
    I haven't noticed a change in my battery life since I switched to the BES, as far as the notification side, if my phone didn't beep I would never look at my email (at my desk). Blackberries are perfect for attention span impaired.
    08-18-09 08:06 PM
    The E-mail at my desk notifies me of new messages, appointments, etc. with an audio and visual notice....then that is followed shortly thereafter with a beep on my Blackberry.

Thanks for all the input. I now know what my options are.
    08-19-09 08:20 AM
    unless your gettin emails like every minute, the BES will not affect your battery life. its the same as if you have any of your internet emails on your phone....they push whenever there is a new email...
    08-19-09 08:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD