The trackball controller - BlackBerry Tour 9630 OEM trackball sensor board - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular

and the trackpad controller - BlackBerry Bold 9700 OEM trackpad - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories - 3G, Sony,

look like they might be interchangable. they seem to use the same connector, i don't know if they use the same pins in the connector though. what do you guys think? the case would need to be modified a little to fit the larger trackpad but i think it might just work. has anyone tried this yet? i haven't opened my tour yet and i don't know if i really want to but this might be worth looking into. lemme know what you guys think
    04-28-10 02:19 AM
    i really dont think that this is possible considering the changes that were done to the keypad assembly on the 9650. the changed almost everything except for the lcd.
    04-28-10 07:21 AM
    no way, no how.. this has been disused so many times in the past
    04-28-10 07:29 AM
    but has anyone tried it? or does anyone have specs on the pins used by the different sensors? the cables do go to different spots in the phone but the optical sensor might have a long enough cable to fold it to the right spot. but the real question is the pins and i would imagine they would have the same pinouts.
    04-28-10 08:40 AM
    I was comparing the pinouts of 2 optical trackpads
    BlackBerry Curve 8520/8530 OEM trackpad - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories - 3G, and BlackBerry Bold 9700 OEM trackpad - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories - 3G, Sony,
    and it seems they are different so it doesn't look like the pinout is standard. i could be wrong about the curve tho.
    04-28-10 08:54 AM
    even if the pins fit, like mentioned in a post above, the trackpad wouldn't fit in the current keypad. there would have to be modifications made to the keypad
    04-28-10 09:17 AM
    yeah u'd have to take a dremel to it or something, but that wasn't really the part i was worried about.
    04-28-10 09:56 AM
    No one is stopping you so go for it. I would have to agree and say it probably won't work. You're going to have to heavily modify the connections and buttons just to make it fit.
    04-28-10 11:02 AM
    and load in a OS that works with the trackpad and the Tour.. goodluck trying to ask RIM to make you an OS for it lol
    04-28-10 11:03 AM
    if you got it to work, you'd have a **** of business on your hands!

If it doesn't, you've got a **** of a mess on your hands!

Good luck, keep us up to date. You'll be the Mr. Wizard of BB's.
    04-28-10 11:05 AM
    The 9630 software won't support the trackpad.
    04-28-10 11:14 AM
    The 9630 software won't support the trackpad.
    is there specialized software for the trackpad? or is it just similar to the trackball where you can set the sensitivity?

if anybody has a trackpad/trackball lying around do you think you could send me some high res pictures? that would really help me figure out if RIM did what i think they did.
    04-28-10 09:29 PM
    if you got it to work, you'd have a **** of business on your hands!

If it doesn't, you've got a **** of a mess on your hands!

Good luck, keep us up to date. You'll be the Mr. Wizard of BB's.
    + 1,000,000,000

This is funny as HE||.
    04-28-10 10:21 PM
    Look, the last thread on this was quite in-depth. The PCB connections won't match, the inputs from the trackpad are electro-optical, the trackball uses electro-mechanical input, requiring a different code for the software. You aren't going to be able to modify the board, the hardware, the software, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-10 10:33 PM
    can you link me to the last thread?
    04-29-10 01:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD