Ok os i was on the phone with a vzw rep and he seemed pretty incompetent but he told me that when the BB storm came out it was virtually impossible to get it for 2-3 months unless you pre-ordered it. I was just wondering if that is true because it seems really far fetched because he told me that it would be the case with the BB Tour and therefore i should pre-order it now.
    07-04-09 09:30 PM
    well for one, they've had well over one year of manufacturing time on this. another is that if vzw does not have it, they'll be losing out to sprint so I highly doubt that there will be a shortage.
    07-04-09 09:33 PM
    I hope there wont be, but there almost definitely wont be as much of a shortage as there was with the storm
    07-04-09 09:34 PM
    Ok os i was on the phone with a vzw rep and he seemed pretty incompetent but he told me that when the BB storm came out it was virtually impossible to get it for 2-3 months unless you pre-ordered it. I was just wondering if that is true because it seems really far fetched because he told me that it would be the case with the BB Tour and therefore i should pre-order it now.
    This is the exact kind of thing that terrorizes the BB community.

If the guy seemed "incompetent", why is his rhetoric worth posting?

Just my 2 cents.
    07-04-09 09:39 PM
    This is the exact kind of thing that terrorizes the BB community.

If the guy seemed "incompetent", why is his rhetoric worth posting?

Just my 2 cents.
    makes perfect sense. Because he wanted to double check that he was actually incompetent.

Yes and no. Don't expect the same thing to happen with the Tour. There were a few circumstances that kept them regularly selling out until after Christmas. After Christmas though super easy. I called my local Verizon store January 5th (when my AT&T contract ended. Just happened to be timing coincidence), and from calling around I found plenty of stores that had them.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the Tour is going to be anything like the storm though. The storm was advertised and was a big deal since it was BB's first touch screen. Ppl were hyped up. Also Christmas was right there and everyone was asking for it for Christmas. ALSO, right before the storm shipped they found a bug in the OS (or something similar), and so they had to flash all the OS's of the storms before they went to the stores, and because of that there was a shortage.

There has been ZERO advertising for the tour, and most people don't know what it is. I would be surprised if it got sold out the first day (and it might. I don't know the supply), but if it does, it won't be like that for too long.
    Last edited by spierce7; 07-04-09 at 10:32 PM.
    07-04-09 10:29 PM
    makes perfect sense. Because he wanted to double check that he was actually incompetent.

Yes and no. Don't expect the same thing to happen with the Tour. There were a few circumstances that kept them regularly selling out until after Christmas. After Christmas though super easy. I called my local Verizon store January 5th (when my AT&T contract ended. Just happened to be timing coincidence), and from calling around I found plenty of stores that had them.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the Tour is going to be anything like the storm though. The storm was advertised and was a big deal since it was BB's first touch screen. Ppl were hyped up. Also Christmas was right there and everyone was asking for it for Christmas. ALSO, right before the storm shipped they found a bug in the OS (or something similar), and so they had to flash all the OS's of the storms before they went to the stores, and because of that there was a shortage.

There has been ZERO advertising for the tour, and most people don't know what it is. I would be surprised if it got sold out the first day (and it might. I don't know the supply), but if it does, it won't be like that for too long.
    Thanks that was really helpful.
    07-04-09 11:13 PM
    I'm going with spierce7.

And think of all the people who used their 2 (heck, or even 1) year contract renewals on the Storm and who are ineligible to get the Tour.

Sure - there are some mixed reviews -- some absolutely hating the Storm, and some not minding it. But, the percentage who are willing to switch and pay the full retail price? Very little. I'd say less than 1%.

So, either the average Verizon customer is completely clueless to the Tour or they are binded in a contract and do not want it that badly.

(For crying out loud, I knew about the Niagara, but I never knew about the name change or even the carriers until I signed up for this forum (today!). I had just figured the Niagara was taken out of production.)
    07-04-09 11:35 PM

i also agree, I think there are going to be plenty of TOurs for everyone.. My NE2 starts on July 28 and Im not worried that the stores will be out of the Tour..
    07-05-09 04:10 AM
    Honestly, even if there weren't enough being supplied to Stores, would it be the end of the world or a major disaster? It's a BlackBerry, they make more. You've all waited this long for it and weren't expecting it until September, so I'm pretty sure the extra wait won't kill you. Worst case scenario you end up going to another city to get one. I find it highly unnecessary to create another thread full of SPECULATIVE information from uninformed Reps.
    If you think this is bad you should check out some Sprint forums. They are still going crazy about Pre supply issues.
    07-05-09 07:42 AM
    i'm a little worried about ordering one on the 12th and not having it ship right away do to shortage. I cant pre-order the Tour since i worked out a deal with verizon on something abotu the Tour, but i can't order it till the 12th. I hope i don't have to wait like 2 or 3 weeks after i order it opening day to get it
    07-05-09 11:21 AM
    Honestly, if this was touted as a mainstream consumer device, with pre-release advertising, we might see a shortage. But it's not a mainstream consumer device. It's being touted as a business device and there's been no advertising. As excited as everyone was to finally have a cdma Curve, I don't recall Verizon ever being out of stock on them. The Tour will be the same way. Therefore, I think we have nothing to fear. Especially if ordering online or via Telesales. Stores are known not to get many in, but I really don't think there will be a shortage in the warehouse.
    07-05-09 11:52 AM
    Honestly, even if there weren't enough being supplied to Stores, would it be the end of the world or a major disaster? It's a BlackBerry, they make more. You've all waited this long for it and weren't expecting it until September, so I'm pretty sure the extra wait won't kill you. Worst case scenario you end up going to another city to get one. I find it highly unnecessary to create another thread full of SPECULATIVE information from uninformed Reps.
    Well according to the rep, people weren't able to get the storm for 2-3 months if they hadn't pre-ordered and yes waiting 2-3 months is a huge deal, waiting 2-3 weeks wouldn't be such a big deal to me.
    07-05-09 12:01 PM
    For those who have this catastrophic fear that the Tour might not be able July 13, all I can say is.....get a life. It's a phone. Am I very excited about this phone? Yes. Will it change my life if I don't get it right away? No. Would its guaranteed availability July 13 solve the peace issues in the Middle East or the hunger problems in Africa, or the foreclosure crisis right here in at home in the U.S.? Of course not.

As Frankie (goes to Hollywood) said.......Relax.
    07-05-09 12:03 PM
    the reason the storm had such a shortage (and so many issues) was because the final s/w version had to be reworked kinda last minute. they had to revert back to an older version (if you got a first edition you can see the old sticker under the new one). this old version not only created all of the s/w issues BUT cut a rumored 400,000 units from the vzw shipment.

not only are there more tours made (and vzw is getting the vast majority of them, more than they had storms) but the demand is no where near the same.

there are no tour commercials, no hype unless ur a crackberry addict. as a retail rep i had about 20 "preorders" of the storm for launch and so did the other 4 reps, we only got 10. we each have about 2-3 for the tour and we should be getting over 20.

so i would say picking one up on launch will be no problem.
    Last edited by typesredline; 07-05-09 at 09:34 PM.
    07-05-09 07:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD