how's it going? i'm new to the whole blackberry phone thing. just got it this past weekend. I bought it to keep intouch with my family while i'm in Iraq. and to have a phone to do buissness with while i'm over there.

while traveling in germany and turkey on my way to iraq i couldnt get a signal nor log onto the internet on my phone.

i have the blackberry tour phone with a International plan from verizon. what steps do i have to take to be able to BBM, skype, or check my email, and or social netoworks on my Blackberry tour? thanks.
    05-11-10 04:48 PM
    Did you unlock the phone?
    Did you get or activate a SIM card in order to get GSM service in those countries?

Note also that regardless of the items above, Skype only works in the US and while on the Verizon network.
    05-11-10 04:54 PM
    I'm a Sprint customer and when I went to Mexico I simply had to call them and enable international dialing. It's free with Sprint and once it's done I don't have to do it again. It might as simple as calling Verizon and doing the same thing. Just watch out for those data charges while overseas.
    Oops. Just saw that you already have an international plan. Might still check the dialer though.
    Last edited by jbenrn; 05-11-10 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Missed a detail in OP.
    05-11-10 05:09 PM
    Mexico has CDMA.

Germany and Turkey do not.
    05-11-10 06:40 PM
    You might need to check Manage Connections and check the settings - you probably want GLOBAL but not limited to 3g or 1evx (or whatever those initials are). At least that would be the case for Germany.

If that does not work, you might need to contact Verizon. I don't have the number for international at hand. Your SIM card in in there??? You do need the sim card for gsm connections.
    05-11-10 09:40 PM
    how's it going? i'm new to the whole blackberry phone thing. just got it this past weekend. I bought it to keep intouch with my family while i'm in Iraq. and to have a phone to do buissness with while i'm over there.

while traveling in germany and turkey on my way to iraq i couldnt get a signal nor log onto the internet on my phone.

i have the blackberry tour phone with a International plan from verizon. what steps do i have to take to be able to BBM, skype, or check my email, and or social netoworks on my Blackberry tour? thanks.

Ok well....

Iraq is mostly GSM, and has 3 major cell companies. You should really consider unlocking the phone, and buying a prepaid SIM card from one of the carriers. Call them from here, they all speak english.

Asian cell is oen........Asiacell.com
    Atheer telecom is another.......Zain.com
    korektell is the 3rd......... korektel.com

All will be happy to help you.

When I'm in Mexico I use Telcel GSM and they are AMAZING. No wonder Carlos slim is a billionaire.
    05-11-10 10:12 PM
    Mexico has CDMA.

Germany and Turkey do not.

Mexico's CDMA coverage is crap, even in the big cities...

In Germany a prepaid DT Sim card would have worked.
    05-11-10 10:14 PM

Internation roaming plan or a BlackBerry International Plan? Two different things. Needs to be a specific BlackBerry Data Plan.
    05-15-10 12:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD