Hi,

I just got the BB Tour 2 weeks ago. My little girl spilt juice and it splashed on the keyboard of the BB. I dried up the phone and turn it off and took the battery out. The litmus paper on the phone itself is still white, however, the litmus paper on the battery has turned red. After wiping off the phone, i put it in a bowl of rice for 2 days. Today, I put the battery on and the screen appears. I can see that i have missed calls and messages. I can still move the trackball perfectly. When I press on the space bar and the end button, the screen show I just typed "n". All the other keypad does not respond when I press on them.

Could someone PLEASE help me?
    1. Because the litmus paper on the battery turned red, I am assuming my warranty is voided. Is that true?

2. Can this phone still be fixed if i am unable to get a warranty exchange?

I am really sorry for the "novel" of a thread. This is my first time and i do apologize for wasting anyone's time.

Please, it would be greatly appreciated if I can have get some help.
    Last edited by tpln; 10-15-09 at 07:38 PM.
    10-15-09 07:30 PM
    Send it back...you have 30 days since you have purchased it right? :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-09 07:37 PM
    Send it back...you have 30 days since you have purchased it right? :-)

It was an early renewal thru Telus.

Does it matter that the litmus paper on the battery turned red? should i buy a new battery first then send it in?

Thank you!
    10-15-09 07:45 PM
    I don't think its a big deal. Even though its a customer defect, you should be entitled to a swap of the same phone

10-15-09 08:00 PM
    I don't think its a big deal. Even though its a customer defect, you should be entitled to a swap of the same phone

Thanks....much appreciated!!!!!!!!!
    10-15-09 08:04 PM
    The advice above is wrong.

Once they find the moisture damage, you will be responsible for the cost of the device.

Do you have insurance?
    10-15-09 08:11 PM
    There is a 30 day return policy...

10-15-09 08:15 PM
    There is a 30 day return policy...

Not if there is liquid damage.
    10-15-09 09:17 PM
    Insurance is the way to go. It replaces the phone for whatever reason - loss, damage, theft, etc.

10-15-09 10:59 PM
    That really sucks. Maybe your girlfriend was jealous of all the attention your BB gets...j/k hehe.

You will have to pay the deductible, but that sure beats paying full price for a new one. This is a perfect example of why people should never be so cheap as to not get insurance for their BlackBerry.
    10-15-09 11:40 PM
    That really sucks. Maybe your girlfriend was jealous of all the attention your BB gets...j/k hehe.

You will have to pay the deductible, but that sure beats paying full price for a new one. This is a perfect example of why people should never be so cheap as to not get insurance for their BlackBerry.
    I am just curious........where would you buy insurance for the BB?
    10-16-09 08:00 AM
    I am just curious........where would you buy insurance for the BB?
    I don't know how you bought your Tour, but if you got it from Telus then you may want to read this...

MobileSyrup.com - Canadian Mobile Phone News & Reviews - Cell phones and Accessories

Some service providers don't even offer insurance, but you can purchase insurance through a third party agency. I don't know much about this site, but I'm just giving an example here.

http://www.ensquared.com/

Some people argue that it's a waste of money to insure your phone since most of these replacements are actually refurbished phones, however, I would still take that over having no phone at all or having to pay full retail for a new one. I'm sure there may be some other options available for you to consider, but that's for you to look into.

Maybe others can share their experiences with you on what they did instead of paying for insurance. I just pay the $4.99 a month even though I take pretty good care of my phones, but you never know.
    Last edited by Tour Up From the Floor Up; 10-16-09 at 08:36 AM.
    10-16-09 08:33 AM
    Okay, there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding this, so for everyone out there who is wondering, let me clarify.

A) When you take the back cover off your BB 8900, the ROUND sticker directly to the LEFT of your camera lens IS NOT LITMUS PAPER. It will be a red dot with a white border and a white + or - (minus sign, or line) in the middle. THIS IS NORMAL and is a cover for a screw. Don't remove it, leave it alone...that said, it's NOT LITMUS PAPER.

B) When you remove the battery, look down about a 1/4 inch from the camera lens, a little to the left of it...you should see a little SQUARE on the inside EDGE of the battery compartment (not on the "bottom" or the compartment, on the "edge" at the "top"). THAT IS LITMUS PAPER. If it's not white, you're SOL....if it's pink, you're SOL. If it's red, you're definately SOL.

C) The little square/rectangular sticker on the "bottom" edge of your battery, just to the left of the + and - terminal indicators....this sticker IS NOT LITMUS PAPER. It will be stock, from the factory white with a large red stripe right down the middle....also I've read that some will have red X's. If this was litmus paper and it got wet, you could just buy a new battery for $10 online and you'd be good to go, so that would be kinda pointless. THIS IS NOT LITMUS PAPER!

D) There has been some debate about whether there is litmus paper INSIDE the blackberry javelin, where you cannot get to it without voiding your warranty (ie. removing the sticker we discussed in paragraph "A)"). There seems to be conflicting reports, with some people saying that there IS litmus paper INSIDE the device somewhere (who knows where???). They have said that t-mobile reps told them this. Besides the fact that t-mobile reps are not always the most reliable sources of info regarding more "obscure" questions like this, until you are told that yourself by a t-mobile rep, it is heresay....and now me repeating what others have said is double heresay.....so, the jury is still out on this one....BUT...

That said, although I have not personally taken my 8900 apart to look for litmus/ldi indicators, I did do a search for high-resolution images of a torndown 8900 (search google for blackberry 8900 teardown) and I DO NOT SEE ANY INDICATION OF LITMUS PAPER INSIDE THE DEVICE!!! You can see for yourself and make the judgement yourself:

phoneWreck � BlackBerry Curve 8900 – Review and Teardown

Also, for those of you who are STILL confused about what IS and what IS NOT litmus paper on the blackberry javelin 8900, read this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/wa...ctures-194950/

If after reading this post, and the posts linked above, you are STILL confused about what IS and what IS NOT litmus paper, I'm afraid you have a lot bigger problem than a water damaged phone and should probably close your web browser and seek psychiatric help instead
    10-26-09 03:28 PM
    Since the phone is pretty much hosed anyway, I would suggest getting a bottle of rubbing alcohol and try dousing the keyboard section with it. The alcohol may cut the stickyness of the juice and it evaporates rather quickly. Dab it off and stick it back in the rice for a day or 2. I would also suggest a ziplock bag for the rice, not just a bowl. If you seal it off, the drying effect is stronger.
    10-26-09 03:42 PM
    Okay, there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding this, so for everyone out there who is wondering, let me clarify.

A) When you take the back cover off your BB 8900, the ROUND sticker directly to the LEFT of your camera lens IS NOT LITMUS PAPER. It will be a red dot with a white border and a white + or - (minus sign, or line) in the middle. THIS IS NORMAL and is a cover for a screw. Don't remove it, leave it alone...that said, it's NOT LITMUS PAPER.

B) When you remove the battery, look down about a 1/4 inch from the camera lens, a little to the left of it...you should see a little SQUARE on the inside EDGE of the battery compartment (not on the "bottom" or the compartment, on the "edge" at the "top"). THAT IS LITMUS PAPER. If it's not white, you're SOL....if it's pink, you're SOL. If it's red, you're definately SOL.

C) The little square/rectangular sticker on the "bottom" edge of your battery, just to the left of the + and - terminal indicators....this sticker IS NOT LITMUS PAPER. It will be stock, from the factory white with a large red stripe right down the middle....also I've read that some will have red X's. If this was litmus paper and it got wet, you could just buy a new battery for $10 online and you'd be good to go, so that would be kinda pointless. THIS IS NOT LITMUS PAPER!

D) There has been some debate about whether there is litmus paper INSIDE the blackberry javelin, where you cannot get to it without voiding your warranty (ie. removing the sticker we discussed in paragraph "A)"). There seems to be conflicting reports, with some people saying that there IS litmus paper INSIDE the device somewhere (who knows where???). They have said that t-mobile reps told them this. Besides the fact that t-mobile reps are not always the most reliable sources of info regarding more "obscure" questions like this, until you are told that yourself by a t-mobile rep, it is heresay....and now me repeating what others have said is double heresay.....so, the jury is still out on this one....BUT...

That said, although I have not personally taken my 8900 apart to look for litmus/ldi indicators, I did do a search for high-resolution images of a torndown 8900 (search google for blackberry 8900 teardown) and I DO NOT SEE ANY INDICATION OF LITMUS PAPER INSIDE THE DEVICE!!! You can see for yourself and make the judgement yourself:

phoneWreck � BlackBerry Curve 8900 – Review and Teardown

Also, for those of you who are STILL confused about what IS and what IS NOT litmus paper on the blackberry javelin 8900, read this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/wa...ctures-194950/

If after reading this post, and the posts linked above, you are STILL confused about what IS and what IS NOT litmus paper, I'm afraid you have a lot bigger problem than a water damaged phone and should probably close your web browser and seek psychiatric help instead
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have to say this is a great answer. Lots of good info and with sources to back it up which makes it reliable, well done JonnyD.

This site needs more answers like this one. Not that there isn't a lot of credible answers here, because there actually are a lot, but there is far too many speculative answers being given and people just accept them as if they were fact. They then spread this misinformation all over the threads.

Have you ever repeated some of this nonsense found in some of these threads to a tech and got a smile, a chuckle, and a shake of the head from the tech you were talking to? I'll admit to it, I have done it before in the past with a different device. The tech asked me where I got my info and when I told him he advised, "Don't believe everything you read on the internet." This came from someone about 15 years my junior, not far removed from high school. I didn't really need his advice, but it made me realize that I need to be more careful about how I phrase my questions to them and investigate what I find in forums if I don't want to look like an ***** to others.

If you really want to help other people with their questions or device problems do some research for them instead of misguiding people. Don't make your speculation sound like a fact, be honest. If you don't know simply state so then tell of your theory. Even if you don't know you can help by making a suggestion or sharing a similar experience. It's really not that hard and you only look like an ***** to those who do know better or to those who find out later what they read here was bad info. Someone might say, "So what, big deal." It ruins the integrity of the site so it is a big deal.

Let me say it again. There are lots of good answers here like this one from JonnyD. I just wanted to pat him on the back and also point out that there is far too much worthless information being posted that's being accepted as facts. Answers should have sources so we can all gain some knowledge in our shared enthusiasm of our BlackBerries and hopefully find quick answers to our questions. Have you ever did a keyword search here and have to sift through tons of threads and still not find the answer to what you expected to be a basic issue?

Ok, you can have the thread back now.
    10-26-09 05:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD