I meant to say device, not battery, temperature.

Anyway, I was just sitting at my desk working on the computer when I felt the heat coming through my pants pocket. It was my Tour. I quickly went into MeterBerry and saw the temperature was at 109 F! Now I was in a bad reception area, so I assume that played a factor in heating the phone, but 109 F seems way to high to be normal. Almost dangerous infact.

Is there anyway to keep my device cooler without completely shutting off the network connection or putting the device into standby? Is my device/battery in danger of being damaged with such higher temperatures?
    01-25-10 01:04 PM
    Nope. it's giving off heat. Which is a good thing.. It has to go somewhere.

But I have had issues before with it heating up.... Allot of browsing, music, any app's that pull the juice.
    01-25-10 01:06 PM
    I have found that battery/device temperatures vary depending on what OS you're running and obviously the usage. The only time I get high temps is when using the phone while its charging. I remember it used to get VERY hot on 4.7, it seems like temperature management is better on some of the 5.0 builds
    01-25-10 01:10 PM
    I have found that battery/device temperatures vary depending on what OS you're running and obviously the usage. The only time I get high temps is when using the phone while its charging. I remember it used to get VERY hot on 4.7, it seems like temperature management is better on some of the 5.0 builds
    Yep different radio files would do that as well.
    01-25-10 01:12 PM
    The thing is that my phone is idle when it gets very hot. Can we blame this on a bad radio file combined with bad reception?
    01-25-10 01:33 PM
    The thing is that my phone is idle when it gets very hot. Can we blame this on a bad radio file combined with bad reception?

My GF and I have the same exact Tour's. She's been experiencing this same problem. Mine doesn't get hot...Unless I just can't feel it through the OtterBox. Perhaps she should just get one of those.
    01-25-10 03:12 PM
    jorGeorge: I have the same issues. My tour can heat up to around 105 (max I've ever recorded in FIXMOtools) sometimes too. I have the same problem, no to very little usage and blazing hot battery temps. Never got a good answer myself and so far my leg hasn't blown off so I haven't really done anything about it either!

I love your avatar! Mike Mitchell---the man behind the "I'm with Coco" movement if you want to call it that is a great guy. Used to know him from THREADLESS a user-submitted design website for t-shirts! He's a **** of an artist!
    01-25-10 04:11 PM
    I love your avatar! Mike Mitchell---the man behind the "I'm with Coco" movement if you want to call it that is a great guy. Used to know him from THREADLESS a user-submitted design website for t-shirts! He's a **** of an artist!
    Haha, COCO! COCO! COCO! I think I might buy a shirt off his website. I'll be showing my Coco support all around town!
    01-25-10 05:12 PM
    Let's bring this thread back around... Anyone our there know why our 9630 batteries are getting hotter than our coco(a)?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-10 03:36 PM
    I really don't think there's much other than what's stated above: too many apps running, bad radio file, bad reception, or a combination of the both. All I'm hoping for is another 5.0 release that hopefully fixes any unknown issues that may be causing the overheating.
    01-26-10 06:53 PM
    Get the Seidio 2600mAh battery. My battery temp never goes above 77 degrees, regardless of heavy usage or charging. Its a lil expensive to do, but its well worth it.
    01-26-10 07:41 PM
    Get the Seidio 2600mAh battery.
    Is that a larger battery? Would love the extra juice and the low heat, but I don't want to have an new battery door and an extra bit hanging out over the rest of the phone.
    01-26-10 07:43 PM
    yeah, unfortunately the seidio 2600 comes with an ugly protruding batt door, but it is one heck of a battery! I have never experienced any over heating issues and I have run numerous OSs, leaks, hybrids, as well as multiple apps. Could it possibly a defective battery? Oh, and I agree, go COCO!
    01-26-10 07:53 PM
    Yes its a larger battery, but it is not uncomfortable. Seidio has a case 9630X that is for the larger battery as well. The battery has a new back door included. If you use Phantom skinz or another shield the thickness is about another 3 millimeters. With the Seidio case it totals about 5 millimeters. The contours on the case are nice and pleasant to the eye.
    01-26-10 07:56 PM
    ^^testcellchris is not far off, the batt door is nowhere near as bad as the 9700, but I like my slim phone. Oh, and off topic, @testcellchris, saw that u are in Greer, sweeet! I grew up in easley and lived in greer/greenville for a cpl years, nice to meet you!
    01-26-10 07:59 PM
    Hey Joe, 7 years here I love it! yep off topic, sorry fellas... Oh by the way you can get the 1600mAh battery and it will fit behind the original door. I used it and it worked well. I made it through the day, but I wanted to have that extra juice in case I needed it. The 2600mAh gives me two days. I cant say a bad thing about it. Its just my opinion for what its worth...
    01-26-10 08:08 PM
    yeah, I would love the extra batt life since my days r typically 8am to 10pm and usually charge while driving to ensure it lasts the entire day, but I cant do the extra bit of space, plus I'm a huge fan of my belt clip/phone cover and an just used to it at this point. And off topic, yeah, Greenville is a beautiful city, love the downtown life!
    01-26-10 08:12 PM
    I meant to say device, not battery, temperature.

Anyway, I was just sitting at my desk working on the computer when I felt the heat coming through my pants pocket. It was my Tour. I quickly went into MeterBerry and saw the temperature was at 109 F! Now I was in a bad reception area, so I assume that played a factor in heating the phone, but 109 F seems way to high to be normal. Almost dangerous infact.

Is there anyway to keep my device cooler without completely shutting off the network connection or putting the device into standby? Is my device/battery in danger of being damaged with such higher temperatures?
    First thing I would suggest is keep it out of your pants pocket... you are already heating it to 98*.... then the phone itself working.. can't expect it to cool very much like that..but that's just my opinion.
    01-26-10 11:36 PM
    First thing I would suggest is keep it out of your pants pocket... you are already heating it to 98*.... then the phone itself working.. can't expect it to cool very much like that..but that's just my opinion.
    lol I assure you my leg is not warming my phone to 109 degrees. First of all, that's ridiculous. Second of all, I have an Innocase 360 on it that is covered by rubber and feels cool to the touch. Thirdly, I carry my phone in my pocket all the time and the average temperature stands at 77. Fourthly, the heat is being generated directly from the device. There is no external warming taking place.
    01-27-10 09:58 AM
    As far as the battery draining issue goes, I bought a D-X1 off Amazon and a wall charger.

D-X1

External battery charger
    01-27-10 12:25 PM
    As far as the battery draining issue goes, I bought a D-X1 off Amazon and a wall charger.

D-X1

External battery charger
    I bought the same battery but got a BB charger (charges off a microUSB)
    01-28-10 06:10 PM
    To get back on topic...

I was using my new [2 week old] Tour at work today; only app running was Nobex (streamlining music from local station) for about 2+ hours to run the battery down (per SmithMicro's instructions - "How do I maximize battery Power?" @ Answers to FAQs ) in my knit shirt pocket over an undershirt and it got HOT!!!

Ran the battery from 100% to 4% in ~3 hours...and if I'd had it lying on my bare chest, I would have been hurting...
    Last edited by ferretface; 01-28-10 at 08:27 PM.
    01-28-10 08:14 PM
    lol I assure you my leg is not warming my phone to 109 degrees. First of all, that's ridiculous. Second of all, I have an Innocase 360 on it that is covered by rubber and feels cool to the touch. Thirdly, I carry my phone in my pocket all the time and the average temperature stands at 77. Fourthly, the heat is being generated directly from the device. There is no external warming taking place.
    First of all, LMAO...... second of all,,sounds like you have it all figured out...last and not least,, maybe the best thing is to shut the thing off until you get a signal so it isn't searching constantly working the dog snot out of the radio...eh?
    Last edited by olemil; 01-29-10 at 12:11 AM.
    01-28-10 11:42 PM
    My Tour used to get hot when I kept it in vibrate mode now I just put it on silent or medium.
    01-29-10 10:29 AM
    Being in an area with bad reception, like the basement of a building is what does it for me. The device is constantly trying to get a signal and applications are also trying to update as well. That's when my device runs hot and the battery drainage is at it's worst...
    01-29-10 10:41 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD