I have already bought a spare battery, charging case, car cord and charging pod (all OEM BB) for my Tour I'll be picking up on Friday. After reading on here, it probably isn't the best way to get a fresh charge by swapping batteries all the time causing it to reset. I was thinking of using it like my Instinct with two batteries and just swapping them out... not a good plan??? TIA
    09-29-09 10:27 AM
    You know, i have never had the need for a spare battery and i use the bberry quite a bit everday. However, i think that RIM has always had in mind that these phones are meant for the corporate user that uses them non-stop, a mobile office if you will. That being said, i don't believe and i am certainly no expert on the subject, that the Tour would be somehow damaged by swapping batteries because you need the fresh charge. I however, wouldn't be able to take how long it takes for the bberry to boot up (about 5 minutes).
    09-29-09 10:33 AM
    1. When swapping batteries, remember it takes 3-5 minutes before it reboots.

2. Swapping the battery shouldn't cause any problems with the phone.

3. If you have all of those chargers/cradles etc, there shouldn't be a need to swap the battery. Unless you are on the phone a lot and have no access to a charger.

I just throw mine on the cradle when i'm not using it. But even when I am using it heavily, it takes a LONG time before it runs down to the point of requiring a charge. Then again, there are a lot of factors to consider (signal strenght, data usage, apps running, etc...).
    09-29-09 10:38 AM
    I have just ordered a new battery, haven't received it yet. The only time I had the need for a new battery is after a long flight, when I listen to music or video draining most of the battery, and when I need to use the GPS after I land.
    09-29-09 10:38 AM
    It won't hurt the phone to swap batteries everyday. Plenty of people do "battery pulls" everyday to stop memory leakage and whatnot.

I usually have 60-70% battery at the end of my day and I use mine pretty often for web browsing/apps/messaging/calls ect...so you SHOULD be ok. Unless you are on it 24/7 with multiple apps open at a time.

Just remember to close out of your apps properly and you should be just fine.

I had the instinct before too and the crappy battery was the reason they had to include extras with the phone. The Tour isn't anywhere close as bad as the Instinct was. I actually like the Tours battery.

If you think it's not enough, get the extended battery (2600 mAh) for it.
    09-29-09 10:41 AM
    I actually used to keep a spare battery with my Curve, because the cigarette lighter never worked in my car, so I couldn't use a car charger. I don't believe it causes any damage and its actually a really good idea.
    09-29-09 10:42 AM
    Wow,, thank you for all the quick replies! Guess I will have a spare battery sitting around....lol, maybe I could swap them every few months just to keep them both conditioned, but probably will just use one and have the second for a back up. Thanks again.. Friday will not get here soon enough!!!! P.S. does anyone know how to read the "lot code" on the D-X1 batteries? I figure there is a date code in there somewhere.
    09-29-09 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD