I know the Tour's battery life has been the topic of much debate since its launch. Admit idly, the battery life on my tour was less than stellar for the first 3 or so days, but it did get considerably better over time. Being somewhat of a BB veteran, I wasn't too concerned because I knew that this would most likely be addressed with future OS updates.

For those of you still not happy with your Tour's battery life, I have some good news...

I've been running the new 5.0.0.191 OS for the past few days and the battery life has improved dramatically.

According to Meterberry, I took my Tour off the charger at 6:33am today. It is now 7:40pm and I'm at 70%. My discharge rate is at 2.3% for today. Now I haven't been keeping track, but I'm pretty sure my battery life has improved by around 30-40% from when I was running 4.7.

I hope this gives some people something to look forward too.
    09-05-09 07:43 PM
    Im very happy with battery life with my Tour. Actually its been great since day 1. But if it will be even better with 5.0 then that is good news for many. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 07:51 PM
    Awesome news if that's true. Probably my only complaint of the tour

09-05-09 08:04 PM
    why not just use autostandby? I went to sleep last night after pulling the phone off the charger (I left my charging pod in the other room) for 7 hours. Woke up the next morning and the phone was still on 100% battery life.
    09-05-09 08:18 PM
    what is the difference in the OS? (features)
    09-05-09 11:40 PM
    This is only my second day with the phone and I'm not sure if this battery is going to last me a normal day. I took the phone off the charger at 2pm today and it's not 10pm and it says I only have 55% battery left. I usually charge my phone nightly so as long as it lasts throughout the day, that's fine with me. I don't really like the car chargers, they seem to charge so slow.
    09-06-09 12:01 AM
    1:29 am stil at 48%

09-06-09 01:33 AM
    I have had a similar increase in battery life with 5.0.0.191. Excited to see what the release build of 5.0 will do.

09-06-09 05:16 AM
    I'm just wondering if this is normal as yesterday was my first day with the phone and I needed to use it at night and only really charged it for about 6 hours before I used it (I assume they recommend 12 hours for the first time). So today I've had it off the charger for 14 hours as of right now (first full day with the phone) and it has 15% left. I did give it a pretty good work out, I installed a few apps, set up some settings, went on facebook, websites, MSN and have been BBM'ing alllll day. So that's 14 hours and my battery is almost done. Is that about normal? I'm a little worries I hurt battery life by not giving it a full 12 hour charge when I first got it.
    09-06-09 05:30 AM
    Is there such a thing as "overcharging" with the Tour? For example, I got the desktop charger. Can it basically stay in that all the time that I am not using it? Recall with my old (non BB phone), leaving it plugged in all the time had an effect on the longevity of the battery and would eventually cause the battery to not be able to hold the charge for long.
    09-06-09 06:16 AM
    I'm also seeing improvement with 5.0.0.191. I'm running a hybrid with 5.0.0.191 as the base. Since 3:36 yesterday my average discharge rate is 1.4%. I haven't done much with it...played Slacker for
    maybe a total of 30 minutes and a couple of BBMs, but I could lose 30% overmight before between 10:00 pm - 5:00 am, and doind nothing. Since 3:30 yesterday I'm only down 20%.

09-06-09 07:55 AM
    Is there such a thing as "overcharging" with the Tour? For example, I got the desktop charger. Can it basically stay in that all the time that I am not using it? Recall with my old (non BB phone), leaving it plugged in all the time had an effect on the longevity of the battery and would eventually cause the battery to not be able to hold the charge for long.
    No, you cannot overcharge. There is an automatic stop when your battery is at 100% and still plugged in.
    09-06-09 08:02 AM
    You cannot overcharge a blackberry unless something is malfunctioning. It cuts itself off when it charged fully.
    Its recommended by others here to let it run to 10-15% before charging it the first couple of times. Even if you don't do this it does seem that the battery gets stronger after a few charge cycles.
    Letting the battery go completely dead can harm the battery supposedly.

09-06-09 08:04 AM
    I really haven't had a problem with my battery life. I work from 4am - 1230pm and use the Pandora app for at least 3 of those hours a day. My battery holds on strong till about 9pm when I go to sleep. I charge it while I sleep, have the quickpull app set to go at 1am, and unplug it from the wall fully charged at around 2am. Also my bluetooth is on 24/7. Maybe I lucked out but my battery life is great.

09-06-09 08:58 AM
    No, you cannot overcharge. There is an automatic stop when your battery is at 100% and still plugged in.
    Yes and No, you CAN'T overcharge (generally) but you CAN overheat. Heat is what kills most batteries these days. Charging in a case, using it while plugged in, placed on a hot car dash to charge, and chepo or universal car chargers are the most common ways. Depending on the battery they are good for 500-5000 charge/discharge cycles (I don't know about the tour). You see this in laptops mostly since most people dont use their phone while plugged in or on a pillow/lap where it can't breathe. But if you leave it plugged in all day on a desktop charger while using it as a media player or charge it in a thick case you will shorten the battery life. Also it is suggested that you let the phone run almost dead about once a week and charge it uninterupted whenever possible (regardless if that from 80%-100 or 0%-100%).
    09-06-09 12:54 PM
    No you should never let your battery run dead, that's very bad advice. That will damage the battery and shorten its life.

I agree, thus the "Almost" dead. But regardless of the battery % when you plug it in you need to try to leave it until 100% for best long term life.
    09-06-09 01:19 PM
    I also noticed when I was running 5.0 how much longer the battery lasted.

I had to downgrade back to 4.7 though as I couldnt stand the small bugs it had yet.

you are right though about 5.0 being a lot better on the battery though! I can't wait till the offical comes out sometime
    09-06-09 01:34 PM
    Good to hear.

My battery life isn't horrible, but much less than my 8330.

09-06-09 03:06 PM
    I know the Tour's battery life has been the topic of much debate since its launch. Admit idly, the battery life on my tour was less than stellar for the first 3 or so days, but it did get considerably better over time. Being somewhat of a BB veteran, I wasn't too concerned because I knew that this would most likely be addressed with future OS updates.

For those of you still not happy with your Tour's battery life, I have some good news...

I've been running the new 5.0.0.191 OS for the past few days and the battery life has improved dramatically.

According to Meterberry, I took my Tour off the charger at 6:33am today. It is now 7:40pm and I'm at 70%. My discharge rate is at 2.3% for today. Now I haven't been keeping track, but I'm pretty sure my battery life has improved by around 30-40% from when I was running 4.7.

I hope this gives some people something to look forward too.
    There is also a "break in" period for a little while with the new device to get acclamated to your settings and apps. This could have a strong effect on battery life as well.
    09-06-09 03:08 PM
    I took my phone off the charger yesterday at 7:30am and by the time I went to bed at 2am, my Tour's battery was at 85%.

For the **** of it, I put in my second battery this morning (fully charged) at 6:45am and it is now 5:30pm and the battery shows 90% charge. I can get by for probably 3-4 days without charging my battery.
    09-06-09 04:27 PM
    I took my phone off the charger yesterday at 7:30am and by the time I went to bed at 2am, my Tour's battery was at 85%.

For the **** of it, I put in my second battery this morning (fully charged) at 6:45am and it is now 5:30pm and the battery shows 90% charge. I can get by for probably 3-4 days without charging my battery.
    This thread was geared towards the people that actually use their BB's.

Showing only a 1.8% / hour discharge today so far, and I was in an area with crappy service for most of the day.
    09-06-09 04:31 PM
    Yes and No, you CAN'T overcharge (generally) but you CAN overheat. Heat is what kills most batteries these days. Charging in a case, using it while plugged in, placed on a hot car dash to charge, and chepo or universal car chargers are the most common ways. Depending on the battery they are good for 500-5000 charge/discharge cycles (I don't know about the tour). You see this in laptops mostly since most people dont use their phone while plugged in or on a pillow/lap where it can't breathe. But if you leave it plugged in all day on a desktop charger while using it as a media player or charge it in a thick case you will shorten the battery life. Also it is suggested that you let the phone run almost dead about once a week and charge it uninterupted whenever possible (regardless if that from 80%-100 or 0%-100%).
    Ever try to run a navigator program for many hours without plugging it in?
    09-06-09 06:00 PM
    I just ordered the Richard solo 1800mAh backup battery !!!!
    09-06-09 06:23 PM
    Good to know the OS will improve it. I must say, after my first week of charging/killing my battery, it has already improved GREATLY, but could still be better. Either way what do I care, Im getting the 2600 Seidio soon.
    09-06-09 07:04 PM
    I really haven't had a problem with my battery life. I work from 4am - 1230pm and use the Pandora app for at least 3 of those hours a day. My battery holds on strong till about 9pm when I go to sleep. I charge it while I sleep, have the quickpull app set to go at 1am, and unplug it from the wall fully charged at around 2am. Also my bluetooth is on 24/7. Maybe I lucked out but my battery life is great.

which quick pull do you use? just that free one with the red logo?
    09-06-09 07:13 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD