My tour is 3 months old and with a full charge and not being used it will drain its battery in around 6 hrs. Is there a tool that can tell what may be using the battery even though I am not using the BB?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-09 04:32 PM
    are you in a low service area?
    do you have many apps running in the background while not in use?
    10-31-09 04:46 PM
    My battery drains very fast after the upgrade to 5.0...328 OS. Is it the old hardware? Have adjusted GPS to E911 only...helped a little.
    10-31-09 04:51 PM
    Also are you set to 1XEV instead of global?
    What 3rd party app have you installed if any?

10-31-09 04:55 PM
    Alt-esc will show you what is running. As noted above, being in a low-service area can quickly drain your battery. If you have it installed, BBMessenger is always running and can't be stopped. That plus low-service could be your problem. Also, the Tour just doesn't have as good a battery life as earlier BlackBerry devices. It has more memory, a faster processor, and a higher-res screen. All those nice features require power. There's been some discussion that an OS update might help battery life. I'm not optimistic.
    10-31-09 04:56 PM
    thanks for the responses.

-not in low service area
    -have not upgraded to newest OS
    -I do have BB Messenger
    -I have Score, Bloomberg, Drive Safely, yahoo messenger, pandora
    -I am not in a low service area

Not sure on the 1EXV setting. Where is this setting. I did have a lot of apps running in the backgound. I think it was score which was gettign updates every 4 mins. duh.
    10-31-09 05:06 PM
    I am on "gobal" network setting.
    10-31-09 05:09 PM
    Changing Global to 1XEV has been suggested as a way to help the phone roam less. That might help your battery life. It won't hurt.
    10-31-09 05:23 PM
    Changing Global to 1XEV has been suggested as a way to help the phone roam less. That might help your battery life. It won't hurt.
    Exactly, not a significant change, but every little bit helps.

10-31-09 05:38 PM
    I love the tour in general but I have to say the battery is a bit of a disapointment. I am running on fumes by mid afternoon. Has anyone had a good experience with an extended battery? I think that is my next purchase. Or god forbid a S2.

10-31-09 06:38 PM
    I dont understand, i have never come close to draining my battery in one day. I open it at 7am everyday and close it at 11pm every night. And still have at least 50% battery left. Thats with quite a bit of usage.

10-31-09 07:40 PM
    I love the tour in general but I have to say the battery is a bit of a disapointment. I am running on fumes by mid afternoon. Has anyone had a good experience with an extended battery? I think that is my next purchase. Or god forbid a S2.

I use the Seidio 2600 and its awesome.

10-31-09 08:15 PM
    I dont understand, i have never come close to draining my battery in one day. I open it at 7am everyday and close it at 11pm every night. And still have at least 50% battery left. Thats with quite a bit of usage.

Same here, I abuse mine all day and NEVER get less than 30-40% at the end of my day (11pm) and I wake up at 5-6am.

I also took TONS of useless **** off of my phone to help free up memory and get rid of **** I don't need/use. So, that helps me a bit too.
    10-31-09 09:03 PM
    I too am also running .328 on my Storm and have seen significant decline in how long my phone lasts. I am down to about 6 hours. I have meterberry and it says that the phone loses about 10-15% of life an hour. Before the OS upgrade it was a consistent 5-6%. I have removed almost every app-those that remain do not seem to be drainers- I have even removed Storm Slider. I wonder if its the berry meter-oh yeah the phone is set to global
    11-01-09 05:58 PM
    seidio 2600 + .61 os is the bomb........ultra battery life
    11-01-09 11:27 PM
    My battery life is terrible too. I have low battery around 5pm almost everyday and I'm not even on the phone to much.

11-01-09 11:48 PM
    From Global to 1XEV really helps

11-02-09 01:05 AM
    after i upgraded to .230 my battery sucked. so i wiped everything and reinstalled it.. now it's back to normal. try wiping and reinstalling OS
    11-02-09 03:10 AM
    Actually, there is definitely an abnormal 'battery drain' issue, I have no doubts. My first Tour's battery would completely drain overnight, even from like 60%-70% charge, and in the morning it would be at 2% w/ Radio turned off. So it did that maybe 3 times during my first week of ownership so I was just fed up, and had it replaced.

So, strangely it happened again on my first replacement (new unit) but only once over maybe 2 weeks, until I had this unit replaced for a buzzing earpiece even at low volume.

Finally, on my 3rd Tour now without battery issues [newer build, trackball perfect, tight battery door] about 2 months in, but JUST last night it did the full drain again! I was for sure at 75% charge before I set it down at night, and to my amazement this morning, it had completely drained down to 2%! This was over about 8 hours, no use.

I have medium to high radio reception here at home, and am always 1EXEV.

Only changes were: Removing Ubertwitter via Desktop Manager, and later on a battery pull. But that was still 6 hours or so before battery was at 75% charge, and then it drained overnight as explained above.

So do BlackBerry's or Tours go into a 'standby mode' automatically, as opposed to hitting the standby button on the top?

Anyone else have this problem??

Also, strangely enough, this battery drain thing has only happened overnight, which is the longest time my phone goes without use. Which means it may have something to do with some kind of 'standby' leak [over a certain number of hours perhaps, it seems] or issue otherwise.
    Last edited by pblakk; 12-31-09 at 06:54 PM.
    12-31-09 06:51 PM
    I'm running .230 with no hybrids & haven't noticed any difference in battery consumption between stock OS & .230. If I don't use the sync or charge it in the afternoon it'll be at about 10% by 8 pm. I usually take it off of the charger at 5:30 am. No heavy useage, maybe 10 - 15 minutes of talk time, 40 or 50 bbm & texts, 60 or 90 minutes of surfing. The reason I came to a blackberry was due to the device lasting for multiple days without charging. I was getting better battery life from my winmo phone. I don't see the battery advantage. The MAIN advantage of BB over winmo is there are no freezes, or I haven't had one since Sept 1 when I got my Tour. I guess I was expecting too much. I'm thinking about going with an extended battery also. Kind of got off of the subject.....sorry.

12-31-09 07:08 PM
    Went from Curve 8330 to Tour 3 days ago. Went from full charge to 50% in 6 hours and didn't make a single phone call. Only thing running is BB messenger, strong radio reception and on 1XEV. Sounds like I just have to get used to it.
    12-31-09 07:45 PM
    I'm sorry you all are having so much trouble. I'm a pretty heavy user and my stock OEM battery was pretty damn good, but I still chose to upgrade to the 2600 battery.

12-31-09 08:32 PM
    When i first upgraded to os 5.0.0.230 i noticed a huge drop in battery life also. My phone went from lasting 2-3 days easily with 4.7 to barely even a day with .230. After discovering hydrids, i tried them out and that brought me back to a more acceptable battery life. I have .230 now with 7.15 hybrid and get 2 days with lighter use and easily a full day with heavy use.
    12-31-09 09:38 PM
    My tour is 3 months old and with a full charge and not being used it will drain its battery in around 6 hrs. Is there a tool that can tell what may be using the battery even though I am not using the BB?

Probably your battery is defect. Or maybe you are in a poor coverage area. That means that your phone always search for signal and drain your battery.

At my home I can't get a good signal so when I stay all day long at home my battery dont keep the charge for the day. But at work everything is ok!

01-01-10 10:32 AM
    My batt life was pretty good but I downloaded the new bbm and ever since then batt life is sh@t. I have all the stock stuff running and berryweather in the background.

01-01-10 11:28 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD