i went to bb and the bb mobile guy had a tour. i asked if it had a gap on the battery door and he held it up and suddenly realized it did.

they had 3 more tours, so he pulled another one out...same problem....pulled the 2nd one out...same problem....BUT...the 3rd one was perfect.

we then took that cover and put it on the other phones and it solved the problem.

so i would think an aftermarket cover will also solve this problem...if one goes beyond the 30 day return period.
    07-13-09 02:56 PM
    i thought that was the issue. the back door feels really cheap.
    07-13-09 03:12 PM
    Other than the battery cover how is the phone overall? I have a Storm and luv it. I was just wondering.
    07-13-09 03:29 PM
    Other than the battery cover how is the phone overall? I have a Storm and luv it. I was just wondering.
    If you have had a bb before your storm and you still love the storm more than that, then stick with it. If not, I'm not really sure how I would go about it. The Tour is a VERY solid classic trackball bb, but with all the obvious upgrades that come with newer hardware etc.
    07-13-09 03:34 PM
    tmwatwfte

they always have been and always will be. that is why ohio st owns them.

as far as battery covers go...now that we (at least i) know the problem...anyone know how long it will be before after market covers start appearing?
    07-13-09 03:47 PM
    the problem is it will be hard to match up because of the way the top of the back of the phone is sectioned off.

i am ok with the way it came...but options would be good.
    07-13-09 03:51 PM
    I would love if an aftermarket company could take the ONE great idea from the Storms design and make a metal battery cover
    07-13-09 03:51 PM
    tmwatwfte

they always have been and always will be. that is why ohio st owns them.

as far as battery covers go...now that we (at least i) know the problem...anyone know how long it will be before after market covers start appearing?
    Again Google. LMFAO

Michigan leads, 57-42-6, you'll never OWN us. Last few years I will give you. But own? Please.
    07-13-09 03:52 PM
    the problem is it will be hard to match up because of the way the top of the back of the phone is sectioned off.

i am ok with the way it came...but options would be good.
    did you got to the actual blackberry store in Farmington Hills
    07-13-09 03:53 PM
    no i am in sc...and goblue...i am not an osu fan...just mi has sucked lately...that is ATRM
    07-13-09 03:59 PM
    no i am in sc...and goblue...i am not an osu fan...just mi has sucked lately...that is ATRM
    ohh were did u go i didn't understand from your first post
    07-13-09 04:01 PM
    I agree.. poor design on the cover. RIM could have done a little better job designing the battery cover to hold it down on the sides as well as middle.

People are going to be returning their phones (with good reason) just because of the flimsy battery cover. Better design could have totally prevented this!

As for liking the Tour.. I ditched my Storm and do not regret it at all. The storm was my first BB and I'm really liking being able to text/type on a REAL keyboard.

Last night I realized that I was quietly avoiding typing on the storm in chat programs, often sending short messages and going to the computer when friends get on yahoo. Last night i stayed on my phone and loved using it!

jamie
    07-13-09 04:22 PM
    I agree.. poor design on the cover. RIM could have done a little better job designing the battery cover to hold it down on the sides as well as middle.

People are going to be returning their phones (with good reason) just because of the flimsy battery cover. Better design could have totally prevented this!

As for liking the Tour.. I ditched my Storm and do not regret it at all. The storm was my first BB and I'm really liking being able to text/type on a REAL keyboard.

Last night I realized that I was quietly avoiding typing on the storm in chat programs, often sending short messages and going to the computer when friends get on yahoo. Last night i stayed on my phone and loved using it!

jamie
    lol

10 char
    07-13-09 04:23 PM
    I would love if an aftermarket company could take the ONE great idea from the Storms design and make a metal battery cover
    That might be problematic, since the Tour has the integrated docking/charging contacts near the battery door latch, while the Storm does not. Having a metal battery door in such close proximity to the charging contacts might make a mess of things when you put the Tour into the docking pod.
    07-13-09 04:42 PM
    +1

10 char
    07-13-09 04:46 PM
    i still don't understand how some tours are having this problem and others are not and were talking about a freaking battery cover wtf!!!! i really hope when i get mine its a good one
    07-13-09 04:49 PM
    i still don't understand how some tours are having this problem and others are not and were talking about a freaking battery cover wtf!!!! i really hope when i get mine its a good one
    me 2 knock on wood
    07-13-09 04:50 PM
    I wish I could get a leather door cover
    07-13-09 05:02 PM
    I'm at a vzw store right now and they're saying nothings wrong with it. I had to be persistent to get them to even check a few more.

When I got here, they were all huddled up and chatting. I'm getting pretty sick of having to ask twice or argue over what should be something simple.
    07-13-09 05:13 PM
    I'm at a vzw store right now and they're saying nothings wrong with it. I had to be persistent to get them to even check a few more.

When I got here, they were all huddled up and chatting. I'm getting pretty sick of having to ask twice or argue over what should be something simple.
    i agree
    07-13-09 05:15 PM
    i went to bb and the bb mobile guy had a tour. i asked if it had a gap on the battery door and he held it up and suddenly realized it did.

they had 3 more tours, so he pulled another one out...same problem....pulled the 2nd one out...same problem....BUT...the 3rd one was perfect.

we then took that cover and put it on the other phones and it solved the problem.

so i would think an aftermarket cover will also solve this problem...if one goes beyond the 30 day return period.
    I have to agree with you. The problem is with the design of the cover. I am not sure what the covers look like on other Tour devices (with or without problems) but you can see a fairly significant gap in the attached picture. The cover is loose because there is nothing that secures it into the notches at the bottom of the device. The cover does not come off because the top tabs and the latch hold it on. Clearly, the bottom of the cover should have tabs that fit into the bottom notches on the back of the Tour casing.
    07-13-09 10:11 PM
    After speaking w/ a manager, the lady took extra special care of me and I walked away quite pleased. In the end, I'm happy and she learned a lot. That's always good, right?

I mean...come on...this store actually had .75 Storms running? You wanna sell the Storm Verizon? Have someone update them all to .148, tweak the OS for speed, eliminate unnecessary apps, install quickpull and have it run every night, and snag some of the better apps like Poynt, Slacker, Google Maps, and especially Opera Mini/Bolt!

Given the level of service today, maybe I'll speak to the manager tomorrow and see if they'd like me to help out w/ that. Now that's paying it forward! Woo!

PS. It's not just the cover. I put the tight cover on my loose phone and wiggles mcgiggles came to town. They couldn't swap just the cover anyway, so it had to be a full phone replacement.
    07-13-09 10:22 PM
    it something that rim should have caught... its a pretty easy thing to notice seeing as the cover tacks up like 90% of the back unlike some other covers(8830). its also seems like 7/10 are affected by this.....
    07-14-09 01:24 AM
    sorry storm sucks. Maybe im just a storm hater from day one.
    07-14-09 02:09 AM
    did you got to the actual blackberry store in Farmington Hills
    the blackberry store didn't even get them until monday...
    07-14-09 02:13 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD