That's very odd that they won't allow BlackBerry at your company. Just out of curiosity, what type of field do you work in?

Anyway, someone else previously mentioned having your mail forwarded to the account that you have pushed to your BB. I think that might be your best bet.

Also, I assume your work phone is paid for by the company, so if it's possible why not get whatever they require you to have and get a Tour for personal use? Just an idea.
    I'll let the OP confirm, but it sounds like his company doesn't actually provide the phone; they provide the email push, but individuals have to bring in their own phone if they want work email on their phone.
    07-07-09 05:49 PM
    I'll let the OP confirm, but it sounds like his company doesn't actually provide the phone; they provide the email push, but individuals have to bring in their own phone if they want work email on their phone.
    That seems so unfair, to require that they receive the emails to their own phone yet can't pick and choose the device.

I guess we'll wait for confirmation but if that's the case, it really blows.
    07-07-09 05:51 PM
    That seems so unfair, to require that they receive the emails to their own phone yet can't pick and choose the device.

I guess we'll wait for confirmation but if that's the case, it really blows.
    Well, from what he's said, it also doesn't sound like it's required per se that employees have a mobile device for receiving work email. He's mentioned he has the option of just not getting work email on his phone; it's just far more convenient to have it.
    07-07-09 05:58 PM
    Well, from what he's said, it also doesn't sound like it's required per se that employees have a mobile device for receiving work email. He's mentioned he has the option of just not getting work email on his phone; it's just far more convenient to have it.
    Yeah I hear that. I get work emails to my phone all day. However I already had a BB and since the company uses them they took on my billing and it became a work/personal phone.

It just sucks that they have limitiations on what kinds of phone you can use.

But the email forwarding might work for him/her.
    07-07-09 06:01 PM
    Bubbatech hit the nail on the head...set it up through BIS. My company will only allow company issued BBs on the BES, and no doubt BES is awesome with calendar, contacts AND e-mail, plus folder support, and everything being the same everywhere.

But I got tired of carrying two devices. So I got a personal BB and set up my work e-mail through BIS. I have OWA access to my e-mail so once I figured out what was supposed to go where I go it working no problem. I just have to login to BIS once a month to update the password. Is it as sweet as the BES sync? No. But is it effective for just banging out short e-mails, checking for fires, putting out any fires found, and just responding to stuff when you have down time...Yes. You won't have the folder support so you won't be able to respond and then attach an e-mail stored in a folder (other than the in box I guess), but if you have a job that they understand you are responding from a mobile device and they are just looking for a response, then BIS should work.

What BIS OWA doesn't do, and I really don't understand why it can't since My Palm Treo could, is sync contacts and calendar, too. Even if I had to do a manual "push" to get that functionality, that would be fine. I did figure out that if I wait for appointments to get to my device they will show up in my calendar on my device. But this is not fool proof. If someone cancels the meeting or changes the time you can start having issues with your device calendar. For contacts I've just resigned myself to manually changing in both places. Thankfully I have pretty much any business associate I would want in my contacts and rarely have to add new ones.

Good luck with your decision.
    07-07-09 06:27 PM
    I would gather some facts on Blackberry's superior e-mail services. How secure they are and so on, then deliver this information to who ever it was that made the anti-blackberry decision and slap them in the face with it! Whoever it was clearly is blackberry ignorant.
    07-07-09 06:27 PM
    I would gather some facts on Blackberry's superior e-mail services. How secure they are and so on, then deliver this information to who ever it was that made the anti-blackberry decision and slap them in the face with it! Whoever it was clearly is blackberry ignorant.
    I would guess it's just a financial issue. I doubt it was a feature decision like that. If they have a corporate exchange server set up and admin'd they are probably just making the decision to simplify and cost cut. All of this is assumption though so I'll admit to being an *** due to it if I'm wrong.

To the OP,

I've been using WinMo for years on the HTC phones from VZW. It's not as elegant (IMO) or as fast but it does work and you can do it fine. Battery life is not great but doing ~35 emails, 10-12 SMS and a couple hours of phone use and maybe 45 minutes total of web use a day and I'm plugging it into the car on the way home after a 6am-5pm workday.

I'm moving to BB and BES now due to work policies so I'm in the exact opposite situation as you. If for some reason you can't forward or use OWA from your BB then you will still be able to get by with a WinMo phone. I hear the Touch Pro is decent and I've been very happy with my XV6800 for a year until I just wore the thing out but I am a pretty heavy user.

Best of luck and sorry to see you losing your BES access. I imagine you could pick up a 6800 cheap next week at least.
    07-07-09 06:52 PM
    How much is the BlackBerry service for a large company? I was under the impression it had to be a lot cheaper than the consumer service (which last I checked is $35-$50/month).

I also never understood how companies just give employees 3 phones each per year. What's that about?
    07-07-09 06:55 PM
    How much is the BlackBerry service for a large company? I was under the impression it had to be a lot cheaper than the consumer service (which last I checked is $35-$50/month).

I also never understood how companies just give employees 3 phones each per year. What's that about?
    I'll ask our site's IT admin but I doubt he'll know that kind of cost granularity off the top of his head. We're about 53k employees with roughly 7% using BES and rising. I'd be curious as well if any BES admins read this.
    07-07-09 07:10 PM
    If you MUST go Winmo, I would go with an HTC model, for example the Touch Pro.

Check out our sister site , WM Experts.....

http://www.wmexperts.com/
    07-07-09 07:15 PM
    If you MUST got Winmo, I would go with an HTC model, for example the Touch Pro.

Check out our sister site , WM Experts.....

http://www.wmexperts.com/
    That site is great. I've had a WinMo device for three years and now looking to get a BB. I wrote a bunch about the problems I've had with it in my first post here a few weeks ago... Not a terrible option for work email but sucks for everything else.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/fi...advice-256534/
    07-07-09 07:51 PM
    You get a free BES license with a blackberry purchase, and you can put up to 15 devices on the BES Express that is also free. Be one of the lucky 15 and you're all set pal

Also, I had a Touch Pro on VZW... and it sucked. I couldn't wait to get back to my 8830 that I have now.
    07-07-09 08:03 PM
    My workplace will only allow company issued devices on the network which has to be approved by your manager for one to be issued to you and yes, you are not allowed to have personal email accounts on it. At least the company choosen device is the Bold, I think they made a good choice there, the down side is if you leave the company, the device has to stay :-(
    07-07-09 08:16 PM
    You get a free BES license with a blackberry purchase, and you can put up to 15 devices on the BES Express that is also free. Be one of the lucky 15 and you're all set pal

how does this work??
    07-07-09 08:30 PM
    I have been a WinMo user for several years and loved it. Out of the box they are clumsy to use but just like we do with our BB's you can install different User Interfaces to make them just as easy to use as the iPhone, BB etc..
    I recently made the switch to BB because I wanted to do some real world testing instead of just playing around with a friends for a few minutes and thinking that I have experienced all the pros and cons of the device.
    I will tell you that when it comes to my personal email the BB is definitely better but when it come to my work email (MS Exchange without BES) I definitely miss my WinMo phone.
    I am using a product called AstraSync that works quite well but can be a little slow at times. However, I use Tasks in Outlook and I have not found a way to sync my work tasks to my BB. WinMo did Email, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks Flawlessly for myself and all my coworkers.

If RIM would just find a way to hook into OWA 2007 like they do with 2003 then I think my speed issues would be solved but I still wouldn't have my tasks synced. I am currently looking into a service called rememberthemilk to sync my tasks. Hopefully that can get me back to the functionality that I had with WinMo.

And for anyone that wants to know which device I prefer overall, I would say the BB right now because it is new but the bottom line is I had more fun on my WinMo Omnia but I am more effecient on the BB. And the BB's battery life is a nice plus too.
    09-25-09 10:31 AM
    Can you forward your work email to one of your personal accounts or would that make sense for you at all?
    09-25-09 11:39 AM
    Another vote here for finding another job. The amount of clumsiness and frustration using Windows Mobile or the iPhone for mission critical work emails will result in money being lost via the opportunity costs.

I've used BB's, iPhones, and Windows Mobile phones and here I am with BB still.

Of course, if you can have them pay for your line and get the emails forwarded to your BB like the other people are suggesting, that sounds like a reasonable work around.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-09 12:01 PM
    The finding another job bit was half a joke, by the way. ;]

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-09 12:06 PM
    Now thats funny, in your companies evaluation of email on mobile devices Blackberry didn't make the list. That really don't make any sencs!

You could ask your company if it would be ok that you could just have your work email forwarded to another address. Then you could just have it forward to your blackberry.net account or other account that gets pushed to your phone. If their concern is only with "approved" devices connecting to their mail server this way avoids that and still lets you get your mail.
    If you have a lot of users it makes perfect sense, at $75 per user for BES licensing fees. Windows Mobile devices will hook up to an Exchange server for no extra cost.
    09-25-09 12:35 PM
    I am really happy with my BB on BIS accessing my work e-mail through OWA. I am not a super heavy e-mail user on my BB, but I like to be able to see what going on if I'm not in the office. I am able to respond to something quickly and then move on.

It would be great to have my folders on my BB, but I just clean up my inbox when I get into the office in the AM. Not a huge deal. Plus I can delete e-mails off my BB and desktop inbox so my cleaning up is usually half way done when I get in in the AM.
    09-25-09 01:38 PM
    Forward your work email to an account which you can connect your BB to.
    09-25-09 01:46 PM
    Not sure if forwarding work email to another address would be appreciated by your employer (depending on the nature of the data in the messages.)

A more secure way is for you to use the Desktop Manager's Redirector service for those days when you are working from home but out running errands. You would have to leave your laptop on at home, with Outlook open and connected, and the Redirector service running. It would then forward all emails received in Outlook directly to your device.
    09-25-09 02:04 PM
    I have a storm and tour for fun and an 8830 for work. Thank god they pay for the entire cost of service for the 8330 ($10 bucks extra line fee and 49.99 data plan then a 17% discount on the $49). The restrictions on the work phone are so tight that I have to carry around 2 bb's most of the time. I can barely surf the net, no mms, etc. They also snuck an e-mail to us like 2 years ago that stated that they have the right to read any message that comes to the work bberry including sms. Given the sh*t I talk about co-workers, bosses and the general misery of my job it's well worth it to carry two phones.
    09-25-09 02:07 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD