So when I defected from Verizon back to Sprint in order to save almost $100 a month between my two lines I went from the Storm to the Palm Pre. This was the first non BB phone I have owned in over 8 yrs. I really do love the Pre operating system and the phone is a great phone in a sense, but the build quality is less then desirable and I am now going on my 4th one in 6 months.

Now to my questions. For everyone that has the BB Tour, how does this phone stack up? I'm not a huge "app" person and I don't really need the touch screen. I do use the browser a ton and can say it is much better then my Storm was. I email a TON for work. I have been out of the BB loop since right before the change over to 5.0 but was using some 5.0 leaked software (super buggy) and wasn't overly impressed (I know it was leaked and not a final build).

Soooooooo

How is 5.0 compared to the old 4. stuff?

Is the browser better?

How is it speed wise, any issues with lockups?

Does the lack of WiFi miff anyone that much? (don't really use it now exept when connecting to my computer to use my Pre as modem)

Overall would you suggest this phone to a die hard Blackberry user?

Thanks for anyone's input....................
    01-28-10 09:16 AM
    since you say you do a lot of e-mailing... no phone beats e-mailing as any Blackberry can do. Blackberry is the top of the line as far as E-mailing.

as far as browsing on the Internet, Blackberrys are not meant for that and really are slow compared to other make of phones. However Rim is suppose to come out with a new browser this summer that is suppose to compete with the Iphone. well see

the newer 5.0 OS thats out for the Tour (un-official for Verizon and Sprint yet) is pretty good. 5.0.419 is not as buggy as early builds were. I love it and could never go back to the 4.7OS

the Speed on the Tour in general is very impressive. Ranks just a hairline under that of the 9700 Bold which is clocked just slightly faster.

as far as WIFI, I dont need it either, but Tour 2 thats coming out in a few weeks will have WIFI a long with a trackpad instead of the trackball Tour 1 has.

I love my Tour and could never think about getting rid of it unless Blackberry came out with a even better phone sometime.
    Last edited by mjbesen310; 01-28-10 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling error
    01-28-10 09:37 AM
    since you say you do a lot of e-mailing... no phone beats e-mailing as for as any Blackberry can do. Blackberry is the top of the line as far as E-mailing.

as far as browsing on the Internet, Blackberrys are not meant for that and really are slow compared to other make of phones. However Rim is suppose to come out with a new browser this summer that is suppose to compete with the Iphone. well see

the newer 5.0 OS thats out for the Tour (un-official for Verizon and Sprint yet) is pretty good. 5.0.419 is not as buggy as early builds were. I love it and could never go back to the 4.7OS

the Speed on the Tour in general is very impressive. Ranks just a hairline under that of the 9700 Bold which is clocked just slightly faster.

as far as WIFI, I dont need it either, but Tour 2 thats coming out in a few weeks will have WIFI a long with a trackpad instead of the trackball Tour 1 has.

I love my Tour and could never think about getting rid of it unless Blackberry came out with a even better phone sometime.
    I pretty much second everything above. I've never loaded an un-official OS on my device, so I can't tell you what the leaked 5.0 OS's are like, but from what I hear the most recent one is fairly decent. The official 5.0 releases probably aren't all that far away.

I am happy with the speed and ease of use of the Tour. I think it's the perfect size, and the keyboard is nicely spaced, better than the new Bold 9700 IMO. I'm not overly upset about the lack of WiFi, it certainly doesn't ruin the 9630 for me. Sure, it'd be a nice option, but with the 3G network speed, it makes the WiFi less important to me, especially since I've got really good coverage everywhere I go.

Coming from an 8330 to the Tour, I couldn't be happier, I love my Tour!
    01-28-10 11:12 AM
    ^^I third this^^
    01-28-10 01:22 PM
    I wouldnt say Blackberry is tops in email...Dont get me wrong I love it, but there are other operating systems that do have a advantage, DEPENDING on what you need. My brother just got a pre for verizon and the gmail app and folder sync is heads above anything a blackberry can do...now it is a pull account and not a push, but again, user preference.
    01-28-10 03:09 PM
    I went from a Palm Treo 755 to a Blackberry Curve 8330, then last fall I upgraded to the Blackberry Tour and have recently upgraded the OS to 5.0.0.419. I am so pleased with this setup now, could never go back to a Curve, could never go back to a Palm. It is superior with email, the keyboard rocks, I find the internet faster on OS5. I can't find one thing I am unhappy with at this time. Love it!
    01-28-10 03:21 PM
    I wouldnt say Blackberry is tops in email...Dont get me wrong I love it, but there are other operating systems that do have a advantage, DEPENDING on what you need. My brother just got a pre for verizon and the gmail app and folder sync is heads above anything a blackberry can do...now it is a pull account and not a push, but again, user preference.
    I agree completely, besides the pull part. Most BB users that say email is heads and shoulders above everything else have probably been nothing but BB users for the last couple years. The Pre will give you instant push email from any email account and in most cases sync both ways. And the browser isn't even close in comparison. If your email is not work related (BES) or something along that line and your just a gmail, yahoo, etc user you the Pre wins. That being said if you use BBM then go for the tour.

My biggest gripe with the Pre was my fingers were too big to type accurately, but i have the same problem with the tour. I prefer the curve keyboard actually.
    01-28-10 04:25 PM
    This has been my phone progression.

iPhone, Curve 8310, Bold 9000, 8820, Droid, Tour

Tour is my favorite phone so far. Yes, even over the Bold 9000. The Tour is smaller and lighter.
    01-28-10 05:53 PM
    I am very happy with my Tour. It is on the current 4.7 OS and I won't do a leaked version. I am waiting for the official upgrade from Verizon. I have no issues. My email is great. I do use the browser and it is ok. I know it will be even better when RIM releases the new one this summer. But all in all I have no complaints. I don't need WIFI The 3G does fine for me. I have great coverage. I am very pleased with my BB Tour. A happy crackberry user............you would like The Tour
    01-28-10 11:59 PM
    The no wifi isnt really a big deal to me since I have 3G coverage everywhere close to me. The tour is a good phone, but if you can hold off then wait for the 9650. Overall I like the phone alot and the fact that it just works.
    01-29-10 12:36 AM
    Im just going to ditto everything up here. And say to you go for it. If your not into wifi then jump now. But if i had it to do all over again i would have waited for the tour 2 with trackpad and wifi and of course os 5
    01-29-10 04:00 AM
    The Tour fits the bill for me - don't need wifi. The only issue I have is the readability of the browser - it's seems awful small when compared to the curve...of course I've only had the Tour a short time and may not know all the tips and tricks yet...
    01-29-10 04:09 AM
    Well thanks everyone for the input. I wanna try to wait for the Tour 2 but I don't know how long that wait will be and I don't know how much longer I can stand this somewhat broken Pre. I talked to a buddy of mine who is a Sprint Carrier Support rep (direct for Sprint works with 3rd party stores) and he says probably March/April for the T2. We will see. Thanks again...............
    01-29-10 08:21 PM
    Switched back to the Tour today, now hopefully the T2 comes out within the next 30 days so I can switch to it without a hassle. So far loving the phone, just upgraded it to 5.0, and everything is working well. Thanks again for everyone's advice.
    02-01-10 05:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD