In the past 6 months, I've had to replace my Sprint BB Tour 3 times. The phone just seems extremely unreliable and while it works great for the first couple of weeks, eventually I found that I would have more signal problems and it would reboot or requiring rebooting multiple times a day.

I've read a lot of consumer reviews on the Sprint site and elsewhere and noticed there were numerous people who were also frustrated with this phone and have had it replaced several times.

I'm just wondering if perhaps there are tips or things I should avoid doing with this phone to perhaps make it more reliable? I've downloaded a few apps for it - Slacker Radio, eBay, Amazon, a couple Tetris-type games, AIM, ColorID, Facebook, YIM, SPrint TV, Sprint GPS & Pandora. Is that perhaps too much? I still had a substantial amount of space left and it didn't seem to interfere with the phone's functions before.

I often times will use multiple apps at once.. like I'll be listening to slacker but also searching something on the web. Does doing that put stress on the phone? SHould I only stick to 1 app at a time?

I clear the browser cache out regularly and always log out of and exit all apps. I usually turn the phone off at night but not fully (since I use it as my alarm). WHen I'm in the subway, since there's no signal, I usually turn off the connection because I heard that saves battery. Where I work, I tend to have terrible signal through the day so service is constantly dying on me and my apps freeze up or get errors due to poor connectivity. Could any of that be reasons the phone keeps crapping out?
    Last edited by atlus_addict; 09-05-10 at 01:25 PM.
    09-05-10 01:18 PM
    I sure don't believe it. Keep making them replace your device when they show those symptoms. It isn't functioning as you need it too... Might want to ask after this next one if they'll switch you to something else because that sort of lack of reliability is unacceptable...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-10 02:06 PM
    I did try however they keep telling me that I should try the refurbished one they're shipping out before considering getting an entirely different phone.
    09-05-10 02:58 PM
    At some point, you'll have to break that cycle. Polite but firm. "I'm sorry, but I've already tried (x number) of refurbs and I need to switch to something reliable, now."

09-05-10 03:09 PM
    I agree I went through two Storm 2 phones and three batteries and it wasn't working out for me until I made the change at no cost to the Bold 9650 and it has been working great ever since
    09-05-10 09:45 PM
    At some point, you'll have to break that cycle. Polite but firm. "I'm sorry, but I've already tried (x number) of refurbs and I need to switch to something reliable, now."

If the OP is with Sprint, they aren't gonna get far. I've tried many times, and each time no dice. Just ordered my 5th replacement this evening. Sprint...FAIL!
    09-16-10 12:59 AM
    Actually, if you continue to have connection problems with every replacement they send you, have you considered the fact that you may be in a poor reception area. If you are in a poor reception area, 20 replacements aren't going to change that and politely telling them you have had x replacements and want a different phone wont help. You might want to give serious consideration to changing carrier. I know Sprint is one of the cheaper carriers, but, there is a reason they are cheaper.
    09-16-10 04:06 AM
    Actually, if you continue to have connection problems with every replacement they send you, have you considered the fact that you may be in a poor reception area. If you are in a poor reception area, 20 replacements aren't going to change that and politely telling them you have had x replacements and want a different phone wont help. You might want to give serious consideration to changing carrier. I know Sprint is one of the cheaper carriers, but, there is a reason they are cheaper.
    well, in my situation, I am sure I am not in a poor reception area. I have 3 phones all on Sprint in my home, as well as an airrave. The other 2 phones have no kind of reception issues at ANY time. If you look through the forums, the tour seems to be known for signal issues. I don't understand why Sprint isn't addressing this with more of a customer service focus. I mean I understand 1 maybe 2 replacements, but 5 replacements in 14 months. Thats just rediculous!
    09-16-10 04:15 AM
    well, in my situation, I am sure I am not in a poor reception area. I have 3 phones all on Sprint in my home, as well as an airrave. The other 2 phones have no kind of reception issues at ANY time. If you look through the forums, the tour seems to be known for signal issues. I don't understand why Sprint isn't addressing this with more of a customer service focus. I mean I understand 1 maybe 2 replacements, but 5 replacements in 14 months. Thats just rediculous!
    I totally agree that 5 replacements in 14 months is ridiculous. I'm not doubting those who say they have had to get multiple replacements, but I do wonder what the common denominator is when some of us (myself included) have not needed a single replacement. I received my Tour in November and have not had any trackball issues, connection issues, reboot issues, etc, yet others have had to get multiple replacements. It does seem that Sprint subscribers have the highest number of returns/replacements.
    09-16-10 06:13 AM
    At least it's not a carrier issue. I finally got Verizon to replace my 4th tour since January with a Bold 9650.
    I even called RIM and they admitted the Tour didn't perform as expected and was replaced with the Bold.
    It wasn't easy getting the new phone and NOT being charged for it.
    Forget the stores, they don't have the ability to make decisions outside Sprint's/Verizon's guidlines.
    I was on Sprint for 12 years.

I had to start by filing a complaint with the FCC to recoupe some of the monthly fee I paid to use the Tour since I paid for a service but was given non-working/ reliable equipment which breached Verizon's portion of the contract to "provide me reliable service".
    Then I sent a letter to the main customer service office listed on the website. I had to state my intent to sue in local small claims court to get some of the money back for service I couldn't use and to let the unbiased 3rd party, the judge, decide if I should be released from my contract. I have w year 3 months remaining.
    I also said I would report my experience to my states Attorney General's office because it seemed like "deceptive business practice", as well as filing BBB complaints, and other online complaint forums.
    I also said I wouldn't go away until they resolved the issue.
    Now I have to say I wasn't asking for a new Droid X for free or free phone service for life. Make sure you have decided what you need the company to do to keep you a happy customer until your contract is up. For me it was GIVE ME A PHONE THAT WORKS-lol.
    And that is exactly what I got. The people I dealt with were incredibly helpful too.
    Unfortunately, companies in all industries will walk over us as long as we don't speak up.
    Good luck, IMO you have to get a different phone. Make sure you call, call, call because those calls are in your record and back-up your main issue-phone doesn't work properly.

09-16-10 08:06 AM
    I want to ad that the way I resolved my issue wasn't just me ranting and raving with no direction.
    I researched "how to get out of your cell phone contract" and kept track of all my time spent driving back and forth to the stores, lost calls, lost jobs from lost calls during interviews (one was with Verizon in corporate sales!).
    You need to get as high up as possible on the food chain at Sprint. I even drafted letters to everyone in public relations, consumer affairs, and legal affairs. Never had to send them luckily.
    An FCC complaint is the best first step. Be VERY professional and courteous (even if you would like to get mad). It shows you are reasonable and interested in solutions vs. someone who writes a complaint that seems more personal than professional.
    Sorry to be long winded. I spent 2 months researching and making calls. This is the best way to go in order to get action. Again good luck!!

09-16-10 08:19 AM
    to be competely honest, i am on sprint and used a tour for a year and a half. Yes i went thru replacements just like the OP and others, but i finally got a phone that works. Keep up and you should be able to get what you want. If you have the option go into the store and talk with them. They might be able to get more done for you.
    09-16-10 04:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD