There's gotta be a faster way to get a text started than 1)open SMS box, 2)open menu and scroll down to select "compose SMS" 3) select from contacts......
    If anyone knows a shortcut I'd appreciate it.

I wish typing "c" was compose SMS rather than mail as I text much more than I email
    12-07-09 09:42 AM
    google an app called qsms. its a free app that lets you compose an sms directly by pressing the q button. It only works if you have dial from homescreen turned off. i love the app as its a very quick shortcut to create an sms.
    12-07-09 10:00 AM
    set one of your convenience keys to sms.
    12-07-09 10:05 AM
    I have to second rryoung's suggestion on qsms! I have it set to the left convenience button and all I have to do is press it and text away! Nice little app.
    12-07-09 10:24 AM
    There is a Compose icon, select it, select the contact, done. But is it really that hard to create one........
    Last edited by supermario28; 12-07-09 at 11:22 AM.
    12-07-09 11:10 AM
    There's gotta be a faster way to get a text started than 1)open SMS box, 2)open menu and scroll down to select "compose SMS" 3) select from contacts......

I wish typing "c" was compose SMS rather than mail as I text much more than I email
    I agree with you on the "C" for Compose shortcut. I never send Emails but I do text a lot. It definitely sounds like QSMS is what you're looking for. It makes it so that "Q" is to SMS as "C" is to Email. But also, if you're really doing exactly what you described above, then I have a little tip for you:

Once you open the SMS and MMS app: Click "T" (if you're not already at the top) > Click enter > Select contact

I know that isn't really a shortcut, but it does allow you to avoid having to scroll down every time you write a message. It's definitely faster than what you said you do. If you already knew about this then disregard my post. I'm just going by what you said in the original post.

BTW, you can download QSMS by going to berrycoder.com on your BB browser.
    12-07-09 11:19 AM
    jkcb: WHOA, thanks for that little tip on pressing enter while in the SMS and MMS screen! While having qsms tied to my left convenience kinda eliminates the need for me, it's still nice to know these little shortcuts. I didn't know you could compose right from there like that!

supermario28: where is there a Compose icon on the Tour?
    12-07-09 11:28 AM
    supermario28: where is there a Compose icon on the Tour?
    It may be in your Applications folder, as it is a preloaded icon. And you may have to have your e-mail and SMS on Seperate in message options.
    12-07-09 12:11 PM
    Not that it's much shorter or anything but why not just type the contact name in the 'to' field of the new SMS instead of going through your list? That's what I do.
    12-07-09 12:21 PM
    with bbm 5 on .230 os you can just add sms contacts the same way as IM .
    12-07-09 12:28 PM
    i once had an app on my curve called isms, it brought up the compose sms screen when i pushed i on the keyboard, or open messages menu compose sms, and so on.
    12-07-09 01:23 PM
    I have new Curve 8530, and downloaded qsms and ran it and it doesn't work. Please help. Thanks!!!
    12-27-09 09:35 PM
    Quicklaunch could also be a solution for you. I have Quicklaunch set as my left side convenience key, and I have set SMS Coke (My Coke Rewards) as an example for you. You can set an SMS to any person/persons that you want. You can also set emails, phone call and websites as a shortcut within Quicklaunch. It's very handy.
    12-27-09 11:50 PM
    Quicklaunch could also be a solution for you. I have Quicklaunch set as my left side convenience key, and I have set SMS Coke (My Coke Rewards) as an example for you. You can set an SMS to any person/persons that you want. You can also set emails, phone call and websites as a shortcut within Quicklaunch. It's very handy.
    X2 on Quick Launch, it is one of the first Apps I bought and well worth it, especially since it's on sale here for $2.49 till Jan. 1. For the price of 2 Mt.dews, you can save yourself a lot of time using your BB.
    12-28-09 05:01 AM
    I 100% agree with the previous two posters about quicklaunch. It's very much worth the money, i HIGHLY suggest this application!
    12-28-09 05:23 AM
    I usually just use the Blackberry Menu key then press C twice for compose new SMS. The first compose is for a new email. It's usually pretty quick.
    12-28-09 05:25 AM
    I click c and I just click menu and select sms for the very first time I send a text, and after that pressing enter goes straight to sms for that contact, is this what you're looking for? Its not an sms shortcut for all contacts but it works if you text the same people repeatedly because you only have to select sms the first time

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-09 10:07 AM
    google an app called qsms. its a free app that lets you compose an sms directly by pressing the q button. It only works if you have dial from homescreen turned off. i love the app as its a very quick shortcut to create an sms.
    does this effect holding down the q button to switch from normal profile to vibrate?
    12-28-09 10:44 AM
    menu >> options >> screen/keyboard >> Right/Left Convenience Key Opens: Selct Compose ...

anytime you want to send a message you press one the buttons. it asks you to which contact, and you send. easist way i see and very fast!

sorry if this has already been posted.. writing this seems faster than reading thru lol
    12-28-09 11:22 AM
    The best app I have found for this is Quicktext. You press Q to access a custom sms address book to which you can assign shortcuts to each contact. For instance I can press "Q" "A" and begin typing a message to my son (whose shortcut is the A key). It cost about $6 but its worth it if you text a lot. There is also a free trial.

12-28-09 11:51 AM
    U can use an App called QuickLaunch. It is very handy w/shortcuts like this. Or I got a Theme called "Foppa 6" which is really cool & the $ is a quick-key to SMS, and the space bar is a quick-key for Quick Launch. But these quick keys only work from the Home Screen.

The Theme was free and I got it from the 9630 Theme threads.

Hope this helps.
    12-28-09 04:08 PM
    with bbm 5 on .230 os you can just add sms contacts the same way as IM .
    Great tip!! I didn't realise one could also add a sms contact in BBM and send a sms via BBM! This makes it more convenient for me to send sms, though I would need to be careful to note that those are sms and bbm messages that I am sending (I don't get unlimited sms jere). thanks!!

12-28-09 08:37 PM
    does this effect holding down the q button to switch from normal profile to vibrate?
    No, press and hold for vib option. Tap for Quick text.
    12-28-09 11:38 PM
    +2 for Quicklaunch-- great app!
    12-28-09 11:44 PM

Put your cursor on the bar at the top of the SMS field, hit return key (execute) on keyboard, pick contact, and go.
    12-28-09 11:50 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD