I personally don't care for the trackpad and while wifi is nice, it's not something that would have held me off getting the Tour. The Tour was the device that intro'd me into the world of BlackBerry and I am really satisfied with it. With this in mind I do feel a little peeved that RIM's changing the name of the Tour2 because it makes me feel as though RIM is discontinuing the Tour line...

I agree with you 100 percent!! I don't care for the trackpad either and the use of wifi on Sprints network IMO isn't needed since I get AWESOME service everywhere, yet why in the **** would RIM up and change the whole name of the device from THE TOUR to the BOLD?? Thats still a big *** question mark!!! All the blackberries that were produced after the Tour 9630 (i.e 8520, 8530, and the Bold 9700) ALL have the trackpad and wifi!! Why didn't RIM just incorporate that on the Tour in the first place!!!! All they had to was hault production of the Tour 9630 and it would have been the FIRST blackberry released with the trackpad and not the ENTERY level 8520!!! It kinda feels like RIM is slapping us Tour owners in the face with this honestly!!!Also since reading the front article I now believe RIM released the 5.0 OS for the Tour to in essence to cover their asses from blacklash over what they were planning with the release of what was suppose to be the TOUR 2 now another damn BOLD... WTF!!! LONG LIVE THE TOUR!!!!!
    02-22-10 05:10 PM
    It's a phone
    02-22-10 05:14 PM
    It can't be a BOLD if it doesn't have the fake leather battery cover. I'm slightly pissed that it doesn't look more like the 9700.
    i think one of the reasons why the Phone is pushed back until May now is to make changes to the new "Bold" like higher processor, bigger batter like the bold, and maybe a new battery door...

I mean why else would the phone be pushed back 3 more months?..
    02-22-10 05:16 PM
    It's a phone
    Are you sure? I could have sworn we were discussing pineapple flavored popsicles.
    02-22-10 05:16 PM
    i think one of the reasons why the Phone is pushed back until May now is to make changes to the new "Bold" like higher processor, bigger batter like the bold, and maybe a new battery door...

I mean why else would the phone be pushed back 3 more months?..
    If so, then I have no problem with the name change. Make it BOLD-er!
    02-22-10 05:33 PM
    if they aren't going to change the body design at all from the original tour, i.e. they just release what we have seen now of the Tour2 as a Bold, I think that's incredibly half-assed and i would be pissed as a Tour owner, and am pissed as a Bold owner.
    02-22-10 05:38 PM
    Your post makes zero sense. Who cares what the phone is called or whether or not it's an advancement of one particular model or even if it's called "The No Name Blackberry." It's a PHONE... period...you either like the features or you don't.

As for feeling you got kicked, welcome to the world of technology. It's always been that way and always will be. Back in the late 70's (I think) I bought my son the first Atari game console. It was $200, a lot back in those days. It wasn't but six months later when the price was $100 and they had advanced versions, competition, etc. That's called progress. Don't blame the manufacturer, they design 'em and put 'em out. I bought the first Storm 1 on release day. One year later, the S2 comes out with features I wished I had on the S1. Complain about it? Nope, just went out and bought it and sold the S1. No biggie. Stop whining and realize that whatever you by, no matter what, it's going to be beat and better in the not-so-distant future.

Maybe someone can explain this to me and show me the light but for some reason I got really annoyed when I read that front page article.

For the lack of a better phrase, isn't RIM basically introducing the already available Bold to Verizon so they can cover up their ****** child that which is the original Tour?

I don't know what it is, but losing the identity of the Tour line just keeps reminding me of how RIM really screwed over Tour customers. I remember buying this phone and less than 2 months later, phones with trackpads and curves with wifi's were coming out and it just made me wonder why the **** they couldn't have incorporated any or all of those features that are pretty damn useful to have.
    02-22-10 05:42 PM
    I think one question that has gotten lost in the whole "I hate this" "I love this" issue (I personally like the name change ) but what happens to the current 9630 owners on VZW looking for 5.0? I bet you it's safe to say that if you're a current Verizon 9630 owner and the Tour name dies that we will probably never see 5.0 on this device other than leaks and other carriers OS i.e. Sprints' .484

Just a thought.....
    02-22-10 05:43 PM
    What I DO have a problem with, however, is the name change.
    ya... we should start a revolution.
    ill bet you an EXTREMELY high percentage of BB owners that have a tour, dont give 2 craps about its name... nor will they even know that an UPDATE to their phone exists.

I can't for the life of me figure out why a name change has people 'insulted'... seriously, there are real problems that occur in your life... heartattack, death, divorce... not the name of a phone.

get some perspective on things.
    02-22-10 05:49 PM
    When I got the Tour back in August, I said," this is it". After following forum discusions daily about it, I am still convinced that the Tour remains by far the best that RIM has released yet. Name change or not, it remains one solid master piece.It may surpass new upcoming Berries. Just watch it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-10 05:57 PM
    This is bs they give us the spruce goose.
    02-22-10 05:58 PM
    When I got the Tour back in August, I said," this is it". After following forum discusions daily about it, I am still convinced that the Tour remains by far the best that RIM has released yet. Name change or not, it remains one solid master piece.It may surpass new upcoming Berries. Just watch it.

The Tour is also one of the best Blackberrys I have owned so far too... but time to move on it seems like from that name
    02-22-10 05:59 PM
    And it leaves nothing to differentiate between carriers. Average consumer hears BOLD...the average person wouldn't know the difference, or that one is different than the other. Bad name choice, too many models spread across carriers. Literally a dumb thing.

Carriers, to me want phones that stand out from other carriers...names do that. Makes a consumer look at specs, instead of the same name from carrier to carrier.

Even though it's JUST a phone...it really isn't. I purchased the tour because of how I use my PHONE, and with the thought of software updates with new phones would have been continuing. I use a 5.0 hybrid now, but what about later when new advances come out in OS'? Will they keep up those up on the Tours? probably not. Even though its JUST a PHONE, I would like to keep up to date on SOFTWARE updates like older computers even do through constant XP updates even when Vista and Windows 7 were released.

We'll just have to see that's all.
    02-22-10 06:04 PM
    once again, I'm disagreeing with their intent, not with their actual hardware. Yea, the bold is pretty much identical to the rumored Tour 2, I don't have an issue with that. I can't understand why RIM thinks they're entitled to shut up what the public thinks about their Tour release on their own terms without even giving people the opportunity to do so, does that make sense? In a way they're just bullying us around and it's unfortunate that we can't really do anything about it, so I'm just voicing my distaste.

I'm not expecting them to apologize or anything, I'm happy with my original Tour but they're testing us just because they know we can't do ****, and that's damn frustrating.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOL. The beauty of free speech is just this. RIM doesnt give a damn about anyone but their shareholders, and CEO. They are doing what is better for the company. This new phone will reflect better with the Bold line. Leave it be and quit complaining.
    02-22-10 06:04 PM
    ya... we should start a revolution.
    ill bet you an EXTREMELY high percentage of BB owners that have a tour, dont give 2 craps about its name... nor will they even know that an UPDATE to their phone exists.

I can't for the life of me figure out why a name change has people 'insulted'... seriously, there are real problems that occur in your life... heartattack, death, divorce... not the name of a phone.

get some perspective on things.
    Perspective? First of all re-read my entire post instead of quoting the first line. Why are you bringing up medical and family issues? Come back to earth dude. We are discussing a phone here. OBVIOUSLY there are bigger problems in life, everyone knows that.
    02-22-10 06:20 PM
    I personally don't care for the trackpad and while wifi is nice, it's not something that would have held me off getting the Tour. The Tour was the device that intro'd me into the world of BlackBerry and I am really satisfied with it. With this in mind I do feel a little peeved that RIM's changing the name of the Tour2 because it makes me feel as though RIM is discontinuing the Tour line...
    I don't know about the trackpad, never used one before and also don't care about the wifi. I think my tour is good BB but I'm with you that our tour will become the one and only and lost in the shuffle.
    02-22-10 06:31 PM
    Perspective? First of all re-read my entire post instead of quoting the first line. Why are you bringing up medical and family issues? Come back to earth dude. We are discussing a phone here. OBVIOUSLY there are bigger problems in life, everyone knows that.
    I read your post quite thoroughly...
    Do you reeeeally think RIM is 'tricking' you?
    And all of these other people offended by the name change....
    I stand by what I said... People need to get a firm perspective on what's really important and worth complaining about... the NAME of a phone is not one of them.
    RIM is worried about their bottom line, not how 2% of their buyer-base perceives a future name change on their device.
    02-22-10 06:46 PM
    It's called Branding and IMO, its a good move. If you've ever tried explaining BB models to the average user, you can see their eyes gloss over. There's too many models that are quite similar and you have to be a BB geek to know most of it. Instead of having two nearly identical phones with different names causing confusion, this will help the average user.

Want the top of the line BB? Get the BOLD, available at all the major cellphone companies. It doesn't need to be renamed based on the radio chipset, that is noted by the carrier branding also on the device. They didn't change the name of the Curve when it has several different configs (GSM, CDMA, Wifi, etc). They need to solidify a series of devices and make them as standard as possible across carriers.
    02-22-10 06:47 PM
    I read your post quite thoroughly...
    Do you reeeeally think RIM is 'tricking' you?
    And all of these other people offended by the name change....
    I stand by what I said... People need to get a firm perspective on what's really important and worth complaining about... the NAME of a phone is not one of them.
    RIM is worried about their bottom line, not how 2% of their buyer-base perceives a future name change on their device.
    Uhmm, yes that's exactly what they're trying to do. By changing the name RIM expects current Tour owners to be less upset about them releasing a Tour 2 so soon after release. It's a psychological maneuver aimed to lower the consumer's anger towards the situation. Kevin basically wrote that on the front page as well:
    Why is RIM going to do this? To keep people from getting pi$$ed off. Look, the Tour 9650 is what the original Tour should have been.
    Calling it a trick is just a more straightforward way of putting it.
    02-22-10 06:53 PM
    really? a trick?
    did RIM not JUST release the bold 9700?
    that's what I thought...
    So instead of 'tricking' tour users theyre going to 'trick' bold users?

Am I missing something?
    02-22-10 07:01 PM
    really? a trick?
    did RIM not JUST release the bold 9700?
    that's what I thought...
    So instead of 'tricking' tour users theyre going to 'trick' bold users?

Am I missing something?
    Yes. The 9700 is not on Verizon.
    02-22-10 07:05 PM
    I just hope they add the typical Bold leather door to it. That's one feature I really enjoy about the Bold brand which I would LOVE to have available on Verizon.
    02-22-10 07:15 PM
    Really folks. It's a name. Does it really matter or affect your using the device?
    02-22-10 07:24 PM
    Really folks. It's a name. Does it really matter or affect your using the device?
    Can you be ever more clueless?

I can't believe half of the responses here on this thread regarding the OP's concerns..

This is basically as Kevin already stated on the front page a way for RIM to lessen the complaints to RIM.. smart tactic by RIM, but it doesn't work for the "smarter" people.

Some of you may not care about the wi-fi or the trackpad, but some people do like myself.
    Especially the trackpad since I've experienced too many trackball issues with the Curve and Tour with debris and junk getting into the trackball.
    Last edited by Namji; 02-22-10 at 07:41 PM.
    02-22-10 07:39 PM
    This is the straw...I am waiting for the right android os phone to roll out on vzw (incredible, N1) and I am out. Imo I got screwed two times once with the S1 and second with the tour. I mean really the great rim can't see 6 months in the future with these devices. Do not give me the technology changed rapidly line either neither the s2 or the t2 are technological master pieces that have features that were not developed six months prior to there release. Good by RIM hello google.
    P.s. App world is a joke and will always be....and the new browser will still be a P.O.S!

02-22-10 07:46 PM
115 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD