Today I went to a Verizon Wireless store at 10am to check out one of the demo units of the Tour. I wanted to see if I could type faster on it vs my Storm.

The only reason I had contemplated switching from my Storm is because I thought I would be able to type faster on the Tour because it has a physical keyboard.

When I tried out the Tour I noticed that the keys are tiny! They are basically the same size as the portrait mode keyboard on my Storm! I did a few test messages on it and found that I typed faster on the Storm because of the large landscape QWERTY keyboard.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone was in the same boat as me?
    07-12-09 10:00 PM
    You really can't use a device for two seconds and have a real indication of how you'll type with it in the future. Keyboards, no matter how good, take time to get used to. I hated my Curve keyboard for a few days but I'm quite good with it now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 10:03 PM
    as a VZW rep, i've been pro storm since day one... I grew to like my storm and now with the update my storm works great. With that said, selling the tour I just get the feeling that its basically a storm with physical keyboard. I don't mean its buggy but I mean the OS is basically the same and both phones basically have identical features... the only thing separating the two is the large touch screen of the storm... Which for some is a positive and some a negative... I could see a business professional preferring the tour over the storm, but for a college aged kid interested more in apps like facebook, the storm seems like the one.

One thing I wouldn't have to worry about with the tour is typing the wrong letters as i may do sometimes with the storm.
    07-12-09 10:05 PM
    You have to get used to it but when you do its so much faster. I hated typing on my storm but I love typing on the tour.

07-12-09 10:06 PM
    Most people don't like the not-so-good hardware of the Storm, and the unusually buggy software.

07-12-09 10:07 PM
    I can still type much faster and more precisely on my 8330, but I'm starting to get used to the Tour.....and it's only day one.
    I LOVE THIS PHONE!
    07-12-09 10:11 PM
    i also went to the verizon store this morning to check out the phone... i noticed that the keyboard is very nice and i actually like it better than my curve
    07-12-09 10:16 PM
    Im kinda of waiting on the storm2 to come out and then make my decision on which one....If I can hold out to Sept....
    07-12-09 10:17 PM
    Let me give you the skinny man. It's a great device. I am getting better at typing on it as well.

07-12-09 10:17 PM
    I think its one of the easiest keyboards to type on a phone to date. It may take some practive at first but that's all.

07-12-09 10:24 PM
    Saying the Tour is pretty much a Storm+keyboard is way off. The OS may look the same but ... that's it. The tour is insanely faster than the Storm. Definitely helps that I am running with over 110MB of free memory, opposed to the 30-35Mb I would have on my Storm
    07-12-09 10:29 PM
    as a VZW rep, i've been pro storm since day one... I grew to like my storm and now with the update my storm works great. With that said, selling the tour I just get the feeling that its basically a storm with physical keyboard. I don't mean its buggy but I mean the OS is basically the same and both phones basically have identical features... the only thing separating the two is the large touch screen of the storm... Which for some is a positive and some a negative... I could see a business professional preferring the tour over the storm, but for a college aged kid interested more in apps like facebook, the storm seems like the one.

One thing I wouldn't have to worry about with the tour is typing the wrong letters as i may do sometimes with the storm.
    Don't forgot the tour has double the app memory of the storm....which is huge for me. Won't be any crazy OS lags from mem leaks.
    07-12-09 10:30 PM
    I actualy loved the full screen keyboard on the storm,

Just me though, lots of people couldnt stand it.
    07-12-09 10:32 PM
    I currently have the 8830. I was somewhat disappointed by the Tour today. It feels cheaper than the 8830 and I can't see any reason to upgrade. I would be interested if the call quality is better but of course you really can't try that out. I think RIM is just cranking out **..hum.. devices right now. The Tour really doesn't offer anything most of the newer BB's don't already have. Looks like it will be another year for some real innovation. I use the device primarily for business so maybe I am no longer the target customer here.
    07-12-09 10:40 PM
    after seeing how handy SKYPE is on my friends IPHONE, I am holding out for wifi....plus I asked myself, browser or email....and since this is the info age, the big screen wins...
    07-12-09 10:51 PM
    Im kinda of waiting on the storm2 to come out and then make my decision on which one....If I can hold out to Sept....
    same thing going on here... i really love the touchscreen, but if the storm 2 isnt suretype, then i probably wont be getting it. i really do love the clicking.
    07-12-09 11:24 PM
    I'm looking at this and the Pre. kind of shying from the Pre cause it's a first gen. But I like the functionality of my Centro

07-12-09 11:43 PM
    Wow, I'm so slow with the storm

07-12-09 11:58 PM
    When I tried out the Tour I noticed that the keys are tiny! They are basically the same size as the portrait mode keyboard on my Storm!
    You havent seen tiny until you've seen the Pre Keyboard.
    07-13-09 12:00 AM
    I'm waiting to see just how well this phone holds up, what apps work, and more importantly- which one's don't work. Verizon never really seems to get any device that's cutting edge or truly exciting in any way. They tend to get the "** hum" devices (i.e. no iPhone, Bold, etc.)

Hopefully this will be the turning point. Only time will tell...
    07-13-09 12:11 AM
    Don't forgot the tour has double the app memory of the storm....which is huge for me. Won't be any crazy OS lags from mem leaks.
    Very true, something I forgot about.
    07-13-09 12:14 AM
    When I tried out the Tour I noticed that the keys are tiny! They are basically the same size as the portrait mode keyboard on my Storm! I did a few test messages on it and found that I typed faster on the Storm because of the large landscape QWERTY keyboard.

It's hard to know how good or bad is a device with a 5 minutes store trial. That's why they give you 30 days to figure out if it works for you.
    07-13-09 12:17 AM
    Im sure you were not able to type as fast on your storm when you first got it so why do you expect the same with the tour. Like someone posted earlier, I hated the Curve keyboard at first untill about a week after the use they I became really fast and accurate. You sacrifice keyboard size so that you will have a smaller phone.
    07-13-09 12:19 AM
    Today I went to a Verizon Wireless store at 10am to check out one of the demo units of the Tour. I wanted to see if I could type faster on it vs my Storm.

The only reason I had contemplated switching from my Storm is because I thought I would be able to type faster on the Tour because it has a physical keyboard.

I didn't read all the responses because there's good **** on TV. But I can tell you that I have TINY TINY TINY girl hands (my wedding ring is a size 3) and even *I* thought the Tour keyboard seemed small.

But I've been playing with my new Tour all day and I LOVE IT. Like, REALLY love it, it's even better than my 8830 and I loved that keyboard (not a fan of the 8330, though).

My husband, on the other hand, loves his Storm and can't deal with the keyboard on the Tour. He claims it's the size of the keys. And honestly, I can't disagree.

At the end of the day, that's why RIM creates so many options. *shrug* There's something awesome for everyone.

Okay, I have to go. Entourage is on.
    07-13-09 12:28 AM
    I find typing on it easier then the storm but I am partial to keyboards

07-13-09 12:30 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD