Ok, so I went to the T-Mobile store the other day and checked out the new Bold 9700 and that phone is hella sexy.

Although the Tour is supposed to be a top quality BlackBerry the 9700 is levels above it in build quality. However my major gripe is the fact that the Keyboard is actually BIGGER on the 9700 than the Tour. The keys are slightly wider and some will say it cant make that big of a difference but just typing on it for a few minutes you will notice the difference in having that extra fraction of space.

So is anyone else considering getting somewhat worse coverage for an overall better phone? ( I would get it on AT&T not T-Mobile)
    11-22-09 09:53 PM
    Are you sure you didn't pick up a 9000?

The 9700 device is narrower than the 9630 and the keyboard is smaller as a result. I don't think there is any disputing this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-09 09:57 PM

The 9700 device is narrower than the 9630 and the keyboard is smaller as a result. I don't think there is any disputing this.

T-Mobile doesnt sell the 9000 and the 9000 doesnt have a trackpad.

The Keyboard is bigger because of the bezel's on the sides are different. on the 9700 have narrower bezels and have that downward cut at the end. The Place where the downward cut is is where the Tour's Bezel actually begins

you can see the difference here:

11-22-09 10:22 PM

Tmobile does not have the bold 9000 though. I have actually thought about the 9700 myself because of the wifi. If i lived in an area with nice tmobile coverage i think i would switch to tmobile for the phone. the only thing is i am on a family shared plan with sprint that allows for unlimited calling to cell phones which is really nice.

Though, tmobile does have the unlimited plan for $80.
    11-22-09 10:26 PM
    If I were to ever switch from Verizon (which won't happen), I'd grab an iphone without hesitation.

11-23-09 01:20 AM

Yes the OP is right. I held my Tour face-to-face against a 9700 in the store and looked down from the top. I was surprised to see the 9700's keyboard is actually wider by a small margin. Crazy what a difference a little bezel can make!

11-23-09 04:06 AM
    Looking at the pic, the keyboard width would appear to be more of an optical illusion. Depending on the angle and glare one side of each looks bigger than the other. I would better a measurement of the keys and total witdh would show an almost exact measurement. But the overall width of the device may affect how the keys feel. The Bold 9700 is 109mm wide while the Tour is only 112mm. In the end you get what works best for you. If one feels more comfortable than the other then you get it, provided service from the carrier is not that much different. What do you really need more?? Form or coverage?
    Last edited by barbwyr; 11-23-09 at 05:26 PM.
    11-23-09 04:47 AM
    The Bold 9700 is 112mm wide while the Tour is only 109mm.
    The Tour is 112mm and the Bold 109mm.

Even though the keyboard may be wider , the overall size of th Bold i find a bit too small. The Tour is more confortable while holding it with both hands while typing, however, i dont see much of a problem going from the Tour to Bold. Those going from 9000 to 9700 might find it harder to get used to it.

11-23-09 05:50 AM
    I tried out a Bold 9700 at AT&T last night just for kicks, and I can say without a doubt that the keyboard is easier to use then my Tour's keyboard. It's just a tad bigger but the improvement it makes in typing is rather significant. Still, the Tour 2 with trackpad and WiFi will be every bit as good as the 9700. I can't see leaving Verizon or Sprint to get a 9700 when the new Tour will be just as good or even better with 2GB of internal storage.

11-23-09 08:49 AM
    I tried out a Bold 9700 at AT&T last night just for kicks, and I can say without a doubt that the keyboard is easier to use then my Tour's keyboard. It's just a tad bigger but the improvement it makes in typing is rather significant. Still, the Tour 2 with trackpad and WiFi will be every bit as good as the 9700. I can't see leaving Verizon or Sprint to get a 9700 when the new Tour will be just as good or even better with 2GB of internal storage.

Yea the insides will be better however the Keyboard's will remain the same.
    11-23-09 11:12 AM
    I have sprint and I love both my service and my phone. The only thing I've considered is upgrading to the Essex when it comes out although I'm not even sure if that's worth it seeing as how I have no issues with my track ball so no need for track pad and my 3g coverage is phenominal thus no real need for wifi. So as of right now I'm sticking with my Tour.

11-23-09 11:23 AM
    I wouldn't switch to AT&T even if they were offering a platinum-coated 9700 for free...
    11-23-09 01:04 PM
    I switch from a 9000 att to vz, i couldn't take their service. I am not going back.
    11-23-09 01:37 PM
    i just left AT&T and went back to Sprint for the Tour..sold my iPhone on ebay..
    11-23-09 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD