Why not just use MMS??? No limit there and can send to multiple people... Why even spend the 5 bucks?
    08-10-09 06:19 PM
    It's hilarious how Ppl post w/o reading the thread, thus causing them to A) repeat what has already been said, B) answer a dead question... smh

1... Again) everyone does not have MMS to RECEIVE MMS messages, so sending a MMS message is not feasible

2.) Everyone does not have Email on their phone, but they have Text messaging. The Majority of my friends use Txt Messaging Religiously, thus I use txt messaging

3.) I'm using Beyond 160 (trial) now but I haven't bought it yet bc:
    a) BBM 5.0 (Official w/OS 5.0) is suppose to do this (as stated before)
    b) I wish it would integrate seamlessly with native txt app,s o whenever I start a message, it pops open

just my 2 cents
    08-10-09 06:36 PM
    that's not true though, my last few cdma phones (winmo) they all automatically split up texts messages for me
    It is a CDMA limitation. The client can bypass it by chaining the messages together, but that's dependent on the client.

GSM clients don't have to bypass it because the problem isn't there.

You also don't really want to use MMS all the time because MMS delivery is WAY, WAY more unreliable...
    08-10-09 06:54 PM
    people get along fine with twitter and that's only 140 characters so why can't people send out multiple 160 character texts? save the $5 . . . or develop LMS to replace SMS (ooops that's called e-mail)
    08-11-09 09:39 AM
    can't go wrong with beyond 160. worth the money.
    08-22-09 08:54 AM
    If Beyond 160 allows you to text more than 160....then will you be able to receive longer text messages as well? If my child who is on Verizon wants to send a text more than 160 will they be able to do it or will they get that stupid VZW text saying it is not supported? That is very aggravating to people trying to send longer texts as well. Not everyone can use email or have phones that are email capable. Not everyone will know to use MMS if sending a long text to a Blackberry user. And to have to text the person saying please reply to me via MMS or break up your texts is ridiculous. I think this is a real problem and a deal breaker for many people who are thinking about purchasing a Blackberry on the Verizon network and haven't done so yet. I keep waiting for each new Blackberry to come out in hopes that this issue will be addressed and fixed. I was hoping the Storm would allow it and now the Tour--but not so far. I know of more than 10 people right off the top of my head who have not purchased a Blackberry for this reason. I hope something will change and soon so there will be the perfect phone/PDA out there that will do everything to fit the needs of everyone.
    08-30-09 11:37 AM
    I think it's time for SMS 101:

1. This is called SMS for "short" messaging service.

2. Short = 160 characters or less and is a NETWORK (not a phone) limitation. By NETWORK this means either CDMA or GSM.

3. No carrier permits sending of an SMS longer than 160 characters (correct me if I'm a little off on this one, but I don't think so.)

4. Some phones/devices will let you type an SMS that is longer than 160 characters and will then send that message (when you click "send") as multiple messages (each with a maximum of 160 characters). In other words, the PHONE breaks your message up for you so that the NETWORK likes it.

5. The Blackberry doesn't do this (so far) without Beyond160 (amazing use of $5!).

6. Beyond160 runs on your phone, not the network. Verizon will let you receive as many 160 character messages that are sent to you, so long as they are no more than 160 characters.

Now, really... if there are 10 people out there in the world who would not buy a Blackberry for all of its other functionalities because they cannot send a 3,000 character SMS messages... well, that's their loss. Until RIM permits automatic splitting of messages (like just about every other phone out there these days), then Beyond160 is your solution. I'm sure those 10 people are just as happy on their Jitterbugs anyhow, and the BB screen text would be way too small for them.
    08-30-09 05:51 PM
    One thing you may want to consider is upgrading to the new leaked OS with threaded SMS. It's free and if you have patience to handle the beta, you can save yourself $5. You can use SMS just like you could use BBM and once you reach the 160 character limit, just hit enter send the first message and continue.. it works so well, I love it. No more having to retype a new message or anything like that, just hit enter and continue.

If you use SMS more than you use BBM 5.0, def try the upgrade.
    08-31-09 10:50 AM
    One thing you may want to consider is upgrading to the new leaked OS with threaded SMS. It's free and if you have patience to handle the beta, you can save yourself $5. You can use SMS just like you could use BBM and once you reach the 160 character limit, just hit enter send the first message and continue.. it works so well, I love it. No more having to retype a new message or anything like that, just hit enter and continue.

If you use SMS more than you use BBM 5.0, def try the upgrade.
    This is reel cool. I am currently on 4.7 os. Is this coming w/the official 5.0 upgrade? I was debating about purchasing Beyond 160 as it was on sale last week for 1/2 price. I didn't purchase it in hopes that BB/RIM would get the picuture and jump on the 160+ bandwagon.
    08-31-09 01:03 PM
    why pay 5 dollars when you can just send it as an mms....
    08-31-09 01:11 PM
    Wow. people really don't read the posts.

MMS will work in many cases, but some service providers will not allow a text only MMS and some people just do not have the MMS option.

Beyond 160 does not send it as an MMS so that was wrong info from that poster.

Fact is, SMS was meant to be short so why freak about it

I would rather get an email then 10 SMS message because somebody typed 1600 characters.
    08-31-09 01:17 PM
    ...because sometimes we need 180 characters

people constantly mentioning that SMS has 'short' in it for a reason is getting annoying. everyone has their own reason to create a longer message
    08-31-09 01:27 PM
    Ya man, save $5 and try out the beta..and eventually the official 5.0 OS when it gets released. The threaded SMS app operates almost exactly like BBM 5.0 does. So if you get to the 160 character limit, you can just hit enter and keep going.

I use text messages way more than I use BBM so its a worthwhile tradeoff for me. Be forewarned though, there are a lot of people who have issues with the leaked OS, I suggest wait till a hybrid is released and then go with that if you're weary about the risks contained in a leaked OS.
    08-31-09 03:56 PM
    i have a friend that sends me texts that are over 160 all the time. she has Verizon and has the env3. i noticed when i tried to forward one of her texts and it said message shortened by "x" characters. "x" is however many characters over 160 it is. the last one she sent me has 188. they come in as one text too. so obviously you can send more than 160 on Verizon.
    08-31-09 05:52 PM
    using mms is great but some carriers can't accept like AT&T on "certain" phones
    08-31-09 06:04 PM
    I don't know when the 160 limitation kicks in. A Vzw coworker mentioned that, if they sms a fellow Vzw subscriber, they can go over 160. As far as I know, Sprint is limited to 160. So I am unable to narrow it down to carrier service vs. phone type. Both my BBs (Pearl & Tour) limited me to 160. I had a Razr which also limited me to 160 characters, no matter the recipient.
    08-31-09 07:12 PM
    using mms is great but some carriers can't accept like AT&T on "certain" phones
    Yep, TELUS is one carrier that does NOT allow MMS at all.

I was curious what happened if I was sent a MMS, so I had my friend on Verizon send me one. Nada. Nothing showed up at all on my end.

And the TELUS version of the Tour (and all other BB's) has all mention of MMS removed from the devices.
    08-31-09 07:35 PM
    I'm not paying 5 bucks for that app...I'll just send an MMS. It's a shame that this isn't already on the phone.
    06-17-10 09:45 PM
    Don't pay for an app, get CrunchSMS from appworld, it is free and it works swell and even looks really great. The only thin gyou need to do is go into your options>security options and then click firewall and block SMS messages in your firewall, this will block SMS messages from coming into you standard SMS box, but you will still receive them in the Crunch SMS app. Again, it is free, removes the 160 limit, and improves the look and feel of SMS messaging.
    06-17-10 09:54 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD