I just got my 8330 in November, so upgrading before 7/2010 would be a couple hundred dollars. And the Tour, while nice, just isn't worth that. Yes, I'd love to have a nicer camera, a faster berry, more RAM, and unlocked GPS, but it's not worth the price. Instead, I'll stick with my Curve until I can upgrade in a year. Hopefully by then, RIM will have truly updated their OS, and maybe Verizon berries will even have WiFi. For the next few months, I'll be jealous of all the Tour owners, but I just can't justify taking the plunge for what is essentially an incremental upgrade (albeit a slick and sweet one).
    07-12-09 03:32 PM
    While I appreciate the hardware and incremental software upgrades in the Tour over the 8330, I think RIM can (and will) do better.
    There will always be better...but something to think about is 1) It will be a while until another keyboard berry comes to Verizon (it seems) and 2) A major reason to upgrade from an 8330 is that I believe it is confirmed that there will be NO 5.0 OS UPGRADE on the 8330.
    07-12-09 03:39 PM
    I still have my curve 8330 for now. I love what the Tour has to offer but love my curve as well one of the main reasons I haven't switched yet is my upgrade isn't until 2010 and Verizon wouldn't bulge.I will probably move on to the tour but not just yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 03:44 PM
    I'm passing for now on the Tour. I'm eligible for an upgrade but my Curve is still getting the job done. I've had it for about a year now and am still very happy with it.

I'll either wait for the Storm 2 or hopefully Verizon gets the Palm Pre early next year. Like someone else said, i love the WebOS on it.
    07-12-09 03:56 PM
    the Tour is a huge step up from the 8830
    07-12-09 03:58 PM
    I am a fairly new curve owner! How do you change the 8330 to an 8900 theme?

I went to a blackberrytheme website (sorry - forgot the name) and downloaded a theme with the 8900 style. I am using th "L" icon display with the icons on left and bottom. Fairly easy to install and it looks great!
    Its called Precision L 8900like 8xxx OS4.5.
    Hope that helps!

07-12-09 05:07 PM
    I was thinking about the Tour, but i can wait, my curve 8330 still makes me happy
    07-12-09 05:26 PM
    I was thinking about the Tour, but i can wait, my curve 8330 still makes me happy
    Same here. My curve will be good for another year.

07-12-09 05:39 PM
    The tour doesn't seem like a strong reason to replace the curve, especially with the keyboard not being so great.
    07-12-09 05:40 PM
    Actually the keyboard, trackball, device/os speed, all incredible. As soon as I'm eligible for an upgrade the curve gets retired and I use the TOUR

07-12-09 05:58 PM
    Double postr.
    07-12-09 05:58 PM
    With today's Boy Genius heads-up about the Storm 2 coming out later this year (with WiFi) I'm very glad I didn't jump for an early upgrade. If RIM ignored the feedback from early owners of the original Storm and the Storm 2 is plagued with the same problem they don't deserve my business and I will look elsewhere.

Otherwise, for now, I look forward to the Storm 2. (And this comes from someone that prefers physical keyboards)
    07-13-09 12:08 AM
    I'm with Gtownie...I'm holding out for a while. I want to make sure the bugs are all ironed out, before I make the leap.
    I have the Instinct and have been considering the 8330 curve...and now the tour. Are you happy with the curve? Any downsides to it?
    07-13-09 01:32 AM
    Well, I have ordered mine as well and hey, if it doesn't work out for me, I guess I would just send it back and go back to loving my curve!! =)
    07-13-09 01:56 AM
    Im just gonna wait a lil bit...see what the reviews are like, plus give time for aftermarket themes and 3rd party apps.
    07-13-09 05:35 AM
    I don't get a discounted phone till Januaryish, so I'm fine with my curve. The girlfriend did get the Tour yesterday and I am rather jealous however; the keyboard seems much better but would take a little getting used to but once I was, and the higher-res screen is incredible.

But I'm fine waiting till next year. I may actually opt for the Palm Pre if it hits Verizon this Spring.
    07-13-09 09:40 AM
    F*** the Tour...I just bought a brand new "inferno" curve for $32.48 at Bestbuy. There's no way I'm going to drop $200+ on the tour when its really not that much of an upgrade from my curve...especially when I have someone wanting to trade there new Palm Pre for my orange curve!! Sorry Blackberry...maybe next year.
    07-16-09 03:33 AM
    I played with a Palm Pre and was blown away by the sophistication of WebOS over BB OS 4.5.

I had A Palm Pre for a month, Well I should say I had a few Palm Pre's. They were aweful. I had a lot of problems with the hardware and the software. The side buttons were aweful. The slider Broke. The phone did a lot of random restarts. I couldnt take it anymore so I returned it. My tour is in the mail.
    07-16-09 06:39 PM
    I tried typing on it and it just didn't fit my fingers as well as my Curve... now if it were as big as the Bold it would be a different story. I just wish the Curve would get an updated OS... that's my only complaint.
    07-16-09 06:52 PM
    I'm gonna pass. I did check it out at the store but I don't find it worth my hard earned money to upgrade to a non-wifi BB. Besides, there has been waaaayyy too many complaints for my taste w the Tour! Instead, I'm looking into at&t's 8900 as a possible fit. We'll see.
    No Tour for me.
    07-16-09 06:58 PM
    I know, I know--everyone is super excited about the Tour. I am...err...was, too. I'm not trying to be a downer but figured I would poll to see if anyone else is feeling the same way.

While I appreciate the hardware and incremental software upgrades in the Tour over the 8330, I think RIM can (and will) do better. They've really nailed hardware in the last year (Bold, 8900, Tour), but what about software?

I played with a Palm Pre and was blown away by the sophistication of WebOS over BB OS 4.5. Yes--my Blackberry is very functional and can handle just about everything I ask of it, but it isn't nearly as pleasurable an experience as using WebOS. Further--if 4.5 works perfectly well for me, will 4.7 on a Tour be THAT big of an improvement?

I guess I'm just waiting for RIM to knock our socks off with something revolutionary. I'm eligible for an upgrade but I am going to pass for now. I'm not necessarily jumping ship on the Crackberry but I am willing to wait for something better in the future.
    I'm not sure you're really familiar with RIM devices. If you go back to all the older BB's, you'll notice that each new device is an EVOLUTIONARY upgrade, rather than REVOLUTIONARY (besides the Storm).

RIM bases its success on consistency and reliability. If it's not broken, they're not gonna fix it. The BB OS you see today will be around for a LONG time. If you want drastically innovations and change, you're using the wrong device.

And in my opinion, WebOS tries too hard to be everything. It's multitasking is implemented well but it just kills the battery. Plus, the Pre is just too huge with the keyboard (which is horrible) and it's only on Sprint.... Plus I'd rather stick to the iphone for a reliable touchscreen device.
    07-16-09 08:01 PM
    I can't believe the comments about the Tour not being "much of an upgrade" from the Curve. Sure the Curve 8300 series was a great device... but the Tour (though not feature-rich different) is so much better at everything.

The Tour is great!
    07-16-09 08:54 PM
    I have an 8330 and was expecting to upgrade to the Tour day-1 but hesitating ...

Have a tour in front of me right now ...

Battery door jiggles, can fix that with some tape I guess.
    The signal strength side-by-side with the 8330 is about 5-7 dBm less. Been walking from room to room.
    Weighs slightly more but that's really not a big deal.
    Trackball smaller and needs to be pressed in a little differently but sure I'll get used to it.
    No Seidio clip holster yet, hopefully soon.
    Gotta get a new cradle, hopefully soon.

Really just the signal strength that's holding me back so far. Have tried *228 both 1 and 2, and change from Global to 1EVO but still the same.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot, the vibrate is weaker, but I guess I could get used to it.
    Last edited by Sixto; 07-16-09 at 09:19 PM.
    07-16-09 09:13 PM
    For all the reason stated above too. I will wait. Reminds me of buying a new model car did that twice and later wished i had waited too many annoying issues.
    07-16-09 09:18 PM
    I was really excited about getting a Tour. Trying to figure out various ways to get one as I am not eligible for an upgrade for a long time. Plus, my wife just got one.

However, I am going to wait until all the kinks get worked out and more of the applications are compatible with the device.

I love my curve, but looking forward to the tour
    07-16-09 09:40 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD