I have spent the last 5 days trying to get Desktop Manager to work on my laptop -- is there an alternative? My main thing is wanting to sync my Outlook Calendar with my Blackberry - this was the primary reason for buying a Smart Phone. Is there a different app out there that I could be using that might save my sanity??
    11-07-09 10:26 AM
    What is the problem you are having with the DM that should be used? What version the DM you have?

What Type of computer and OS are you running? MAC, XP, Vista, windows 7.

Are you getting any error messages?
    11-07-09 10:44 AM
    I have a Blackberry Tour 9630 bought from Verizon but I am an Alltel holdback customer - step 1 of this nightmare!

I have an Acer Extensa 5430 running Windows Vista 64 bit Business

I spent the first day trying to run the software on the CD that came with the phone - never could get it to validate. Googled and see that there was a problem with some of these disks and tried to download newest DM from the web. Installs okay but then always shows disconnected and no PIN number registering with the software.

Without DM - if I plug the phone in computer recognizes and installs Blackberry drivers.

Have used Windows Uninstall and Revo to uninstall and re-install numerous times. Have tried various versions of DM - 4.7, 5.0, and newest. Tried drivers specific to Alltel.

Installed as Administrator.

Tried hard reset on phone. Twice.

Bought new USB cable.

Shut off power management on all USB hubs.

Shut off Firewall, and AVG, etc.

I think I have searched and tried every solution I can find to no avail. Oh and spent over an hour on the phone to Alltel who had me do some of the same stuff over and over and finally told me to go buy a new cable.

Any suggestions? I'm desperate because I just can't seem to get anything else done but mess with this dang phone -- and I love the phone itself - but want to get it talking to my computer!
    11-07-09 11:18 AM
    Just a couple of other things to try.

1. try another port - I am sure you have.

2. Pull the battery from the phone, then hook it to the computer and insert the battery.

3. You might want to try another computer, if works there, then it is something with your computer leaving a couple of options:

A. Contact Microsoft or OEM of the computer.
    B. Have Alltel xfer you to RIM for their tech support.

Post back and let us know the outcome.
    11-07-09 11:23 AM
    Okay - I will keep trying if you want to keep advising! Now - before I start - I have no DM downloaded at this time - so what would you suggest? The one that is supposed to be for Alltel (which I think is 4.7.1.40) or should I do the latest?

Actually when I go to Blackberry / Tour / Software / Alltel it gives me several options to download - which do you recommend? Do I need the USB drivers? I think I got those from someplace else.

Then -- with this battery thing - do you want me to have the DM up and running and phone plugged in when I pull the battery?

Give me all the steps so I don't miss anything here.

THANK YOU!
    11-07-09 12:11 PM
    Oh - one more thing - I read someplace that the Blackberry needs to have Desktop selected with the network service? Is it possible that my Alltel person didn't set it up to work with my Desktop? Is there a place I can check that?

Because I don't have the actual Blackberry network service - just the Alltel.
    11-07-09 12:28 PM
    I think what you are refering to is the integration of email when you install the DM, should select personal email, unless you are on a BES server.

Also the DM should come with all drivers your need. I am using DM 5.0.1 and have no problems. Although I am running XP
    11-07-09 12:39 PM
    Well last shot will be hauling the phone and my laptop to the store and letting them try - if they can't git 'r done they will be getting the Tour back. I'm very dissappointed in the whole experience - I consider myself fairly tech saavy and can't imagine what it's like for those that aren't.
    11-07-09 03:56 PM
    IT is not the phones fault. Again I would call your carrier and have them put in touch with RIM. They may have a fix
    11-07-09 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD