Just found the shortcut the other day and was wandering if its the same thing as I can avoid the hassle of pulling out the battery

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-10 03:33 PM
    Alt+shift+delete is a soft reset. A battery pull is a hard reset. Battery pulls are a power-off reboot, and can sometimes cure problems that a soft reset cannot.

However, soft resets will usually suffice.

04-26-10 03:39 PM
    If your device is locked up and not responding to the keyboard, then a battery pull is your only resort. Otherwise, an Alt-R.Shift-Del will accomplish the same result with less wear on your device. Many times we recommend a battery pull out of habit when a soft reset would suffice.
    04-26-10 03:41 PM
    yeah as far as i've heard theyre the same
    04-26-10 03:59 PM
    yeah as far as i've heard theyre the same
    You've heard wrong, in order for a true reset to occur all power must be removed from the device, so the capacitors can discharge power. Soft reset reorganizes the system but does not provide that full discharge time. The OS cannot replicate a power loss, hence why you need to physically remove the power source...
    Last edited by SevereDeceit; 04-26-10 at 04:07 PM.
    04-26-10 04:05 PM
    ...hence why you need to physically remove the power source...
    So what you are saying is that the app Quickpull is also a soft reset, since it cannot discharge the capacitors and remove the power source completely, prior to restarting.
    04-26-10 05:32 PM
    Quickpull is a soft reset, as is Alr-R.Shft-Del. Unless your device is not responding to the keyboard, you typically don't need to do anything more aggressive. I don't know of any other situations that require a battery pull to correct.

04-26-10 06:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD