So what happens after your initial 30 days on Verizon? Will it be harder to return for our problems and get it to switch out? Whats the big deal if your 30 days is now coming up within 2-3 days.
    08-09-09 12:27 AM
    Well I just got my Tour replaced for sporadic trackball issues, mainly because my 30 days is up soon. If you want to exchange your phone after the 30 days, you will get a refurbished unit. The rep I spoke with said that yes, they already have refurbished units in stock.

I imagine it'll be just as easy to exchange the phone for legitimate issues such as a muffled mic, trackball issues, or headset issues. However, I don't know if Verizon will be giving you a refurb Tour for a loose battery door after 30 days. I would think not.
    08-09-09 12:35 AM
    Refurbs are often better than new, especially when there are quality control issues with new units.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 12:39 AM
    INSURANCE!!!. Just make sure you get it. I know this can be a touchy one, but with Smart phones being so expensive I cannot see being without it.
    08-09-09 01:36 AM
    Well I just got my Tour replaced for sporadic trackball issues, mainly because my 30 days is up soon. If you want to exchange your phone after the 30 days, you will get a refurbished unit. The rep I spoke with said that yes, they already have refurbished units in stock.

I imagine it'll be just as easy to exchange the phone for legitimate issues such as a muffled mic, trackball issues, or headset issues. However, I don't know if Verizon will be giving you a refurb Tour for a loose battery door after 30 days. I would think not.

Just as easy? I would say not. After 30 days it will be more difficult which is why insurance is the key. It is the same as returning any item after the return period...never easy which is why they have a return period.
    08-09-09 01:38 AM
    so I should take it back today or tomorrow for my loose back, trackball scrolling, and muffled voice on some calls? I just got my phone unlocked, will Verizon unlock my replacement? I have insurance but will a replacement after my 30 days cost me the $90?
    08-09-09 10:55 AM
    through my 4 storms, I NEVER had issues returning it after the 30 days. I just called CS and explained my issues.. never got any grief and was promptly sent another phone.

I have never really had issues with other phones I have owned beyond 30 days either.. I think it can be rather hit or miss with the CS reps and the stores.
    08-09-09 10:57 AM
    Just as easy? I would say not. After 30 days it will be more difficult which is why insurance is the key. It is the same as returning any item after the return period...never easy which is why they have a return period.
    you are incorrect. the phone is warrantied by verizon for 1 year. walmart does not offer warranties for a year. the only difference between having a problem within 30 days is you can RETURN the phone within 30 days. after 30 days...up until one year...you can replace it under warranty...but not return it.

insurance is in case YOU damage the phone or it gets lost or stolen.
    08-09-09 11:02 AM
    Alright well I purchased from a Verizon store not a Walmart so I think im alright in that department. I read that some people suggest bringing the box with them and everything it came with, I already tore off the part for the mail in rebate so is there point in still bringing it? Will they have Tours now with snug battery cases, fixed muffled voice, and the trackball fixed? Will they give me trouble if they give me a bad one and I want a different phone? I do not want to go there and be too nit picky but like everyone else I do want my phone to be "perfect"
    08-09-09 11:08 AM
    You have a one year warranty through Verizon for phone defects. Trackball, mic, etc. would be defects that are covered under the warranty. They should very easily replace your phone for these issues.

And we're not talking about returning the phone, we're talking about replacing it. Theres a big difference.
    08-09-09 11:08 AM
    Alright well I purchased from a Verizon store not a Walmart so I think im alright in that department. I read that some people suggest bringing the box with them and everything it came with, I already tore off the part for the mail in rebate so is there point in still bringing it? Will they have Tours now with snug battery cases, fixed muffled voice, and the trackball fixed? Will they give me trouble if they give me a bad one and I want a different phone? I do not want to go there and be too nit picky but like everyone else I do want my phone to be "perfect"
    I think he was just using Walmart as an example of a store. Walmart actually sell the Tour (I believe, I could be mistaken though)

I brought all the accessories with me when I replaced my Tour, but the rep said they didn't need them. I didn't even end up getting the box from the new phone, she just handed me the phone. I asked the rep the same question about trying multiple phones, and the answer was that they would activate and try the first phone, and if that didn't work, we'd try another. I didn't push too hard to see what would happen after that since the first one ended up being satisfactory.
    08-09-09 11:11 AM
    I think he was just using Walmart as an example of a store. Walmart actually sell the Tour (I believe, I could be mistaken though)

I brought all the accessories with me when I replaced my Tour, but the rep said they didn't need them. I didn't even end up getting the box from the new phone, she just handed me the phone. I asked the rep the same question about trying multiple phones, and the answer was that they would activate and try the first phone, and if that didn't work, we'd try another. I didn't push too hard to see what would happen after that since the first one ended up being satisfactory.
    Would you then consider your replacement phone "perfect"? How about my paid apps from the Crackberry store. Is it easy to get those over to my new phone or do I have to rebuy them?
    08-09-09 11:19 AM
    If you purchase your phone with an American Express card it will effectively double the time period on your warranty up to a given period. So, if Verizon warranties the phone for up to one year, beyond that up to two years, American Express would warranty it. I've purchase a bit of stuff with AMEX because of that...i.e. iPods, etc.
    08-09-09 11:20 AM
    unfortunately I didnt purchase with an AMEX card. I never knew that warrenty thing either.
    08-09-09 11:32 AM
    but do other people have a perfect phone? I think im going to replace it now.
    08-09-09 11:50 AM
    I have never had a problem getting a replacement. While insurance is nice to have, you don't want to use it for warranty issues because you only get 2 replacements within a year and after that they will drop you.
    08-09-09 12:06 PM
    Have you backed up your BB using the desktop manager? If you have all you have to do is restore your new phone from the backup and it will all be there.
    08-09-09 12:13 PM
    Would you then consider your replacement phone "perfect"? How about my paid apps from the Crackberry store. Is it easy to get those over to my new phone or do I have to rebuy them?
    I wouldn't consider my new phone perfect, but its a lot better than my first one. I've been told I sound a tiny bit muffled, but I think I can deal with that. The trackball problem just got to be too much to deal with.

In terms of 3rd party apps, in reading everything, I found the easiest way to transfer everything is to bring your laptop with you and run device switch while you're at Verizon. It transferred over all my settings, apps, messages, etc. and only took about 20 minutes.

You will, however, have to contact CB and get new activation codes, since they're based on your pin.
    08-09-09 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD