I'm selling my Tour because we're switching to Sprint but I'm not sure how it all works- billing, ETFs, etc. I know after I cancel Sprint I will get a final bill from Verizon and a seperate ETF bill. I plan on making payments but I don't want the buyer to get a phone that can't be activated. How does that work exactly?
    11-19-09 11:33 PM
    I'm selling my Tour because we're switching to Sprint but I'm not sure how it all works- billing, ETFs, etc. I know after I cancel Sprint I will get a final bill from Verizon and a seperate ETF bill. I plan on making payments but I don't want the buyer to get a phone that can't be activated. How does that work exactly?
    Not real sure what you are trying to do here.. you said that you are switching to Sprint from Verzion, selling your Verzion phone, but then you said when you cancel Sprint???? Maybe you meant when you cancel Verzion??? But if you sell your phone and leave Verzion, your old phone can still be activated with Verzion by the new owner as long as you don't report it lost or stolen. Hope this helps,,, and maybe someone will chime in with some tips also...I'm not a Verzion user.
    11-19-09 11:39 PM
    Ok, I guess that answers my question.

LOL- just re-read what i originally posted and i meant cancel VERIZON!
    11-20-09 12:36 AM
    in order to sell ur verizon phone to someone, you need to make sure that you do not owe any money to verizon, that the phone is not listed as lost or stolen, and that it is properly deactivated from your account.

since you plan on switching to sprint, as long as you don't owe anything to Verizon then your phone should be fine to activate once you sell it to someone.

the easiest way to check if you can activate a phone is is to have someone with an active Verizon account log into "my Verizon" on the website, and then click the activate phone link (whoever is buying your phone should be able to do this no problem). it will ask you to type in the ESN number for the phone you want to activate. if you look under the battery there is a sticker, and there should be something that says "MEID" followed by 13 numbers/letters. type that 13 number/letter phrase in and then it will tell you if that phone can be activated or not. if it comes up with a message about contacting Verizon, the phone cannot be activated. if that happens then you, the original/last owner of the phone, would have to call Verizon get the ESN number cleared.

hope that all makes sense
    11-20-09 01:29 AM
    Cant he take the phone to sprint and have it activated there if its unlocked first from verizon?
    11-20-09 01:41 AM
    altho i'm not sure, i dont think so because even tho both are cdma, they are different radio frequencies. and if thats correct then i dont think he would have any service at all, or atleast not 3g or anything worth while.

however i'm not positive about this.

either way tho, if the ESN isn't clear than i still dont think it would work on sprint, unlocked or not. and i think that may be the case because sprint also uses ESN numbers for their phones

again tho, i'm not positive about this, so if someone else knows they can correct me
    11-20-09 02:50 AM
    The phone's ESN will not be released until the balance is paid to $0.00, after that Verizon will officially close your account and the phone will no longer be attached to an account until then the phone will show up on their systems as activated to a account and will not be eligible for reactivation.

A way around this is, activating a older phone lets say one of your previous phones or a cheap flip phone on that line, at that time then the blackberry will be released and you can do as you please with it knowing that who ever gets it next will be able to activate it as it no longer attached to your account.

Despite the threads you may find on "Flashing" CDMA phone to other carriers as far as activating it on sprint goes, I've never heard anyone being able to successfully activate a Verizon branded phone on Sprint or Vise-Verse but who knows maybe if you do your research you might you might find a way!

Regardless of what you decide to do Goodluck!
    11-20-09 03:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD