So with OS .983 out and possibly the last Tour OS, I thought I'd ask: which is the best OS for the Tour?

I am particularly interested in battery life improvements over .732, which is what I have been running for some time now.

Please chime in if you have experience with Tour OSes. Also, I won't use a hybrid. I don't want to deal with the added complexity and risk.

Here's what I know so far:

.732 runs very stable for me. I have to occasionally reboot, but that's primarily because I use Opera, and Opera will freeze up occasionally with heavy use. I might have a small memory leak in the OS, but I'm really not sure since I figure apps are using memory while running, and I never get a drop of more than 20M over several days. At that point I've surely rebooted anyway. I don't mind any native browser bugs too much, since I rarely use the native browser. All my other apps run fine, and with several apps constantly syncing, my battery might last a full day if I don't use a lot of GPS, phone calls, etc.

.975 I've never tried. Is it as stable as .732? Is battery life better? Does it run any faster?

.983 apparently is still giving a lot of people problems with stability, so I think that's a pass for me. Nothing is worse than a phone that has spontaneously rebooted on its own schedule, even if it only happens every day or two.

Any others worth trying? I can't remember what I ran before .732, but that one is the best I remember.
    11-22-10 07:13 PM
    if you want good battery life you should go with a 4.7 OS cause those were the best OS' for battery life!
    11-22-10 07:38 PM
    4.7 OSes are a bit too stone-age for me at this point!
    11-22-10 07:41 PM
    4.7 still superior to any of the 5.0's for me. All the features with none of the bugs.
    11-22-10 08:31 PM
    I've had so many on mine I can't remember which was best. Using the newest sprint one now and so far no random reboots and seems to be less little things than with the last vzw release before that.
    11-22-10 08:41 PM
    I am currently using .591 and its great. Battery lasts 24 hrs with moderate use and I do a battery pull once, maybe twice a week.
    11-23-10 09:46 AM
    i am currently using .975 (verizon) on my Sprint Tour. Great battery life, no bugs, no hangs, no battery pulls. I used .419 prior. Tried .983, had a contacts issue and signal fluctuation. I will stick with .975
    11-24-10 10:13 AM
    I ran 643 and it was fantastic. lol @ the posts recommending 4.7
    11-24-10 10:15 AM
    Has anyone run both .732 and .975? Could you please compare?
    11-24-10 01:18 PM
    Any takers?
    11-29-10 04:50 PM
    Also still running 4.7, no issues. I have read too many post with too many issues with other's here. Only the super users switching everyday like changing your clothes find them ok (new or leaked OS).

I get it (need the next OS like a crack hit), but I need mine to be reliable and maybe not the latest and greatest. Every week there is another leaked OS!
    12-02-10 07:48 AM
    5.0.0.641 and 732 are better choices than any 4.7 build.
    12-02-10 07:54 AM
    Maybe and as I stated I get it, but as long as I can still receive my emails and phone calls and text and mms and standard operational I am good to go. I don�t use lots of apps. Are you getting emails fast? Are your calls better?
    12-02-10 10:41 AM
    I've had several different versions of 5.0 on my Tour over the last year. All have had irritating issues ... except for Sprint's version .983.

.983 rocks on my Tour, with no problems. And it's the only version that's actually completely fixed that ridiculous browser click issue that I used to have. Web browsing is much, much improved on my Tour with .983. For those of you on Sprint, do not be afraid to upgrade to .983.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-10 10:00 AM
    I ran both. I had .429 or something before that. Did not really notice any difference. I get about 10m of mem leak per day but I have quickpull and set it to reboot each morning. I keep about 90m free on the phone so not a bid deal either way. battery life no noticeable difference, I tend to use my phone lots some days and not so much others, I can get 2 days but mostly charge it overnight. not much help
    The biggest fix was getting rid of .429 as you could not click on links in the browser.
    12-05-10 03:50 PM
    i am currently using .975 (verizon) on my Sprint Tour. Great battery life, no bugs, no hangs, no battery pulls. I used .419 prior. Tried .983, had a contacts issue and signal fluctuation. I will stick with .975
    Go to 1030--newest official from Sprint. The battery life is amazing, signal better and overall a much quicker response. I now have 1XEV all the time in my home where I couldn't get before, only 1X, so downloading OTA is no longer a "maybe."
    01-05-11 09:58 AM
    The best OS is the one that has not come out yet for OUR device...

Hey I know there will never be a great OS for my Tour and the darn thing has worked flawless since the day I bought it approaching 2 years. I smell upgrade and may need to go Android not seeing any light at the end of tunnel for VZW and RIM giving us any new and exciting devices with the BB name on it.

Oh well that is just my opinion.
    01-05-11 06:27 PM
    I upgraded to .975 from .732 when Verizon made it available (I think maybe a month or so ago, don't remember exactly). I've noticed a slight improvement in both battery life and web browser speed.
    01-06-11 01:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD