Hello all,

I'm new to the smart phone world. I am currently on verizon and have an upgrade in Nov. THANK god. lol my voyager was an epic fail. Anyways
    Ive always been smitten with the BB tour.. My sister has one and I like its features... But obviously something is hampering me, and its in the form of a scary looking robot..

So lets cut to the chase..

Blackberry Tour or the Motorola Droid....

be sure to back up your choice.

Thanks!

D.Ray
    10-22-09 10:53 PM
    thank you.. and yes i have searched but havent seen specifically droid vs. tour head on...

and yes i do think ppl would. lol theres a lot of ppl who dont enjoy their tours as much as other ppl enjoy their phones.
    10-22-09 11:07 PM
    Tour is a good phone but the Droid looks pretty promising...
    10-22-09 11:13 PM
    i would start by asking yourself what you need in a phone.

I traded in my Palm Pre for my Tour because i needed something more reliable and more durable. I know with my Tour the battery is going to survive a full day at work and still have power left at the end of day, i'm not glued to a charger.

i also know that the Blackberry platform has proven itself over and over again as a stable, powerful and reliable OS. The more i use my Tour the more i realize this. (the Tour is my first ever blackberry device)

something else to consider is how new android is, i'm not saying it's a bad platform, only that it's still young and new to the game. Add to that the fact that Motorola is also new to the world of Android and hasn't been able to prove it self as a solid manufacturer of Android smartphones quite yet.

and of course what do you need in a phone? do you have a need/want for a large touch screen with a slide out keyboard or do you like (as i do) the candybar style of the Tour (and most other Blackberries) with no moving parts (aside from the trackball which is also going away with new blackberry phones)

The Tour is a great smartphone and the Doid has the potential to be a great smartphone but only time will tell. like any new device, wait it out a few months after it's release and research it a little, see what the main complaints are, if it's something you can live with then go for it (or there aren't any major issues at all) i know the Tour had a rough start and i'm glad i didn't get it at launch, my Tour has all the bugs worked out and it's an amazing device.

sorry for the long post, i guess i'm just saying weigh out your needs and wants, do a little research on both devices and i would wait a month or two after the Droid comes out to make sure there aren't any major issues with it if you decide to go that route

thanks for listening
    10-22-09 11:29 PM
    i would start by asking yourself what you need in a phone.

I traded in my Palm Pre for my Tour because i needed something more reliable and more durable. I know with my Tour the battery is going to survive a full day at work and still have power left at the end of day, i'm not glued to a charger.

i also know that the Blackberry platform has proven itself over and over again as a stable, powerful and reliable OS. The more i use my Tour the more i realize this. (the Tour is my first ever blackberry device)

something else to consider is how new android is, i'm not saying it's a bad platform, only that it's still young and new to the game. Add to that the fact that Motorola is also new to the world of Android and hasn't been able to prove it self as a solid manufacturer of Android smartphones quite yet.

and of course what do you need in a phone? do you have a need/want for a large touch screen with a slide out keyboard or do you like (as i do) the candybar style of the Tour (and most other Blackberries) with no moving parts (aside from the trackball which is also going away with new blackberry phones)

The Tour is a great smartphone and the Doid has the potential to be a great smartphone but only time will tell. like any new device, wait it out a few months after it's release and research it a little, see what the main complaints are, if it's something you can live with then go for it (or there aren't any major issues at all) i know the Tour had a rough start and i'm glad i didn't get it at launch, my Tour has all the bugs worked out and it's an amazing device.

sorry for the long post, i guess i'm just saying weigh out your needs and wants, do a little research on both devices and i would wait a month or two after the Droid comes out to make sure there aren't any major issues with it if you decide to go that route

thanks for listening
    That pretty much sums it up. I ended up getting the tour since it was really cheap with an upgrade, but the Droid does look good. I might consider it, but will wait to see if it is what I expected. Its really up to what you want and need for a daily basis.
    10-22-09 11:42 PM
    well basically i want to be able to read and send email...
    i want a nice size keyboard to text. i do that alot.. i want to be able
    to connect to the social networking programs easilyyyyy. plus im an internet browser, so a nice browser would be nice..

the reason i am torn is b.c its true, the droid will be a risk... and the blackberry looks like its solid.. i might wanna take the risk b.c as it seems to me, the blackberry is going to get updated soon... the trackball, though prob wont be an issue, is gonna be replaced by a way more efficient trackpad...

and also my upgrade is in nov.. the 7th to be exact, so i want to jump on a phone soon. i just want to way both options b.c i was sooo 100 percent blackberry, but android and this droid, might be able to do the same things i wanted on the tour, plus sum..

thanks alll who've replieddd
    10-23-09 02:18 AM
    You weren't kidding about the Voyager being an epic fail! 8 replacement phones later my upgrade didn't come fast enough. Now I have the Tour and other than the initial trackball problem, I couldn't be happier. Compared to a regular phone, the browsing is great IMO. Since my laptop had a book thrown at it and has become useless, my tour has been my everything.

I honestly can say this is the best toy/tool I've had in my adult life. As cool as a droid phone would be, I'd say go with a BB. Let the bugs get worked out and try it out in a couple years if you're still interested.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-09 05:27 AM
    10-23-09 12:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD