So I have the Verizon wirless edition of the Blackberry unlocked here in the UAE and it works fine here, I was wondering as i will be setteling down in the UK (scotland) very soon, I was wondering if my phone will work there?

I heared rumors that given its a CDMA there is a very small chance this is going to happen, please tell me that this is not the case and that I can perhaps go to any carrier in the UK and use unlimited net services ect.
    09-19-09 06:03 AM
    Bump up plz anyone ?
    09-20-09 03:23 PM
    I just got back from London where I purchased an Orange SIM card for my unlocked VZW Tour and it worked fine. I only used the phone for voice back to the US and not data (used the VZW Global for data on the Vodaphone SIM that came with the phone).

Easy and simple and worked without problems.
    Last edited by spectraphysics; 09-20-09 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added to post
    09-20-09 06:00 PM
    I just got back from London where I purchased an Orange SIM card for my unlocked VZW Tour and it worked fine. I only used the phone for voice back to the US and not data (used the VZW Global for data on the Vodaphone SIM that came with the phone).

Easy and simple and worked without problems.
    So you swapped sim cards each time you went from phone to data?
    09-20-09 10:12 PM
    You can use it on any provider in Europe just as long as the phone is unlocked. My friend has a Tour and he's using it fine in Scotland with T-mobile. He reported back to me that he has 3G data working on the Tour. The best part is we keep in touch with BBM, probably the cheapest form of communication between here and there.
    09-20-09 11:43 PM
    You can use it on any provider in Europe just as long as the phone is unlocked. My friend has a Tour and he's using it fine in Scotland with T-mobile. He reported back to me that he has 3G data working on the Tour. The best part is we keep in touch with BBM, probably the cheapest form of communication between here and there.
    So can you buy a sim card that supports 3g data in the UK? Or is he using T-mobile for data? Would we need to continually switch back and forth between sim cards to use data and voice?
    09-27-09 11:32 PM
    I have an unlocked Telus tour, and is using the 3G on the o2 network in england. there has been no problems with data or voice on my device. can get unlimited data and decent minutes and texts through o2's simplicity which just gives u the sim card. just a thought.
    09-28-09 10:13 AM
    Yes, I switched SIM cards for voice and data. I just posted this in a thread above this one:

"I just got back from the UK and purchased an Orange SIM card for making calls back to the US (6p/min to US, 20p/min to UK numbers). The SIM worked fine, but I did not have the phone registered on the SIM with Blackberry so my data didn't work (I used the Vodaphone SIM that came with my Tour for that). I did the card switching when I needed to make calls.

However, Orange told me that they could have activated my phone with Blackberry so that data would have worked. Cost for that was 5 GBP/month. It would have been a deal but I was only in the UK for a week. Since I had my Vodaphone SIM activated with Blackberry, I didn't know what impact registering the Orange SIM as well. Since I was paying for data with the Vodaphone SIM via VZW, I didn't want to pay twice. Next time, I might consider not going the VZW Global Access route and just using the Orange SIM for data.

So long as your Tour is unlocked, any SIM will work for voice though."
    09-28-09 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD