What are the chances that the 9630, which seems to have a touch-friendly interface with the large buttons in the menus, will be released as the 9900?

Perhaps the reason for the rumored launch date getting pushed back from May to August is to add the touchscreen?

What do you guys think?
    04-04-09 04:04 PM
    Im not sure how feasible this is because they would have to come up with a new OS for it as well. Then again they may already have one if they were planning on releasing a Bold touchscreen. I'm also pretty sure you can't just switch screens and call it a day. It is a lot more complicated because it's from a non-touchscreen to a touchscreen and possibly a click screen like the Storm. The Niagara looks complete, hardware wise, so I don't think they would be this far in and then change their mind.

With all that said, it would be awesome if they did do it and was release around August.
    04-04-09 04:10 PM
    The 9630 is NOT a touchscreen BB.
    04-04-09 04:24 PM
    Thank you Bajan. The 9630 is not a touchscreen device. The only touchscreen now is the Storm, and the 9900. That's it!
    04-04-09 04:38 PM
    I think the OP just wanted to know if it could be possible to do this because we all know the 9630 isn't touchscreen. I think if they are going to add anything to the 9630 it will be Wi-fi.
    04-04-09 04:45 PM
    If they wanted to add touchscreen to it, they would have to cook up another OS package. And more technology into it.
    04-04-09 04:50 PM
    Thank you Bajan. The 9630 is not a touchscreen device. The only touchscreen now is the Storm, and the 9900. That's it!
    No this is incorrect. I'm not sure how many times we have to go down this road....
    04-04-09 07:00 PM
    No this is incorrect. I'm not sure how many times we have to go down this road....
    one more time?
    04-04-09 07:13 PM
    one more time?
    LOL! Yes please one more time.
    04-04-09 07:15 PM
    Believe it or not some people still think the 9630 is still possibly a touch screen. They feel like its a secret and some can't say nothing because of a NDA.
    04-04-09 07:43 PM
    Yea the 9630 is too far along in hardware, but I could see where the OP is coming from, with the release day being pushed back.
    04-04-09 08:14 PM
    Believe it or not some people still think the 9630 is still possibly a touch screen. They feel like its a secret and some can't say nothing because of a NDA.
    I know that the 9630 IS NOT a touch screen in its current form.

I'm just trying to reconcile the fact that the 9630 release date got pushed back and the fact that some articles have said that Verizon is getting a new hybrid device in a few months. It doesn't make much sense to release the two devices at the same time. And while it's likely that the hybrid device isn't coming out this year, I am just speculating that it is possible that the 9630 will get revised before release so that it is the hybrid device. It is already based on the Storm's OS and has gesture support for the trackball.
    04-04-09 08:54 PM
    it hink alot of the confusion people seem to get caught up in when looking at the edges of the 9630 screen there seems to be a gap similar to storm so i think alot of people are mistaking it for touchscreen. but it certainly is not!
    04-04-09 09:26 PM
    it hink alot of the confusion people seem to get caught up in when looking at the edges of the 9630 screen there seems to be a gap similar to storm so i think alot of people are mistaking it for touchscreen. but it certainly is not!
    Please read the original post carefully.
    04-04-09 10:25 PM
    If this thing ends up being a hybrid device, that would indeed be really cool. With wifi,unlocked gps, 3g rev a to boot, verizon would get my vote and my business.

I'm sure the hybrid will be a future device tho... But hey, wishful thinking never hurt anyone right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-09 11:35 PM
    Please read the original post carefully.
    wasnt talking about you there are just a lot of people asking the same question so i was adding why i thought a lot of other people were confused on why it had touchscreen. and i read your post very carefully but this will not happen as there are already hard models of the 9630 out and the 9900 will more than likely be debuting on a gsm network. i think amin reason for pushback is to avoid another storm issue and so they are able to announce it at WES
    04-05-09 02:45 AM
    wasnt talking about you there are just a lot of people asking the same question so i was adding why i thought a lot of other people were confused on why it had touchscreen. and i read your post very carefully but this will not happen as there are already hard models of the 9630 out and the 9900 will more than likely be debuting on a gsm network. i think amin reason for pushback is to avoid another storm issue and so they are able to announce it at WES
    Coming to different networks makes sense, but there have been two articles now saying that the hybrid device would be coming to verizon. One can only hope!

I'm hoping that any delay in release leads to a more polished OS.
    04-05-09 04:04 AM
    My mistake, I forgot about the 9220 also. But I don't get what else there is.
    04-05-09 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD