I definately think that the issues are selective as I've had no issues with 4.7.XX(whatever). I can't wait for 5.0, but i guess maybe i'm just lucky, but it works great for me.
    10-21-09 03:29 PM
    That list explains many of the apps I would normally use. At least that tells me Viigo is not the problem since you do not run that. Viigo is what I use the most on my phone probably and would definitely not want to give up.
    actually viigo was giving many devices a lot of issues. Reboots, crashing, freezing and yes the 552.

Search the forums on it. There are a lot of problems with it.

I'm running .230 now and had ZERO problems with 4.7 but I will agree with you that it is a disaster of an OS.

Worst OS ever loaded on a BB.

It's what killed the Storm.
    10-21-09 03:54 PM
    I downgraded to .57 from irtehun's tour hybrid mainly because I wanted to use gps with
    Google maps in Europe (and now am glad I did as it was very helpful with directions, shops etc) as well as have a working Vlingo and Pandora (to a lesser extent). I just found out that a new version of goole maps allows it to acquire a gps lock on a Sprint Tour running 5.0, which will give a nice boost to 5.0 popularity with us Sprint Tour users. I use Vlingo a lot though and thus will not be upgrading prolly until the developer supports 5.0, and this will not happen until the official BB 5.0 release.

After downgrading I miss my threaded texts and the uptick in speed but do not miss the worse battery life of 5.0 and issues with Airave connection.

I did a clean wipe and install so did not have the error 552 issues with 4.7.1.57.I have tons of apps also. One bug I noticed was with Bolt browser: trackball tends to get stuck with lack of down vertical scrolling. Bolt restart fixes it temporarily.
    Last edited by dohturdima; 10-21-09 at 05:46 PM.
    10-21-09 05:39 PM
    Shazam: Won't work, devs apparently have responded to others that they have no intention of fixing until official release of 5.
    To clarify: Shazam looked into the (5.0) issue and found there was a low-level operating system bug that was outside of Shazam's control and for which there was no workaround. This was unfortunate but expected given that the 5.0 firmwares were in beta (and still are).

Shazam looks forward to RIM fixing the bug. Once the bug is fixed Shazam believes the current application will work as expected (bar any other 5.0 issues).

Thanks for your time.
    10-22-09 06:05 AM
    To clarify: Shazam looked into the (5.0) issue and found there was a low-level operating system bug that was outside of Shazam's control and for which there was no workaround. This was unfortunate but expected given that the 5.0 firmwares were in beta (and still are).

Shazam looks forward to RIM fixing the bug. Once the bug is fixed Shazam believes the current application will work as expected (bar any other 5.0 issues).

Thanks for your time.
    I stand corrected. Sorry for the misrepresentation of the issues. As I posted, I passed along what others said, and I shouldn't have presented hearsay as fact.

Looking forward to being able to run Shazam again once the OS5 issue is resolved. PLEASE drop a post once that's possible, so we don't have to do the trial and error thing.
    10-22-09 12:17 PM
    This OS is a complete disaster. The phone hardware seems good once they fixed the trackball issues, but this OS is dreadful. Lets see they only finally 2 months after release fixed the GPS. Then there is the never ending Error 552 everytime I try to install anything on the phone. It is utterly ridiculous that I need to reinstall my OS just to install an application.

I used to be a Blackberry fanboy. This is rapidly changing my mind and pushing me to think seriously about an Android phone. I can already hear the responses - wait for the 5.0 OS it is great. Well, I should not have to wait. When you release a product it is supposed to work. I paid good money for it and I expect it to work. In 10 years of owning blackberries I have never had this level of trouble. No less then 15 times have I bricked my phone since I got it at the beginning of September.

Ok, tirade done, but my disappointment in RIM is unfortunately not.

-frank
    Download 5.0 asap. I couldn't be happier with my Tour. It is hands down the best BB I've owned.

I've tried a few 4.7 builds including a few hybrids and I've tried all three leaked versions of 5.0 as well as a hybrid. Ultimately I have determined that 5.0.0.191 is the best build so far. My battery life is ridiculous, all my apps run perfect, and my device is very fast and smooth. I would highly recommend trying this. I think .191 is hard to get your hands on, so send me a PM if you're having trouble finding it.
    10-22-09 12:53 PM
    I loved this thing - up until about an hour ago - tried the new Google Maps - or, should I say Fried the New Google Maps.

552 now. . .
    10-22-09 01:50 PM
    just to point out the new update to google maps that just came out works perfect finally fixed the google maps problem finallly!
    10-22-09 03:23 PM
    just to point out the new update to google maps that just came out works perfect finally fixed the google maps problem finallly!
    Yes. I was very happy to get my GPS functionality back. I used GM all the time with my 8900.
    10-22-09 04:34 PM
    SOOON 5.0 will be here!!!!
    10-22-09 05:41 PM
    Well, I finally bit the bullet and got .230. Most apps seem to work. Pandora seems to be the main app I use that has problems. Viigo also, but at least that has a workaround. Shazam as stated is stuck due to an OS bug.

I just hope this one does not brick itself like the 4.7 OS does.

-frank
    10-23-09 12:28 PM
    Well, I finally bit the bullet and got .230. Most apps seem to work. Pandora seems to be the main app I use that has problems. Viigo also, but at least that has a workaround. Shazam as stated is stuck due to an OS bug.

I just hope this one does not brick itself like the 4.7 OS does.

-frank
    Fingers crossed for you Frank, but all the annoying drumming about OS5 seems to be accurate about the 552s. I haven't had a single one since I switched a couple weeks ago, I've downloaded MANY apps since then, and even though some of the apps didn't work with 5 and made my Tour act kinda wonky, once I uninstalled them, it was back to smooth seas. The grass is always greener part of me drives me crazy that I can't run a couple of my apps since I upgraded, but overall, .230 is pretty awesome, and I hope a better leak (or even an official release) isn't too far away.

In case you haven't already gleaned this from browsing the Beta/Hybrid board, two things to watch out for (at least on VZ Tours (I know you're Sprint)):

-After every reboot, the Tour will default back to global mode, which is obviously a battery waster if you don't need it. Luckily, the only occasion where a reboot is needed is the occasional app install/upgrade that requires it. But no 552s!!!! I just learned to always switch back to 1XEV mode after every reboot.
    -The PRL seems to get wiped out after a reboot. On VZ, we can dial *228 to redownload. I know the Sprint Tour manages PRL downloads from the settings menus, which it sounds like isn't working with OS5. Don't know if Sprint also has a dial-in system like VZ. It might not be as big a deal on Sprint, since they're all PCS, but it appears to me that the PRL is pretty important on VZ (aside from traveling purposes), since many areas are using cellular with PCS overlays. I've noticed MAJOR signal issues if I don't download a PRL after a reboot, and this is in my home, SF metro area (not traveling outside VZ service area).

Anyway, GOOD LUCK!!
    10-23-09 01:04 PM
    Hmm...i must agree with OP i been using the 8900 from t-mobile with .250 and the OS just works.

my work gave me a Tour from vzw and i notice the sound profile issues...(where you have to change it to a different tone, save it, then change it to the tone you want, and save it for it to work....) boot up time takes forever on Tour. but as far as apps functioning on the Tour its okay. I really need to get use to the new menu style and the sound profile. I like the old way it just works...don't get me wrong, im not the type of person who dont like change...but if u do make a change plz make it work.

Just my thoughts... not tryin to bash on the Tour but i can't wait til the 9700 comes out. =)
    10-23-09 01:36 PM
    I have problems with 4.7 and can't upgrade.

The worst thing though is that you're a skins fan. I am too. I can't tell you how much I hate snyder and cerrato.
    10-23-09 01:41 PM
    Count me down as not a fan of 4.7, and mixed feelings about my Tour.

My last BB was the 8703 and it worked as well as a non-smart phone in terms of responsiveness, etc. My only other smart phone experience was friends' iphones, and I didn't go that route because I need my phone to perform like a phone, not an underpowered desktop.

So I got the Tour, put up with an awful trackball for too long, got it replaced and now have a loose back door. What didn't change was the sometimes up to 10 second hourglass delay after unlocking the phone. Completely unnacceptable. Twice I have called someone, and after no answer I wanted to hang up, but the command didn't process instantly so their VM picked up silence (unless my frustration had become audible).

On the pro-side, I love the video. Watching episodes of 30 Rock on the metro makes up for a lot.

No problem with my aps (Sports Illustrated / iheartradio, love them both) but Google Maps usefulness seems quite limited. Again, you're constantly putting up with the black hourglass. Also, even though i'm with VZW, the GPS doesn't seem to work with it. The blue dot is consistently 5-6 blocks away from me; wtf, even a stopped clock is right twice a day! Yet VZ Navigator on my standalone LG phone (got rid of it when I got my Tour) would tell me to stop precisely as I stepped in front of a friend's row house!

Hope 5.0 comes out sooner than later.
    10-23-09 03:49 PM
    Shazam Update- I didn't see any other mentions of this on the forum, but I only did a cursory search. Anyway, if you go to the Shazam website and use the URL listed there to download Shazam OTA, you'll get v 2.0.14, which DOES work work great on my Tour running 5.0.0.230 (and seems to have some added bells and whistles from the older version). BB AppWorld is still only offering v 2.0.8
    11-08-09 02:05 AM
    heh, i had problems with VZW's 4.7.1.40, but updated to one of the recent 4.7.1.6x releases.. and i've had zero problems with my gps (it actually works better now) not that i even use my gps on the phone really..

as for the 552 appload error thing.. no problems here ever.

please keep in mind, on the internet, your more likely to hear from people with problems than ones without problems.. until threads like this come up that is.
    yes alot of problem threads are to be found, but its hardly indicative of how the overall phone performs for us.

i realize that there are problems, and yes i understand that some people have had problems with multiple tours, but i've seen the same thing in these forums for past BB's.

if you are truly having this many problems with the phone, then why not return it?
    i looked at other phones prior to getting my tour, but finally decided, i like my blackberry way too much to leave.. hooked for life lol.

cheers
    11-08-09 03:21 AM
    Umm ... not to state the obvious, but why don't you backup the phone, fully wipe it with jl_cmdr then follow the restoration procedure to load in the 4.7.1.61 OS ... then reload your apps ... its not the phone that is bad, its something with the OS on the phone ... easier then returning to VZW ... and will probably take care of all your issues ... I've got tons of appps and no problems. The occasional lock up, but I press the key combo to reboot it and in a few minutes its fine. ANY phone will have problems in one way or another, the BB is mainly a great device to sync your data with, then it is secondarily a media/game/app phone.
    11-08-09 03:25 AM
    The Tour does not default to global mode if you select "No" at the sim prompt.
    11-08-09 04:59 AM
    Are you also the type of personality that can't pass a yard sale without stopping and buying something? Seriously, dude- that's a lot of apps. Yes, I know "technically" it shouldn't matter, that the phone was designed to handle apps, and that they should all run perfectly and not effect the OS in anyway... but HELLO, this is earth we're talking about here.

Make a list of all the apps you have, and rate them with a number as to their importance. Reinstall your OS from scratch without any programs, and then slowly start installing maybe your top 10, and see if you have a problem. If you still do, use the process of elimination to determine if there is a program causing the problem.
    You are being an apologist for BB and are obviously emotionally invested. It is unacceptable that so many should be having this 552 problem. That you haven't had the issue yet does not give you the right to take an attitude. Your suggestion is impractable, at best; the platform is way too unstable to have been released publicly. Users I know do not have the time to waste with a solution like your have suggested.

I too am experiencing the 552 issue. I am on my 2nd BB Tour in 6 weeks and am ready to ship it back and leave BB. Way too much time wasted on RIM's poor service. It's no wonder investors are dumping their stock.
    Last edited by dbresina; 11-08-09 at 11:29 PM.
    11-08-09 11:27 PM
    If you're underwhelmed by 4.7 wait until you see 5.0
    11-08-09 11:34 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD