This OS is a complete disaster. The phone hardware seems good once they fixed the trackball issues, but this OS is dreadful. Lets see they only finally 2 months after release fixed the GPS. Then there is the never ending Error 552 everytime I try to install anything on the phone. It is utterly ridiculous that I need to reinstall my OS just to install an application.

I used to be a Blackberry fanboy. This is rapidly changing my mind and pushing me to think seriously about an Android phone. I can already hear the responses - wait for the 5.0 OS it is great. Well, I should not have to wait. When you release a product it is supposed to work. I paid good money for it and I expect it to work. In 10 years of owning blackberries I have never had this level of trouble. No less then 15 times have I bricked my phone since I got it at the beginning of September.

Ok, tirade done, but my disappointment in RIM is unfortunately not.

-frank
    10-21-09 08:27 AM
    maybe try the leaked 5.0 OS. I know it's not the answer that you want, but it works on the Tours. The only drawback on the 5.0 that I have experienced is the battery life is not sogreat w/the OS and BBGroups.
    Regarding the GPS, I have GPSNav which works on 5.0. Do a search for it. Make sure you install it on OS 4.7 then upgrade to 5.0 & it should work.
    Hope this helps.
    10-21-09 08:33 AM
    I ran away from 4.7 as soon as I found irtehun's 5.0 hybrids Give it spin! http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/tour-hybrid-273397/
    10-21-09 08:37 AM
    Not sure what you're doing with the phone...I've seen zero issues with the stock 4.7 OS running a basic set of apps.
    10-21-09 08:43 AM
    Thats really odd, I've never had an issue as you describe and I've got a BUNCH of stuff installed on my Tour. Have you warranty exchanged for a new device? Maybe you got a bum device!
    10-21-09 08:43 AM
    For those asking - I have about 20-25 apps installed. Unfortunately, if you search these forums, LOTS of people are having this problem. It is not a hardware problem, it is an OS problem. Up to a certain point apps install fine, then all of a sudden it is like there is a limit somewhere as to how many apps can be installed. Once you hit that limit - crash.

For those pushing the OS 5 hybrids. I have tried to follow the threads but can't tell for sure - what apps do not run? On Sprint at least- TeleNav, Google Maps will go back to not working for me, Pandora(?) and Shazam do not work. Is that all?

-frank
    10-21-09 08:57 AM
    That's too bad. Something tells me that Android will give you problems as well.
    10-21-09 09:08 AM
    I'm on Sprint & have about 25-30 apps on OS 5.0.0.230 & the Tour works well. I tried the .157 that Sprint recently released and went back to 5.0. My only problems are the battery life and I have low memory (~90mg) - but that must be a result of the apps I'm running, but it doesn't seem to slow the phone's processes. Telenav doesn't work, but GPSNav works for me. I am not a fan of Google Maps or BB Maps. Shazam works good and I don't really use Pandora.
    10-21-09 09:11 AM
    Thanks JustaNJDiva. I thought I had read Shazam did not work. I also saw a way to get the Telenav to work. I like the Google Maps Latitude so my wife and I can coordinate with the three kids, etc. I liked Loopt even better on my Curve, but no luck on the Tour yet. I use Pandora a lot, so I will have to see. I just wiped and reinstalled 157. The next time this happens (and there will definitely be a next time) I may try a 5.0 hybrid - or maybe something crazy will happen and an official 5.0 OS will be released by then!

-frank
    10-21-09 09:38 AM
    For those asking - I have about 20-25 apps installed. Unfortunately, if you search these forums, LOTS of people are having this problem. It is not a hardware problem, it is an OS problem. Up to a certain point apps install fine, then all of a sudden it is like there is a limit somewhere as to how many apps can be installed. Once you hit that limit - crash.

For those pushing the OS 5 hybrids. I have tried to follow the threads but can't tell for sure - what apps do not run? On Sprint at least- TeleNav, Google Maps will go back to not working for me, Pandora(?) and Shazam do not work. Is that all?

-frank
    Are you also the type of personality that can't pass a yard sale without stopping and buying something? Seriously, dude- that's a lot of apps. Yes, I know "technically" it shouldn't matter, that the phone was designed to handle apps, and that they should all run perfectly and not effect the OS in anyway... but HELLO, this is earth we're talking about here.

Make a list of all the apps you have, and rate them with a number as to their importance. Reinstall your OS from scratch without any programs, and then slowly start installing maybe your top 10, and see if you have a problem. If you still do, use the process of elimination to determine if there is a program causing the problem.
    10-21-09 10:09 AM
    MisterB - Are you the type of person who accepts mediocrity in all its forms and simply says well that is life? Your personal attack is unwarranted and unwelcome. I am merely pointing out a frustrating (to me) limitation in the OS.

I have worked with BBs, I am a SW developer and I know that this is a lot of apps. But I could run this many on my 3 year old Curve so, expecting it to work on the flagship Sprint CDMA device - not out of the question.

I have done what you said and it is not one app. It is the OS. The order does not matter and as I stated above - one time it was Google Maps, one time it was BBM, one time AIM, this time I can't get BBAppworld to load. After all the apps are installed there is still 90+ megabytes free. But thanks for your reply anyway.

-frank
    10-21-09 10:26 AM
    Caution97, very funny. Not informative or helpful. Fanboy, slavish devotion to a device is not going to help it move forward. If you have not heard of the issues, try search above and use error 552 - you will find a large number of people with the same problem. I am happy that there are lots of people who are having no problems. But I am having lots of problems and was looking to express my frustration not be attacked by others with no problems.

-frank
    10-21-09 10:34 AM
    I still like my BB but I too seem to have issues when trying to install new apps. Viigo, Bloomberg Mobile, and a couple others I don't remember 552'd my Tour even after repeated attempts. I basically just gave up after awhile. I need my phone to work as a phone, and I can't spend hour upon hour refreshing the OS due to faulty installations; I need my beauty sleep.

I have a bunch of apps that do work, but for some odd reason certain new ones just won't no matter how many times I try.
    Last edited by dchawk81; 10-21-09 at 10:46 AM.
    10-21-09 10:43 AM
    I bought my Tour in the first couple of weeks after release. I have had 0 problems with the phone or the 4.7 OS

I may be the minority, and I realize that MANY variables affect this.

I run more than a dozen apps/games/etc... I just don't mess with the phone much. With all of the problems people are having trying to upgrade, downgrade, anythinggrade i'm just holding tight with the out of the box OS and enjoying its stability
    10-21-09 11:27 AM
    I have no idea why people are so afraid to use.230. Its near flawless.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-09 11:47 AM
    Caution97, very funny. Not informative or helpful. Fanboy, slavish devotion to a device is not going to help it move forward. If you have not heard of the issues, try search above and use error 552 - you will find a large number of people with the same problem. I am happy that there are lots of people who are having no problems. But I am having lots of problems and was looking to express my frustration not be attacked by others with no problems.

-frank
    What apps do you have installed? My Tour, until last not worked flawlessly(came from a Storm). Last night my locked up trying to place a call but now wont get past the white screen.

As for you issue I will bet my number of apps was nearing 20 with no issues.
    Nav4all
    Facebook
    Google Talk
    MSN Messenger
    Docs To Go Premium
    Call Blocker
    I heart Radio
    Xenoiou(SP?) for You Tube
    Song Id
    BBScanner
    CaptureIt
    Google Maps
    Directv Fan Cast for NFL Sunday Ticket

Thats just what I use frequently. I have many others. I only do a battery pull maybe every two weeks. So I am unsure what you have going on. No issues with installing
    10-21-09 11:50 AM
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I've been running the original OS 4.7.1.40, various 5 builds and hybrids, and right now have the Sprint 4.7.1.57 version installed for this week while I'm at work. Never have seen a 552.

When I do reload, I use BBSAK and completely wipe the phone - maybe that helps???

Right now I've got the following loaded:
    BB App World, BBM, BerryBuzz, Bloomberg, Bolt, Dictionary, Facebook, Google Maps, Google Sync, NFL Mobile, Pandora, Pocket Express North America, Poynt, QuickLaunch, Speedtest, Sprint Nav, Sprint TV, Time, Weather.com v1.0

Currently don't have BerryWeather loaded because it appears that it gives me 15 sec pauses sometimes, and I'm trying to find out for sure.

App memory free space 94.2MB. While version 4..57 is not nearly as fast as OS5, it is stable. Don't know what else I can tell you.
    10-21-09 11:57 AM
    I have brought up this same issue since I got my first tour and nothing helps except not to install 3rd party software on the 4.7 OS. 5.0 seems to work fine, but you can do a complete wipe install the OS fresh and one of your apps will give you a 552.. The next time you do that same app that caused the 552 will work fine and an app that worked previously will 552 the tour. There is some OS bug that allows a bad app to crash the whole OS. This happened to me on 2 verizon tours and 1 sprint tour. I got fed up and took them all back and am now running something with a more stable OS.
    I smartphone is of no use to you if you can't install 3rd parth apps. Especially when the tour gives you so much memory to install apps.
    At least 5.0 seems to be more stable, but not sure how RIM let something so awful get out.
    10-21-09 12:26 PM

-frank
    Hey Frank-

As you were the one that immediately jumped to my defense a couple weeks ago when I posted about the 552s, while the "I've never seen a 552 on my Tour" and "Try a leak or hybrid" camps pounded me, I sympathize with your frustration and rage. For all the others in this thread that are also from those two camps, please see my post from yesterday, and please post constructively:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/to...-aware-342138/

Frank, since you're on Sprint and I'm on VZ, as you have already inferred in your post, we may experience different app issues with a leak/hybrid. I'm running .230 (leak), and the following don't work, or are wonky as described:

• Shazam: Won't work, devs apparently have responded to others that they have no intention of fixing until official release of 5. (Edit: Per a Shazam rep, Shazam/OS5 problem is caused by issues with current OS5 module(s). Rep claims current release of Shazam will work once these OS5 problems are fixed.)

• Vlingo: Sends SMS as MMS, takes a minute or two to complete SMS transaction. All other features appear to work with no problem.

• Amazon BB app: Not permitted to download, haven't bothered to "force issue" by restoring from backup. Would probably work, but I barely use it.

• Quickpull - Same boat as Shazam

The remainder of the 26 apps I ran on 4.7 before jumping to the .230 leak continue to work, in many cases better than before. Here's the "working" list":

• BofA BB App

• Barnes & Noble E-reader

• Garmin for Blackberry

• Google Maps

• Mobireader

• Netflix app (by Movela)

• Verisign MyVIP Secure Token App

• OpenTable App

• OperaMini 4.2

• DocumentsToGo Suite

• Poynt

• Splash Shopper

• Superpages App

• RailBandit Train/Subway App

• Where app

• Yelp App

• And most VZ specific apps (VVM, SongID, etc)

• Weatherbug Elite

• WikiMobile

FWIW.
    Last edited by frankd1; 10-22-09 at 12:31 PM.
    10-21-09 12:40 PM
    frankd - Thank you!

That list explains many of the apps I would normally use. At least that tells me Viigo is not the problem since you do not run that. Viigo is what I use the most on my phone probably and would definitely not want to give up. The big issues that would hold me back from using 230 is really Google Maps which is not fixed since it only just got fixed with the .57 release from Sprint. I could live without Shazam even though it is cool to have.

Amazon I kinda like for when I am out and looking to buy something it is quick and easy to comparison price it.

But in the long run I am going to guess that my frustration and blood pressure will overcome my desire to run those apps and I will go with a leaked or hybrid 5.0. Maybe like I said in an earlier post I will be surprised and a 5.0 will be officially released since it will be coming with the new Storm 2.

-frank
    10-21-09 12:56 PM
    Frank,
    I have sprint and have been very happy with 4.7 and recently updated 4.7 os from sprint. If it seems that your device is bricking up have you called sprint and see if they can replace your device. I know we all have the recently up'd deductible but maybe they will be able to help with out this. The blackberry techs at sprint have been nothing but accommodating till this point with my issues.

I am running about 20- 30 apps from music to maps to weather, social networking, sports apps... you name it i seem to have it.
    I did however notice that certain apps would brick other users phones more frequently.
    Quickpull is the main culprit for some of my friends phones. It bricked up the phone almost immed. after DL ... outside of this app there has been a few but all ones that I have deemed unneeded becuase I can have the same result with another app. QL has to be my fave app. Really has to have been one of the most versatile apps. From screen capture, bat pull, flashlight and many more apps are taken care of in.
    Sorry a bit off subject... I feel like now i am writing just to write.
    Anyways my point is this. Maybe try a app similar to QL that has more availible options and get rid of a few apps or try a new device. Other than that... I am with you praying for the 5.0 os to be officially released soon.

Sorry for the ranting...
    Last edited by jasper0201; 10-21-09 at 01:35 PM.
    10-21-09 01:33 PM
    i think you can even downgrade the os if you want to..it might just be that specific os..
    10-21-09 01:34 PM
    Was just having a conversation at lunch with a friend about Microsoft loosing it's foothold on the OS world---ME and 2000 were the start of the downfall. As soon as you loose just a little bit of your foothold, someone else jumps in and takes over. Maybe this is Google's chance...
    10-21-09 01:35 PM
    MisterB - Are you the type of person who accepts mediocrity in all its forms and simply says well that is life? Your personal attack is unwarranted and unwelcome. I am merely pointing out a frustrating (to me) limitation in the OS.

I have worked with BBs, I am a SW developer and I know that this is a lot of apps. But I could run this many on my 3 year old Curve so, expecting it to work on the flagship Sprint CDMA device - not out of the question.

I have done what you said and it is not one app. It is the OS. The order does not matter and as I stated above - one time it was Google Maps, one time it was BBM, one time AIM, this time I can't get BBAppworld to load. After all the apps are installed there is still 90+ megabytes free. But thanks for your reply anyway.

-frank
    It seems to me that your issue isn't that the software and the hardware don't actually work, you're making it quite clear in your responses that they certainly work. It seems your frustration lies with the fact that the software and hardware don't work perfectly in your eyes.

The unfortunate reality, for you, is that such a thing doesn't exist. Some software and hardware works better than others but "perfect" software or hardware doesn't exist. Everything has problems, no matter how small they may be.
    10-21-09 02:18 PM
    maybe you should get a replacement phone as my tour runs great on the stock os.. I don't understand whats going on
    10-21-09 03:23 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD