This is my 3rd tour. Thought it was going well until I started using today and the trackball decided it would not go UP. Really getting frustrated.
    01-17-10 03:53 PM
    definitly unfortunate. Hope the next one is the charmer and works great. fingers crossed for ya.
    01-17-10 03:56 PM
    definitly unfortunate. Hope the next one is the charmer and works great. fingers crossed for ya.
    Thought I finally ahd one that worked...the first one was replaced because of reception, the second one was a trackball isuue, and not I have the dreaded trackball issue again... May look at an alternative... like the Droid.
    01-17-10 04:00 PM
    you look into the storm 2 I hear it is a major update from the storm 1 rthen again the droid - hear is awesome

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 04:08 PM
    Or just wait a month until the Tour2 releases and you won't have to worry about trackball issues...
    01-17-10 04:30 PM
    Trackball issues are normally horizontal. Mine will get stuck vertically and you just have to mess with it and it will come back.
    01-17-10 04:40 PM
    My son is on his 6th.
    01-17-10 05:17 PM
    Trackball issues are normally horizontal. Mine will get stuck vertically and you just have to mess with it and it will come back.
    I've even tried to beat the crap out of it and it wont come back... have to pull the battery just to get the mail to start at the top of list so I can delete them.
    01-17-10 05:21 PM
    I've even tried to beat the crap out of it and it wont come back... have to pull the battery just to get the mail to start at the top of list so I can delete them.
    Can save yourself a battery pull by pressing "T" to get you to the top of your mail list. "B" will take you to the bottom of the list.

Have you tried a can of that compressed air stuff? Worth a shot if its just something jammed in there. I've cleared a stuck trackball that way before but your mileage may vary.

01-17-10 06:05 PM
    Can save yourself a battery pull by pressing "T" to get you to the top of your mail list. "B" will take you to the bottom of the list.

Have you tried a can of that compressed air stuff? Worth a shot if its just something jammed in there. I've cleared a stuck trackball that way before but your mileage may vary.

Thanks for that shortcut... do you know one to move around my icons...I can't go up on them either.
    01-17-10 06:10 PM
    Trackball issue with mine also. Got a replacement. Seems to be okay. But if anything does come up, I'll call and get another and see where that goes.
    01-17-10 07:25 PM
    Trackball issue with mine also. Got a replacement. Seems to be okay. But if anything does come up, I'll call and get another and see where that goes.
    Its a pain in the a--. I am on the road and dont have my cable with me to back up exising unit to a replacement. Assuming Verizon would give me a replacement from the store or have to wait to Fed ex it to me. Anyway... just a pain being the thrid time.
    01-17-10 07:31 PM
    ya i have gone though 5 and am on the 6th now and its been working prett good now for a couple months. Once in a while it seems to get stuck but i have found thats usually because something just gets down under the trackball. I just roll it around really fast while pressing down and that usually fixes it.
    01-17-10 07:42 PM
    ^^^
    2nd

Do that but use denim between your finger and the trackball. Denim seems to work best because it's coarse and fairly lint-free. Lock the keyboard, then with the denim, press down on the trackball hard enough to depress the button, then vigorously rub vertically for awhile, then horizontally for awhile. Repeat until the debris is dislodged.

I honestly think people are sending in Tours by the droves that have nothing wrong with them except for some debris beneath the trackball. I think that people have been hearing about valid trackball issues with the first run of the Tour, then when they get one, the first time it gets stuck, back to VZW it goes.

This used to happen to my 8330 all the time, and it happens to my 9630 as well. It's just normal trackball maintenance in my opinion.

01-17-10 09:41 PM
    But after a 3rd replacement the carrier should offer an alternative. 3 devices another choice.
    01-17-10 11:15 PM
    I'm dreading going back to the store to get another Tour. The trackball gets stuck horizontal at times but I tell myself it's me. Fiddled around with the options for sensitivity but it helps only for a little while. Should go tomorrow and pick up the new Bold since it has the trackpad or the Storm2. Ugh.

My friend got the Tour and within a week the sound was gone and the trackball stuck. So even new shipments have issues.
    01-17-10 11:28 PM
    Thought I finally ahd one that worked...the first one was replaced because of reception, the second one was a trackball isuue, and not I have the dreaded trackball issue again... May look at an alternative... like the Droid.

Good luck trying to get verizon to give you a replacement device that isnt the one you have.
    01-18-10 03:07 AM
    I got it working... Huffed and Puffed and must have blown it clean.
    01-18-10 05:48 PM
    I got it working... Huffed and Puffed and must have blown it clean.
    Nice! That's what I'm saying, I think a lot of Tours go back when they don't have to.

01-18-10 05:51 PM
    verizon changed their rules where they'll swap out to a different device after the 3rd replacement.
    01-20-10 11:09 AM
    maybe u r being too rough on them....every phone will be the same way for you
    01-21-10 07:37 PM
    But after a 3rd replacement the carrier should offer an alternative. 3 devices another choice.
    I agree. I had an issue with my last (dumb) non-smart phone from Verizon. I had it replaced with an enV2, one of the best phones i've ever had, really. Until my Tour that is Actually, this is my 2nd Tour. First one was replaced because of the dreaded 'JUM error' bricking whatever you call it.
    01-22-10 02:21 PM
    I am on my 3rd Tour. the first one bricked. the second one had a "sticky" trackball, but I was always able to free it up and it was actually not a huge issue (as others have stated in this thread). however, this third one I am having the strangest trackball issue yet. most times when I place the cursor over an item and push the trackball in to select said item, the cursor jumps and selects the wrong item! this is the most frustrating thing I have ever encountered on my BlackBerries. i have tried changing the sensitivity settings to no avail. I have never encountered this problem on my previous BlackBerry or my girlfriends BlackBerry - this is new to me....

anyhow just venting, but following the theme of this thread I am actually so frustrated that I wouldnt mind trying a Storm2 this time if Verizon would allow you to change to a different device...but I will probably end up with a 4th Tour.
    01-22-10 03:32 PM
    My question is, do the people who have trackball problems keep it unsheathed in their pockets?
    01-22-10 09:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD