AT&T has a faster 3G network than Verizon.
    When you can get 3g coverage
    07-29-09 03:39 PM
    3G on Sprint is just fine:

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::
    Download Connection is:: 2374 Kbps about 2.37 Mbps (tested with 3072 kB)
    Download Speed is:: 290 kB/s
    Upload Connection is:: 431 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)
    Upload Speed is:: 53 kB/s
    Tested From:: Broadband Speed Test and Internet Bandwidth Community (Main)
    Test Time:: 2009/07/29 - 3:44pm
    D-Validation Link:: Member Stats
    U-Validation Link:: Member Stats
    User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) [!]

My data card to the same test server:

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::
    Download Connection is:: 2133 Kbps about 2.13 Mbps (tested with 3072 kB)
    Download Speed is:: 260 kB/s
    Upload Connection is:: 679 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)
    Upload Speed is:: 83 kB/s
    Tested From:: Broadband Speed Test and Internet Bandwidth Community (Main)
    Test Time:: 2009/07/29 - 3:49pm
    D-Validation Link:: Member Stats
    U-Validation Link:: Member Stats
    User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) [!]

The phone competes rather well with my data card...
    07-29-09 04:49 PM
    for the 30 thousandth time, verizon has never said they have the fastest network, they have the most realible
    Agree

...att has always been faster.
    Can you prove this with hard facts rather than marketing? (hint: there is no way to substantiate a claim like this - too many variables and it's generally impossible - i.e. 20,000 iPhones pulling data in your region - at the same time - create a bottleneck that could slow any network down).

AT&T no longer states that they have the fastest network. This is classic for them - they make some stupid claim until someone calls "BS" or they get sued.

To the original topic/posting, I completely DISagree. I find the Tour to be VERY fast (compared to my Storm, 8703e, and other "3G" devices). This is subjective and due to the browser rather than the network. It's like sticking a new gaming rig on a network - Ethernet is, after all, contention-based...
    07-29-09 05:04 PM
    I still say read page 36 in your Tour tips,hints and short cuts booklet.
    3G says you can do a number things "simultaneously", but on EDGE and 1XEV it leaves that word out. As well as saying the coverage level might limit the use of some smart phone features.

I'm just saying........ it's there for a reason.

James
    07-29-09 07:50 PM
    Have either of you even held a Tour, let alone used one?

It is by far the best BB browser to date, I haven't used my Opera Mini since I installed it, and Bolt is garbage.
    Yes I have used the tour. The bb browser is the worse browser when it comes to speed. Opera Mini is damn near as fast as my desktop computer.
    07-30-09 10:56 AM
    Also, though Att may be slightly faster than Verizon. Verizon 3g coverage is damn near 8 times the size of Att 3g coverage. Infact I dont even have Att 3g coverage at my home and I stay in a state that Att Wireless headquarters operate in. But yet I have full bars of Verizons Evdo 3g coverage.

Verizon 3g coverage is even twice the size of Sprint's network.
    07-30-09 11:11 AM
    I was playing with a Tour yesterday at a store and while downloading WHERE from the app store it took longer than I expected for something that was about 300KB. That was certainly surprising.
    07-30-09 12:12 PM
    Agree

Can you prove this with hard facts rather than marketing? (hint: there is no way to substantiate a claim like this - too many variables and it's generally impossible - i.e. 20,000 iPhones pulling data in your region - at the same time - create a bottleneck that could slow any network down).

AT&T no longer states that they have the fastest network. This is classic for them - they make some stupid claim until someone calls "BS" or they get sued.

To the original topic/posting, I completely DISagree. I find the Tour to be VERY fast (compared to my Storm, 8703e, and other "3G" devices). This is subjective and due to the browser rather than the network. It's like sticking a new gaming rig on a network - Ethernet is, after all, contention-based...
    On my old tilt I got speeds of about 900k down with ATT. With both my storm and Tour in varying places in the city The best I have gotten was 185k. And that's the best - by no means the norm.
    07-30-09 12:49 PM
    Sounds like Palm OS all over again.
    07-30-09 01:07 PM
    3G = 3rd generation.

that is all.

edit: to clarify. analog = 1st gen. digital = 2nd gen. EVDO Rev. 0 and Rev. A = 3rd gen or 3G

LTE = 4G when it rolls out starting mid 2010
    For completeness, 1xRTT is 2.5 G
    07-30-09 01:10 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD