Actually, the torch comes with 4GB of internal memory and a 4 GB media card...
    Originally Posted by berryjunkie:
    The DSW won't touch the media card. Just switch media cards. The 9800 comes w/an 8gig card so if the one you have is smaller, plug your old card into your comp (via your phone) make a file and drag the info to it. Switch devices and drag-n-drop them to the new card. Simple!!

Aaaa.......yeah. Dude was talkin media card, not on board mem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 08:37 PM
    Ummm....the updated version of the Mac Desktop manager to handle the torch was actually released before the updated Blackberry Desktop Manager 6 (Here's yesterday's story BlackBerry Desktop Manager 6 now available for download | CrackBerry.com , and the story about Mac Desktop manager from August 5 BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Mac updated to v1.0.4 with Torch 9800 support | CrackBerry.com)....

And Mac users can use the Desktop Manager to update their device...I've done it...twice....in fact, I can pretty much do everything on the Mac version of the Desktop Manager that I can on the PC version I use at work (minus tether). I can't sync with groupwise on the Mac version, but I don't blame that on Apple or RIM, I blame it on Novell, who has a less than stellar version of their client for Mac, which reminds me of using a Super Nintendo compared to the version for Windows, which would be the Wii in that analogy.
    Ah, I see. They updated the software, but left the version number the name (1.0.4.). That's pretty darn confusing. I have version 1.0.4., so most would think "Why would I want to update to, uh, version 1.0.4.?" Also, if you select look for updates, it doesn't find any, which isn't surprising since it's "updating" to the same version number.

Without major hacking/access to a PC, you can only update your device if the software is specifically released by your wireless company. AT&T forgot about the Bold 9000 forever ago and is still on OS 4.6. So for me, no, I can't update my Bold 9000 to the current OS without a PC. It might be different for people with different BBerrys/carriers, but it doesn't refute the bottom line: the Mac desktop manager lacks many crucial features the PC version has. I still don't see anywhere on the Mac version how to switch devices. Huge deal.

For me at least, I constantly have errors when trying to do simple things like backing up my BBerry. If it can't handle a simple back-up, it's worthless. This leaves a large portion of potential and existing customers with Macs S.O.L.. RIM should be happy we're not Apple fanboys using iPhones and embrace Mac users. There are more people using Macs than ever.
    Last edited by Grantith; 08-11-10 at 08:46 PM.
    08-11-10 08:41 PM
    cool...mine is bigger!! I will just slide it in.

That sounds like talk for a DIFFERENT kind of message board......
    08-11-10 09:49 PM
    cool...mine is bigger!! I will just slide it in.

That sounds like talk for a DIFFERENT kind of message board......
    Ha ha...keep it clean, homie
    08-11-10 10:02 PM
    Whatever you do before you run Device Switch, delete FB, Twitter, and BBM from your old phone first. Device Switch backs them up, and loads them onto the Torch.

I can't find BBM, though it shows up -- twice -- in the Options > Device > Applications Management screen (v5.0.1.34, which is undeletable, and v5.0.1.38, which I can delete), I was a Beta Zone tester for FB 1.8 but my keycode isn't accepted after the 1.8 beta was Device Switched onto the Torch (overwriting a non-beta version of 1.8), and there are two versions of Twitter, but that seems to work OK.

In short, if you have any BB "Add-On Apps" on your old phone -- get rid of them before you run Device Switch.
    08-12-10 11:34 AM
    So tried the device switch and keeps erroring out. I'm thinking some of the 3rd party apps are not compatable. So I'm removing all apps now and will give it another try.
    08-12-10 11:35 AM
    Whatever you do before you run Device Switch, delete FB, Twitter, and BBM from your old phone first. Device Switch backs them up, and loads them onto the Torch.

I can't find BBM, though it shows up -- twice -- in the Options > Device > Applications Management screen (v5.0.1.34, which is undeletable, and v5.0.1.38, which I can delete), I was a Beta Zone tester for FB 1.8 but my keycode isn't accepted after the 1.8 beta was Device Switched onto the Torch (overwriting a non-beta version of 1.8), and there are two versions of Twitter, but that seems to work OK.

In short, if you have any BB "Add-On Apps" on your old phone -- get rid of them before you run Device Switch.
    Hey man-I'm on bbm 5.0.1.38. You think I should dtill delete?
    08-12-10 11:55 AM
    All worked good for me except it does not know which number to call for VVM!
    08-12-10 12:04 PM
    All worked good for me except it does not know which number to call for VVM!
    Did you delete bbm 1st?
    08-12-10 12:06 PM
    I got one error about restoring OMA DM database... but it doesn't seem to have affected anything as far as I can tell. I wonder if it just had to do with some incompatible themes or something.
    08-12-10 12:09 PM
    I found out about BBM the hard way...lol...no biggie, just deleted it, ran it again and all was good.

However, I cant seem to find anything but the stock 34 or so ringtones...my 9700 had a whole bunch of alerts, alarms, and notifiers...
    08-12-10 12:26 PM
    For me it is crashing on several applications. Even Blackberry's own Appworld crashed!
    08-12-10 08:05 PM
    Mine is running running like a champ!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-10 08:13 PM
    I found out about BBM the hard way...lol...no biggie, just deleted it, ran it again and all was good.

However, I cant seem to find anything but the stock 34 or so ringtones...my 9700 had a whole bunch of alerts, alarms, and notifiers...
    Device Switch Wizard won't transfer anything on your memory card, so if those were saved on your memory card, they won't transfer over unless you do it manually.
    08-13-10 12:12 AM
    i did a restore from my 9700 only on wide data since they are different phones, everything went well and fast. i like 6.0 better than 5 its more information and so smooth.
    08-13-10 02:27 AM

more options on the torch, i see took me longer time to setup everything its smooth.
    08-13-10 02:28 AM
    I used the device manager "Switch devices" last night to migrate my contacts, calendar, etc. Worked without a flaw. Had no issues with BBM. Did not try to move apps as I thought I'd need newer versions. I am running an older devie manager software that came with my Bold.
    Love this new phone!
    Later,
    B.
    08-13-10 09:31 AM
    I still don't know why I'd use device switcher. I've always just downloaded my apps clean and reinstalled my phone. Then I manually restore my dictionary and autocorrect.
    08-13-10 04:22 PM
    I was thinking of doing a partial backup (address book and calendar and maybe browser bookmarks). Can I then just do a restore from that file? I don't mind downloading all the apps again just to be safe.
    09-11-10 12:23 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD