I have already installed the new Desktop Manager 6.0 that I downloaded from the RIM site.

I am thinking the safest way to not have a problem is the just restore my 9800 data from a back up rather than do the Switch Device thing. Anyone worried it might bring erroneous crap into the new 6.0 OS.

Maybe it would be better to redo my settings after the data install to make sure all is clean and working correctly. Some of the 5.0 setting would not be applicable to the new 6.0 software.

What do you think?
    08-11-10 06:01 AM
    I'm sure the new DM will take into account switching from OS 4 or 5 to OS 6 and will transfer things appropriately. This probably means using the device switch wizard for best results.
    08-11-10 06:24 AM
    +1

A lot of people have just used Device Switch to back up 3rd party apps, but moving from one BB to another is obviously what it's for. So since 6.0 was designed to support OS 6.0 and the Torch, it would definitely seem the way to go.
    08-11-10 06:29 AM
    You are giving me confidence. There is no doubt that SDW has always worked well for me in the past. I guess I need to trust RIM and go for it.

Also does anyone know if Docs to Go will be included software with the 9800?
    08-11-10 06:49 AM
    I tried to switch devices from my 9700 to my 9800 using the DM v6 Switch Device feature and it crashed when it got to installing the Facebook beta version. Now I have to wipe the device and start over.

I am "moving in" manually!
    08-11-10 06:58 AM
    I tried to switch devices from my 9700 to my 9800 using the DM v6 Switch Device feature and it crashed when it got to installing the Facebook beta version. Now I have to wipe the device and start over.

I am "moving in" manually!
    Pertinent question: was this the legitimate beta from the BB Beta Zone or the "leaked" one with the pass key feature overriden?

Edit: wait a minute -- FB 1.8 comes on the device, so why in the name of all that is holy were you installing the beta 1.8 on your Torch (and how did you get a Torch a day early in any event)?

I smell pilot error at a minimum.

Edit 2: never mind about how you got a Torch, I see you got one at the rollout party. Still, not sure why you installed the FB 1.8 beta when FB 1.8 is already on the Torch. Probably best to delete any "unauthorized" (or perhaps even authorized) versions of the FB 1.8 beta from the old phone before running Device Switch.
    Last edited by JasW; 08-11-10 at 07:33 AM.
    08-11-10 07:04 AM
    Pertinent question: was this the legitimate beta from the BB Beta Zone or the "leaked" one with the pass key feature overriden?

Edit: wait a minute -- FB 1.8 comes on the device, so why in the name of all that is holy were you installing the beta 1.8 on your Torch (and how did you get a Torch a day early in any event)?

I smell pilot error at a minimum.
    Ahh....Deff a great question. I orig installed the BBBZ FB app. I inadvertently lost it (long story) and tried to reinstall from BBBZ and it was no longer available, so I "Teed" up the pass key version. Guess I'll be deleting that before I port!! May d/g the FB app from App World
    I've been using DM6 for a couple weeks or more. (can't remember)
    I'm thinking I may just b/u my 9700, install critical apps on the 9800 and restore the "essential" stuff from that b/u to the 9800. DM6 seems to port all the 3rd party app data, which never seemed to happen before.

But....DSW would probably be the quickest & easiest.
    08-11-10 07:58 AM
    i will use the device switch. if it trashes the OS then ill just reload it no biggy :P
    08-11-10 08:36 AM
    I always (and will tomorrow morning) do a full back up, including 3rd party apps.

Then I will use the switch device wizard. If anything goes wrong on either device during the DSW process, I'll still have my separate back up.
    08-11-10 09:08 AM
    I would upgrade DM to 6.0 and backup everything possile on the old device and do the DSW.
    08-11-10 09:16 AM
    I have a Pearl 8110 with the latest AT&T software and should be getting my Torch from BB tomorrow. Will DSW work or do I need to do everything manually? I've never used DSW before so not sure how it works.

Thanks!
    08-11-10 09:36 AM
    I have a Pearl 8110 with the latest AT&T software and should be getting my Torch from BB tomorrow. Will DSW work or do I need to do everything manually? I've never used DSW before so not sure how it works.

Thanks!
    Should work just fine. I've done it a bunch of times.
    Load DM6 first. I think it comes on the disk provided, Or get if from CB then follow the yellow brick road.
    You'll be fine!
    08-11-10 09:40 AM
    Should work just fine. I've done it a bunch of times.
    Load DM6 first. I think it comes on the disk provided, Or get if from CB then follow the yellow brick road.
    You'll be fine!
    Great. Thanks! I downloaded DM6 this morning so I'm ready to go - just need the phone.

I just printed the User Guide. It's 277 pages! Just killed a lot of trees, but now I can read it while I'm in my meeting. Can't wait until tomorrow.
    08-11-10 09:48 AM
    If you have backups, there really isn't anything to worry about.
    08-11-10 09:50 AM
    Great. Thanks! I downloaded DM6 this morning so I'm ready to go - just need the phone.

I just printed the User Guide. It's 277 pages! Just killed a lot of trees, but now I can read it while I'm in my meeting. Can't wait until tomorrow.
    Woah...dude, you're hard core. Just save it as s word doc. Drag it to your bb media card and open it in Docs to go.
    08-11-10 09:58 AM
    Will "Docs to Go" be part of the 9800 software package?
    08-11-10 11:00 AM
    Will "Docs to Go" be part of the 9800 software package?
    It's actually "sheets to go" "Word to go" and "Slideshow to go" just like the 9700
    08-11-10 11:10 AM
    The answer to this question is probably **** NO, but did RIM update the Mac version of the Desktop Software? Are Mac users going to even be able to use the 9800 at all (obviously use it, but not to its full potential without desktop software to sync/update/restore/etc.)

I'm doubtful. We Mac users will probably get an updated desktop version in about a year, and it'll continue to lack half the features of the PC version. I don't even know why they released the first version. It's a waste of time.

If RIM wants to gain marketshare, they have to realize that Apple isn't going away. I've had to go to great lengths to find someone with a PC I could borrow so I could actually update my phone. It's pretty crazy that Mac users can't even upgrade their software on the desktop app (I have a Bold 9000. AT&T won't ever release the OS 5 on it, so I had to use a PC to install OS 5).

Nevertheless, I'll be at an AT&T store at 9AM tomorrow. So excited, but I wish RIM would care a little more about a substantial portion of their user-base.
    Last edited by Grantith; 08-11-10 at 05:02 PM.
    08-11-10 04:59 PM
    The answer to this question is probably **** NO, but did RIM update the Mac version of the Desktop Software? Are Mac users going to even be able to use the 9800 at all (obviously use it, but not to its full potential without desktop software to sync/update/restore/etc.)

I'm doubtful. We Mac users will probably get an updated desktop version in about a year, and it'll continue to lack half the features of the PC version. I don't even know why they released the first version. It's a waste of time.

If RIM wants to gain marketshare, they have to realize that Apple isn't going away. I've had to go to great lengths to find someone with a PC I could borrow so I could actually update my phone. It's pretty crazy that Mac users can't even upgrade their software on the desktop app (I have a Bold 9000. AT&T won't ever release the OS 5 on it, so I had to use a PC to install OS 5).

Nevertheless, I'll be at an AT&T store at 9AM tomorrow. So excited, but I wish RIM would care a little more about a substantial portion of their user-base.
    Yes, they really do need to better integrate DM as well as their developer software (especially Theme Builder) to work with Mac.
    08-11-10 05:11 PM

Ummm....the updated version of the Mac Desktop manager to handle the torch was actually released before the updated Blackberry Desktop Manager 6 (Here's yesterday's story BlackBerry Desktop Manager 6 now available for download | CrackBerry.com , and the story about Mac Desktop manager from August 5 BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Mac updated to v1.0.4 with Torch 9800 support | CrackBerry.com)....

And Mac users can use the Desktop Manager to update their device...I've done it...twice....in fact, I can pretty much do everything on the Mac version of the Desktop Manager that I can on the PC version I use at work (minus tether). I can't sync with groupwise on the Mac version, but I don't blame that on Apple or RIM, I blame it on Novell, who has a less than stellar version of their client for Mac, which reminds me of using a Super Nintendo compared to the version for Windows, which would be the Wii in that analogy.
    Last edited by dasbeav; 08-11-10 at 05:58 PM.
    08-11-10 05:50 PM
    Can you use the device switch wizard thingy to transfer files from your media card on your old device to the new device??
    08-11-10 06:47 PM
    Can you use the device switch wizard thingy to transfer files from your media card on your old device to the new device??
    The DSW won't touch the media card. Just switch media cards. The 9800 comes w/an 8gig card so if the one you have is smaller, plug your old card into your comp (via your phone) make a file and drag the info to it. Switch devices and drag-n-drop them to the new card. Simple!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 06:56 PM
    you make it sound easy.....i am a dummy tho.
    I have an 6 gig card so I am going to try to do what you said.
    Wish me luck.
    08-11-10 07:08 PM
    The DSW won't touch the media card. Just switch media cards. The 9800 comes w/an 8gig card so if the one you have is smaller, plug your old card into your comp (via your phone) make a file and drag the info to it. Switch devices and drag-n-drop them to the new card. Simple!!

Actually, the torch comes with 4GB of internal memory and a 4 GB media card...
    08-11-10 07:14 PM
    you make it sound easy.....i am a dummy tho.
    I have an 6 gig card so I am going to try to do what you said.
    Wish me luck.
    The card you have is bigger than the one that comes w/the Torch. Just slip it in the torch!

08-11-10 08:32 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD